5.0 out of 5 stars I was listening to radio 3 with half an ear..., 3 Feb 2009
Wil Andersen (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Razor Blades, Little Pills & Big Pianos (Audio CD)
..while doing something else - as one does. Someone was being interviewed - drugs, self abuse - didn't pay any attention. And then some of the most extraordinary piano playing I have heard in a long time. I listened enthralled to the end. Heard a reference to a forthcoming CD and rushed to Amazon to order it.

Rhodes is a very talented player. His Bach and Chopin were a revelation - and I have heard both pieces so many times it is hard to believe I could find anything new - but Rhodes found it.

So - a strong recommendation. I shall be seeking out a live performance - and future CDs.

Thank you Radio 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars the perfect answer to a little escape from life, 25 Feb 2009
This review is from: Razor Blades, Little Pills & Big Pianos (Audio CD)
i bought this cd because a friend recommended it and i am so glad she did! i used to listen to classical music when i was younger...my mum was into it...but never paid that much attention. now listening to james play, it reminds me of my youth, being a young girl and not having to think about much in life. how things can be quite simple and easy to overcome. i can't believe i got all this from bach, chopin and james rhodes. a big thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing classical music to the younger audience, 27 Oct 2010
William Stafford "klunt" (Dudley, West Midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Razor Blades, Little Pills & Big Pianos (Audio CD)
Brilliant pianist, James Rhodes's first album is packaged like an alternative indie album but perhaps we shouldn't judge a CD by its cover. What matters is how it sounds. And you'll find no complaints from me here. The music is sublime - you marvel at its beauty as much as you marvel at the playing.

If James Rhodes,attracts more young listeners to this kind of music, that can only be good, but die-hard Classical enthusiasts will find nothing to displease them either. He is more than a 'gateway' performer, opening the door to other more conventionally marketed performers. He is rapidly becoming one of the greats himself.

Also, follow him on Twitter at @JRhodespianist - he's a right laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible album - with an incredible story behind it..., 11 Feb 2009
This review is from: Razor Blades, Little Pills & Big Pianos (Audio CD)
This is an exceptional album - great pieces, passionate and innovative interpretation, and a true story of triumph for the pianist. Interestingly - I think the best bits are saved for the end.

I recently saw him play at the queen elizabeth hall at the southbank centre in London, and the recital was electric - there was a real buzz about what we were hearing.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars More good music, 16 April 2014
K. Laurence - See all my reviews
Enjoyed this CD too.
I haven't been a great fan of piano but this and Live in Brighton have changed my attitude to it.
Must listen again soon!!

5.0 out of 5 stars all round excellent, 26 July 2013
Hambletta-Maud "hamble" (somewhere in west europe) - See all my reviews
Great selection, beautifully performed, extremely well recorded. An excellent album. And these are the extra words I need in order to publish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 15 Jun 2009
Mr. C. Moss - See all my reviews
This review is from: Razor Blades, Little Pills & Big Pianos (Audio CD)
Heard an interview with him on Radio 3 which prompted me to buy the album and I'm glad I did. Good range of pieces, performed very well. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stand out album, 23 May 2009
Chris Pearson - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Razor Blades, Little Pills & Big Pianos (Audio CD)
I too heard snatches of this album and Rhodes speaking about it on the radio.

I feared it may be another cross-over album given it's chart rank and 'rock positioning'.

But no, it's an album of great piano music and superb performances.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 8 May 2011
Ms (Glasgow, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Razor Blades, Little Pills & Big Pianos (Audio CD)
I am a big fan of Bach and James Rhodes interpretations are by far the best I have heard - ever. Played with such depth and feeling, i can feel the emotion of each note in my body. James Rhodes who I recently discovered on Radio 4, is not only a breath of fresh air in his style and approach to Piano, but he plays like an angel. The french suite on this cd is exquisite. If you love Piano then you absolutely must listen to Rhodes playing. My only fear is that he will become so popular I may never get tickets to see him.

5.0 out of 5 stars James Rhodes - Razor Blades, Little Pills & Big Pianos, 25 Mar 2011
This review is from: Razor Blades, Little Pills & Big Pianos (Audio CD)
another good listen for car travel. He certainly is a skilled performer and find I never tire of his rendering of Bach

Razor Blades, Little Pills & Big Pianos
Razor Blades, Little Pills & Big Pianos by James Rhodes (Audio CD - 2009)