5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Classic!
In my opinion this is the Pet Shop Boys' best ever album. I bought it originally on vinyl and thought I had better purchase it on a newer format.

It contains the first song that got me into the Pet Shop Boys, 'It's a Sin', along with lots of other great tracks including 'Rent' and 'Heart'. Even the non-single tracks are brilliant.

I also took the...
Published on 20 April 2009 by Oriana

3.0 out of 5 stars check which version you are buying
this is a classic petshop boys album a must for fans and lovers of 80s tunes
longer version of Rent - outstanding.

but i made the mistake of buying this version on impulse and didn't realise there is a 2 disc version that is actually cheaper, bummer
Published 18 months ago by Aldo

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Classic!, 20 April 2009
This review is from: Actually (Audio CD)

I also took the opportunity to update my collection with CD versions of 'Please' and 'Introspective' at the same time. Delivery was swift, and including delivery the three CDs cost under 17 total!

I would recommend Amazon to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nearly the Best, 21 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Actually (Audio CD)
This the PSB second album is one that sounds the most dated. This album seems to contain the best and worst of the boys. Its easier for me to mention the worst "Shopping" and "Hit Music" sound very dated and silly, but elsewhere there are great tracks to be found. "One More Chance" is the opener and is one of their best songs with fantastic production. Elsewhere we have "Its a Sin", "what have I done to deserve this?", "Heart", "Kings Cross" and a few more. Again the bonus CD is worth a listen and contains some good remixes and unreleased tracks, but togther with the remastering and packaging this is still an essential purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars "ACTUALLY REMASTERED!!", 25 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Actually (Audio CD)
My favorite album of Pet Shop Boys. An excellent mixture of situations of that time, united in one of their maximum points of creativity. "It's a sin", What have I done to deserve this?", " Rent ", " Heart ", transformed in classic. Personally I love "It Couldn't Happen Here", with Morricone's collaboration in the composition. Songs and remixes impossible to find at the moment, are included in the CD 2. ¡A collection piece!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Their finest moment, 13 Nov 2007
J. I. De Beresford "safemouse" (Farnham) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: PET SHOP BOYS-Actually (Audio CD)
This is one classy, catchy, dancey, trippy (oh yes) and poignant album, yet nobody seems to know it. For me, there is nothing the Beatles did that is as sad and moving as It couldn't happen here, save perhaps Blackbird, but for me the latter gets a bit boring when you've heard it a certain number of times. And great though the Beatles are the elephant in the room that nobody has had the wit to talk about viz their songs is that they're not really that great to do disco moves to. You certainly can with the songs on this album.
This album is like a musical disco opera, starting with a dramatic 12 inch song that invokes the City of London and a debonair and suave young man looking for his lover on a cold and wet evening. It pushes on into the yuppiedom theme, overturning convention with a man singing about how he is grateful that a lover pays his rent and much more subtle and clever social comment in "Shopping" than they manage with their clumsy rants in their sad latter day works. Savour no nonsense catchyness song after song on this effort.
Hit Music has been dismissed as being too 80s. Presumably such dismissers didn't listen to the last one minute and four seconds of the song. What is that? The Pet Shop Boys have invented Lounge Music ten years early. This is dreamy, lie on the floor and bliss-out stuff.
It is probably true that you have to be in touch with your feminine side, or have one, to really appreciate it. Everytime I hear it I hear myself mouthing the words, moving my body and I seem to be leaving my chair and dancing. And I'm doing this years after I first heard it. Perhaps most of the journos responsible for those tedious top 100 album lists are still struggling with feelings because this album never seems to get on their lists. And I'm really not impressed by that ultra dull cliche about the Pet Shop Boys being miserablists or singing in a deadpan and emotionally detached manner, as if they are basically an affected band being very droll. That is an insult to the depth this album has. Almost as sad and deep as It couldn't happen here is King's Cross. It is weary, addictive and very original. If you asked the Pet Shop Boy's today to write a song like anything on this album I really doubt they could do it. They were of a certain age and everything momentarily fell into a very special place.
Probably this album's weakest moment is its most successful, the well known single, It's a sin, which is pretty fine, but for me sinks below this album's overall genius. Much of that genius probably extends a bit beyond the Pets themselves. The drums beats and production on this album are simply unmatched elsewhere in their canon. They actually seem to think about the drum patterns whereas later on in their career they just stick some generic one on and let it plod away. These days the Pet Shop Boys say what they ruddy well like but it don't add up to great art. I much prefer "Turning in my sleep, you call me a fool, to fall in love, is it so uncool?" to... well, just about anything they've written post Very. Certainly, after Neil came out he seemed to change his lyrical style to one stuffed with awful metaphors and though it's good to move on, it's good to still have something to say. But I digress. This is a great, great album. I think.

4.0 out of 5 stars Many Thanks, 19 May 2013
This review is from: PET SHOP BOYS-Actually (Audio CD)
I always try to use zoverstocks when ordering cds or dvds, they've never let me down. Why use anybody else when they provide quality at cheap prices, they have my trust as a customer. Keep up the good work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, actually, 10 April 2013
Torben Madsen (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Actually (Audio CD)
While some of the songs on this album sound dated ('Shopping' and 'Hit Music'), this, Pet Shop Boys' second album, is still a great testament to just how great songsmiths Lowe and Tennant had become by the time of its release.

From 'One More Chance', the superbly produced opening track, to hit singles 'It's A Sin' and 'What Have I Done To Deserve This' (featuring Dusty Springfield), the album sounds the part of a late Eighties hit album. While these tracks could in some way be described as quintessential Pet Shop Boys, the two marvellous ballads included on the album ('It Couldn't Happen Here' and 'King's Cross') show that there is much more than mere brilliant pop to this duo.

The two duds still detract from the overall feeling of the album, but then again very few albums don't have weak tracks on them. For those interested in Eighties music or intelligent pop music regardsless of the release date, 'Actually' will not disappoint. It remains not only one of the Pet Shop Boys' best album, but indeed one of the best late-Eighites pop albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars As I knew it would be., 13 Oct 2012
This review is from: Actually (Audio CD)
Really good cd. I love there music and have some of there other cds so I thought I would add one more...as you do. It is just as I expected. Good music. Cannot fault it in any way. I think my favourite on this one is 'What have I done to deserve this' with Dusty Springfield, brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply masterpiece, 4 July 2011
Lucazest (Rezzato (Brescia), Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Actually (Audio CD)
Fantastic album, maybe the only 4 stars songs (1 or two) are anyway beautiful and perfectly placed in this Cd,
in the whole perfect both for melody and sound. Astonishingly beautiful.
Very well spent money!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars PSB Perfection, 27 Feb 2011
This review is from: Actually (Audio CD)
This is the second of the PSB must have albums (the first being please) and its home to many of there well known classics
Its a sin - everyone loves this one, its a masterpiece you can sing to with passion
What have i done to deserve this - a collaboration made in heavin, as amazing as the song is in the first place it would be nothing without the incredible Dusty Springfiled, great song
Heart - I always think of the pandemonium tour when i hear this one as it was the first played after the intro music, excellent uplifting song
But the best in my oppinion are Rent, Kings Cross and Shopping which are the more low key yet magnificent tracks
Along with Please as a PSB fan you are obliged to own this album, enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Dusty!, 25 May 2010
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Actually (Audio CD)
This was the album by 'The Pet Shop Boys' that featured the all-time classic and massive hit with Dusty Springfield.

Dusty had not had a chart hit for almost twenty years when she came back with a vengeance with the number: 'What Have I Done To Deserve This' featuring 'The Pet Shop Boys'. At the time, it was amazing to hear how well Dusty sang with the lads - particularly when in those days, singers were not teaming up with popsters from a different generation so much as they did following this collaboration. It was after this that Dusty was to release her own fabulous come-back album 'Reputation' which simply blew me away...

Here we have included the aforementioned hit single; plus a good batch of other hits from the period, including; 'Heart', 'Rent' and 'It's A Sin' with some pretty good album material too! This was a good time for the boys when all what they did was tremendously successful.

Actually
Actually by Pet Shop Boys (Audio CD - 2009)