4.0 out of 5 stars Could have come with a manual but...
This could have come with a manual but apart from that it is a great piece of software that once you get used to it allows you to create some really interesting comic book pages.

Published on 20 April 2009 by T. Griffiths

2.0 out of 5 stars One more thing...
Published 15 months ago by Araceil

4.0 out of 5 stars Could have come with a manual but..., 20 April 2009
T. Griffiths "TristanHugh" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD) (CD-ROM)

I have mainly been using my own images but the software allows you to either use their own templates for comic pages or allows you to cut up your own shapes to create some variety.

There are also some other useful tools such as various tones which you can add to your comic or some 'magic' shapes which you can paint on (such as flowers or stars).

It can be complicated at first and I downloaded a manual off the internet to help me get used to it, but I generally prefer to have a copy of a manual in my hands as it is easier to multi-task with it. So I would say that is its only flaw.

Also note this is the Debut version so you cannot export the files as PDFs without a separate program.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for Manga artists...., 16 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD) (CD-ROM)
I purchased this for my daughter to do her anime art on the PC, and she loves it.... Although aimed at Manga artists, this can be used as an excellent all-round draw & paint programme. It does specifically also contain all of the tools to create comic strips (in whatever genre you choose), and the individual comic frames & speech bubbles (etc) can easily be produced with it.
The tutorial given with this programme is definitely necessary, although with a few hours of use it does become second-nature to use. The overall impression is eventually one of a lot of programme for the money spent...
A word of warning, don't expect good results with a mouse alone, as a drawing tablet is a prerequisite with this programme(please see my other review for the fantastic "Wacom Bamboo Pen" tablet).
Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool, 20 Jan. 2009
A. GILL "ag55" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD) (CD-ROM)
The manga phenomenon is growing worldwide, and Manga Studio Debut and EX (the premium version) are leading the way for artists and hobbyists to create ready to print, professional looking comics and print cartoons. This software will help you from start to finish.

This item, the debut version is for novice users like myself. It has a beginner's assistant, and dynamic help to get your started quickly. The EX version is for professional artists who want to publish comics, and contains all the bells and whistles they need.

I took a look at some older versions, and found that in 4.0 there are several improvements and upgrades. A new colour set lets you choose from literally millions of colours and sets. And you can easily switch for effects such as dodge and burn (should be familiar to Photoshop and GIMP users). You can also blend colours. It comes pre-loaded with over 160 built-in page templates, 2,300 screen tones, and over 80 customizable pattern brushes.

This update has so many pre-loaded templates and features, it will quickly let you design your prints, it offers advanced tools, but also everything a novice needs with step by step tutorials.

A really good buy, recommend the debut version for hobbyists who like manga.
But, the EX version is definitley needed if you want to go professional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade, 4 Sept. 2011
Simon Berry (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD) (CD-ROM)
I was previously using manga Studio version 3 on my old P.C which was running Windows XP operating system. When i bought a new computer i had Windows 7 installed, my old version of Manga studio wouldn't work very well and there were some compatability issues with my bamboo graphics tablet. I bought Manga Studio 4 and it works very well with windows 7 and my graphics tablet. There are also many new features in debut 4 and is well worth the upgrade, you can also go on to the developers website and download a free content pack full of models etc.. to use in your drawings... 10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 27 Aug. 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Once you've installed it you know you've bought something worth while. Manga studiois a fantastic way to create manga. it gives you loads of panels to choose from, with a simple drag onto the page. You can choose from pens, effects, backgrounds, colours,bubbles and much more. At first I had lower expections because I had been disappointed with anime debut 7 also by smith micro.bbut once I saw this, all my doubts were gone. It's amazingly easy to work most of this and has fantastic results. It would work well for any professional mangaka because of it's professional results. I recommend it to anyone, whether amateur or professional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Manga Studio, 7 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD) (CD-ROM)
A superb bit of software, easy to use after a reasonable practice time. Best used in conjunction with a drawing tablet though. I use it for general illustrations and it fulfills all my needs. I had some experience on corel before this which may have helped.

2.0 out of 5 stars One more thing..., 7 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Got this as a recommendation from a friend, I'm good with photoshop but I just can't afford Adobe, so I got this. It works for her, I've seen her do some truly beautiful works. (Girl can earn £90 in commissions alone within a week when she ISN'T rushing herself, on top of doing university work) But I was thoroughly disappointed upon opening it up and giving it a play around. I've rarely encountered a programme I can't get the hang of within a day, some of them such as 3DS MAX, an industry standard gaming and animation software programme take a bit longer depending on how user-friendly they are. But this... after several months of trying to figure it out on my own I had to concede defeat.

If you're going to buy this, I definitely recommend getting the book 'Manga Studio for Dummies' as well. I've just ordered mine and I'll be reading it through when it arrives. I've got a lot of comic/manga ideas swimming through my head and just couldn't make it work on my crummy little 'Corel Art Dabbler' programme. I'll give another review once I've had a chance to peruse the how-tos but again, definitely recommend getting it. This thing doesn't come with an instruction manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price!, 19 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Great software at a very affordable price.
If you're a professional you may want to fork out a bit extra for the EX 4 version, but for hobbyists and web comic creators this is all you'll need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little piece of software, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD) (CD-ROM)
I love this program, it comes with all the little tools you could ever think of, and its easy to use with the beginners mode so you can see all the tools and options.
There are a lot of little fiddly bits to the program, but you can just take your time to figure them out, plus the hints are always there to help you too.
The page settings are easy to get your head around, and the program itself is just so easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars easy peasy, 23 May 2010
This review is from: Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD) (CD-ROM)
found it easy to use - i'm not a comic artist but can lift all the tones and techniques for use in graphic design

Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD)
Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD) by Avanquest Software (Mac OS X, Windows Vista / XP)