5.0 out of 5 stars An ideal communicator
I needed a radio link for sailing as I am concerned with safety for disabled sailors.

I have tried other radios but they were unreliable for my purpose.

Published on 27 Jun. 2010 by Bryan R

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing range.
Having now used them for their intended purpose I am pretty dissapointed that it is not really pointed out that they are pretty much "line of sight" radio's and as soon as the line of sight is broken, that they need to be within 1km not 10km as described on this website.

Published 21 months ago by J. Kirby

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An ideal communicator, 27 Jun. 2010
Bryan R (East Anglia U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doro WT91X/PRO Extended Range 2-Way Radio (Electronics)

I have tried other radios but they were unreliable for my purpose.

This set has well exceeded published performance; clear communication, simple set up and use and long battery life. The best feature is that it really is waterproof and survived a 24 hour race in driving rain!

It was more expensive than some but worth every penny. I will be buying some more for the group.

4.0 out of 5 stars good for skiing, 24 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Doro WT91X/PRO Extended Range 2-Way Radio (Electronics)
I bought 4 of these devices so that I could give one to each of the family whilst skiing. My daughter likes to ski ahead and/or wait until everybody is gone and I'm not about to give her a mobile phone and get stuck with international roaming charges :-) Anyway, turns out these little devices are excellent, much easer to use than a mobile phone (basically I had one stuck in my ski jackets breast pocket and max volume), and last for several days without charging. So overall a good buy, and my wife agrees (needless to say my 4 year old son thinks its cool because he looks like the police).

About the device: its really sturdy (my 4 year old covered it in a mountain of snow), its easy to use (again , my 4 year old can use it), and you can lock the configuration (which means my kids won't accidentally change the channel/volume)

About the reception: as long as you are on the same slope it works perfect, but when there is a hill/mountain in the middle don't expect miracles, reception will cut out. Overall I think I got about 2-3 km out of it in the rather mountainous ski area we went to (Switzerland/France)

the device look cool, are easy to use and have a medium level reception (its not a police grade TETRA radio ... then again they don't cost as much), good for skiing and other activity holidays, very sturdy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doro WT91X PMR, 24 Jun. 2011
Doro WT91X/PRO Extended Range 2-Way Radio
These radio's are great, they are easy to setup and come well equipped with everything you'll possibly need, the quality of their build gives you confidence that they are likely to last even given the occasional knock here and there. The range that I used them in was less than 1km within a town centre and I can't fault them. I would purchase again without hesitation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Doro water proof radio, 15 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Doro WT91X/PRO Extended Range 2-Way Radio (Electronics)
I've tested my Doro radios by dunking them several times and they both work fine, although a little quieter than when dry. Easy to use and compact, my only grumble is the lack of a robust place to tether a floatation device- as they don't float!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing range., 31 July 2013
J. Kirby (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Doro WT91X/PRO Extended Range 2-Way Radio (Electronics)

I wanted them for use while out Kayaking to contact my family on the shoreline both for general conversation and also in case of emergency so the waterproof nature of this unit really appealed. In reality what I found was thet 4-500 yds out to sea they worked fine but as soon as I went round a few rocks about 0.75km out, they completely lost contact with each other.

They definately are splash proof as they got a bit wet in the Kayak although I did not deliberatly try to submerge them so cant confirm that they are 100% waterproof, and I did expect a reduction in signal when not in "line of sight" but be aware that the range drops off dramatically as soon as any object is put between them.

Looks like I might have to go the more expensive, licensed VHF route!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job!, 6 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Doro WT91X/PRO Extended Range 2-Way Radio (Electronics)
I bought these to use on the farm so that we can stay in contact between the barns and when checking the sheep in the top field. They work across a hilly terrain over 3miles and between metal barns and out buildings spread across the farm yard. They are rugged and robust and work well in tractors. Really good bit of kit that even my 74 yr old father in law has mastered as they are so simple. Good battery life too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst piece of kit I ever ever bought, 29 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Doro WT91X/PRO Extended Range 2-Way Radio (Electronics)
This set of 2-way radios, due to replace a Binatone 750 that drowned failed me completely.
To start with, batteries are worthless. After buying it, I fully charged for 48 hours. One week later, on arrival to ski resort, I let them charge for 10 hours. Next day, I could not even turn these on for more than 5 mn, and consequently used some non rechargable batteries next day. But that wasn't even the worst part. I can compare with cheaper Binatone since I used these a few years earlier in the exact same place. The Binatone would consistently be able to work from 3 km away INTO A CONCRETE BUILDING. Always. Even in the worst meteo.
These Doro would sometime fail at shouting distance (100m) in great weather, and sometimes work from 800m (the best I ever got). And don't assume that because it works one way, it will work the other way ! Even in a mountain ! That created a lot of confusion, and we ended up leaving the radios home.
To finish with, the radios would consistently catch emissions from other radios they shouldn't, and the build quality in mediocre, splash proof, but I doubt waterproof.

Buy a Binatone, put it in a sandwich bag for water, you'll be better served.

Would have scored 0 star if it were possible.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't seem waterproof to me, 9 Aug. 2013
M. P. Thomas - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doro WT91X/PRO Extended Range 2-Way Radio (Electronics)
I bought these for water sports (mainly kayaking) based on the description that they have a "waterproof case". I used them on the water for the first time last week and the results were not good: my handset was fully immersed following a capsize. Although the handset still transmitted and received, the volume was almost inaudible. The only way I could hear anything at all was to put the handset hard up against my ear - not ideal when you're trying to paddle or in an environment that is far from silent. Fine for knocking around the street or a campsite, but not fit for my purpose of functioning fully and clearly after a dunking. I tested it later against the radio that had stayed on land - that one was fine, mine was deathly quiet, meaning that it was clearly the water that had interfered with performance. Returned for refund.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent walkies for the money, 29 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Doro WT91X/PRO Extended Range 2-Way Radio (Electronics)
These have served me well over the years in a variety of situations. They are good enough to keep you in contact over small distances. At festivals even if there is signal sometimes you cant get through because there are so many people trying to connect through one tower, so having a walkie is very useful.

Pros:
*excellent short range quality, plenty loud, crystal clear.
*water proofish - I'v dropped them in puddles of mud many times and they survived, wouldn't suggest going for swim with them in your pockets however.
*Many channels, the cheap ones only have 10 so if your in a crowded place you will have loads of people talking over you. Not a problem with these.
*Alarm function - This is basically like a call button or a ring tone. It gets the other persons attention if you are trying to hail them and they are in a loud area.
*Hands free set included - These can come in very handy. I did a bike ride with a friend and we used these to keep in contact when on the road. There is an auto call function whereby if you talk in to the mic for long enough it will start transmitting, so they really are hands free, no need to push the button to talk. Great while riding a bike.
*There are also compatible motorbike kits that have helmet speakers and mics, and a waterproof button for the handle bar to hail with. This was incredibly useful when taking a motorbike journey the length of Vietnam with a friend,they literally saved lives at certain points as we were able to warn each other of hazards.

Cons
*batteries
*batteries
*batteries such a pain having to lug batteries around with these things. If you are taking them away on a trip where there is no power available you will need to bring lots of replacements as they wont even last a day of constant use in my experience.
*Range and quality at range are not excellent but for the price you really cant complain. They get the job done

5.0 out of 5 stars Communication, 12 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Doro WT91X/PRO Extended Range 2-Way Radio (Electronics)
Bought as a gift. Work extremely well indeed. Have been tested to full capacity in terms of distance. Clarity very good. Easy to use. Woudl recommend.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›