Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Refreshed in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now

Format: MP3 DownloadChange

on 30 July 2007
At last, a new Kim Richey album, her first new collection of songs in 5 years and her 6th overall. Kim hails from Ohio and is a truly accomplished singer songwriter, her best 2 examples in the 90's, being Nobody Wins for Radney Foster and Believe Me Baby (I Lied) a number one single for Trisha Yearwood.

This album is produced by Giles Martin (son of George) who recently produced the very worthwhile Love album of Beatles songs. Kim's voice on this album sounds better than ever and she and her band as usual play with delicate pleasure. The emphasis here is on quality rather than quantity, could have done perhaps with 2 additional songs to boost the overall time of the album (my only grouse and reason for not giving the 5 stars the songs probably deserve).

Comparisons to Suzanne Vega (first track especially) and Sheryl Crow (Wildflowers), would be my idea of recommendation. She is definitely more pop than country these days but then again if you ever listen to the outstanding album Glimmer, was she ever country ?

My favourite tracks are the Title track, the co-write with Mindy Smith, called Drift, my current fave Turn Me, I Will Follow, Something To Say and Not A Love Like This.

Recommended and certainly back on form after the patchy Rise. Mind you, loved the album cover.

Album History for information with my Stand Out tracks :-

Self Titled - 1995 (You'll Never Know)
Bitter Sweet - 1997 (The Lonesome Side Of Town)
Glimmer - 1999 (Didnt I/So It Goes)
Rise - 2002 (Cowards In a Brave New World)
Collection - 2004 (Every River)
on 11 May 2011
I have had this particular album for some time and it has compelled me to write this my first review on Amazon for music. This is a good quality album with some very worthwhile songs. What I like about it is it's understated quality. Granted there are singers who are technically some way above Ms Richey but so many female singers, along with their engineers and producers, feel they have to throw everything at us to get our attention. It is refreshing to have something like this that is human paced, sans over the top effects and quietly reflective. The recording is good quality to boot (are you listening.......literally you engineers? Wean yourself off the compressors and all the other tricks you pull to try and stay ahead please!). Love the title track. The poetic lyric encapsulates a certain type of individual beautifully getting right to the heart of the matter. I did notice that some of the songs are very similar rhythmically (listen to the kick from track to track and you'll see what I mean) but then it gives you a clue to the fact that she does have something to communicate. Some people love complex arrangements and harmonic fireworks this album is not that. It is a collection of grown up asides and observations though (It would probably hit quite hard if you had recently been through some kind of break up or relationship difficulty I think) presented honestly and professionally. Worth buying most definitely. Four well earned stars to Ms Richey and the gang of many!
on 29 November 2014