4.0 out of 5 stars Could have come with a manual but...
This could have come with a manual but apart from that it is a great piece of software that once you get used to it allows you to create some really interesting comic book pages.

Published on 20 April 2009 by T. Griffiths

2.0 out of 5 stars One more thing...
Published 10 months ago by Araceil

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Could have come with a manual but..., 20 April 2009
T. Griffiths "TristanHugh" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD) (CD-ROM)

I have mainly been using my own images but the software allows you to either use their own templates for comic pages or allows you to cut up your own shapes to create some variety.

There are also some other useful tools such as various tones which you can add to your comic or some 'magic' shapes which you can paint on (such as flowers or stars).

It can be complicated at first and I downloaded a manual off the internet to help me get used to it, but I generally prefer to have a copy of a manual in my hands as it is easier to multi-task with it. So I would say that is its only flaw.

Also note this is the Debut version so you cannot export the files as PDFs without a separate program.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for Manga artists...., 16 Jan 2011
This review is from: Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD) (CD-ROM)
I purchased this for my daughter to do her anime art on the PC, and she loves it.... Although aimed at Manga artists, this can be used as an excellent all-round draw & paint programme. It does specifically also contain all of the tools to create comic strips (in whatever genre you choose), and the individual comic frames & speech bubbles (etc) can easily be produced with it.
The tutorial given with this programme is definitely necessary, although with a few hours of use it does become second-nature to use. The overall impression is eventually one of a lot of programme for the money spent...
A word of warning, don't expect good results with a mouse alone, as a drawing tablet is a prerequisite with this programme(please see my other review for the fantastic "Wacom Bamboo Pen" tablet).
Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool, 20 Jan 2009
A. GILL "ag55" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD) (CD-ROM)
The manga phenomenon is growing worldwide, and Manga Studio Debut and EX (the premium version) are leading the way for artists and hobbyists to create ready to print, professional looking comics and print cartoons. This software will help you from start to finish.

This item, the debut version is for novice users like myself. It has a beginner's assistant, and dynamic help to get your started quickly. The EX version is for professional artists who want to publish comics, and contains all the bells and whistles they need.

I took a look at some older versions, and found that in 4.0 there are several improvements and upgrades. A new colour set lets you choose from literally millions of colours and sets. And you can easily switch for effects such as dodge and burn (should be familiar to Photoshop and GIMP users). You can also blend colours. It comes pre-loaded with over 160 built-in page templates, 2,300 screen tones, and over 80 customizable pattern brushes.

This update has so many pre-loaded templates and features, it will quickly let you design your prints, it offers advanced tools, but also everything a novice needs with step by step tutorials.

A really good buy, recommend the debut version for hobbyists who like manga.
But, the EX version is definitley needed if you want to go professional.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 27 Aug 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Once you've installed it you know you've bought something worth while. Manga studiois a fantastic way to create manga. it gives you loads of panels to choose from, with a simple drag onto the page. You can choose from pens, effects, backgrounds, colours,bubbles and much more. At first I had lower expections because I had been disappointed with anime debut 7 also by smith micro.bbut once I saw this, all my doubts were gone. It's amazingly easy to work most of this and has fantastic results. It would work well for any professional mangaka because of it's professional results. I recommend it to anyone, whether amateur or professional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade, 4 Sep 2011
Simon Berry (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD) (CD-ROM)
I was previously using manga Studio version 3 on my old P.C which was running Windows XP operating system. When i bought a new computer i had Windows 7 installed, my old version of Manga studio wouldn't work very well and there were some compatability issues with my bamboo graphics tablet. I bought Manga Studio 4 and it works very well with windows 7 and my graphics tablet. There are also many new features in debut 4 and is well worth the upgrade, you can also go on to the developers website and download a free content pack full of models etc.. to use in your drawings... 10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Manga Studio, 7 Dec 2010
This review is from: Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD) (CD-ROM)
A superb bit of software, easy to use after a reasonable practice time. Best used in conjunction with a drawing tablet though. I use it for general illustrations and it fulfills all my needs. I had some experience on corel before this which may have helped.

2.0 out of 5 stars One more thing..., 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Got this as a recommendation from a friend, I'm good with photoshop but I just can't afford Adobe, so I got this. It works for her, I've seen her do some truly beautiful works. (Girl can earn 90 in commissions alone within a week when she ISN'T rushing herself, on top of doing university work) But I was thoroughly disappointed upon opening it up and giving it a play around. I've rarely encountered a programme I can't get the hang of within a day, some of them such as 3DS MAX, an industry standard gaming and animation software programme take a bit longer depending on how user-friendly they are. But this... after several months of trying to figure it out on my own I had to concede defeat.

If you're going to buy this, I definitely recommend getting the book 'Manga Studio for Dummies' as well. I've just ordered mine and I'll be reading it through when it arrives. I've got a lot of comic/manga ideas swimming through my head and just couldn't make it work on my crummy little 'Corel Art Dabbler' programme. I'll give another review once I've had a chance to peruse the how-tos but again, definitely recommend getting it. This thing doesn't come with an instruction manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price!, 19 Feb 2010
This review is from: Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Great software at a very affordable price.
If you're a professional you may want to fork out a bit extra for the EX 4 version, but for hobbyists and web comic creators this is all you'll need.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have tool for any serious illustrator, 30 Aug 2012
This review is from: Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD) (CD-ROM)
This is definitely the best tool I've used to create digital ink-work illustrations. I've tried the latest Photoshop and even with its new brushes and features, I found Manga Studio produced a much more natural traditional look than Photoshop. Manga studio benefits from the magic brush which allows the artist to spray effects such as cross hatching, achieving natural looking results that would have taken ages traditionally.

I would highly recommend Manga Studio to any illustrator or cartoonist who produce figurative artwork. You'll need a pen/tablet if you haven't already got one (i.e.Wacom Bamboo).

HOWEVER, if you read the PDF manual...
Manga Studio Debut is really only good for line-work and solid colour fills, its missing a lot of essential tools that are included in the EX version, particularly with colour work, unless you have something like photoshop to do the colour shading. It doesn't include a smooth brush (airbrush), dodge, burn, smudge, 3D import, no anti-aliasing, no vector drawing, and settings and controls are also restricted in the Debut version. But for 20 its still a bargain, and is mostly all you need to create line-work or mono artwork.

Manga Studio EX (110) on the other hand is a more complete solution, and includes all the essential tools for colour work. What's particularly neat is the ability to import Lightwave 3D objects (LWO, OBJ) and convert them into line-work with shading layers. It also includes vector drawing capabilities, and much better colour shading tools.

If you had to choose between Debut and EX, EX would be the one to go for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly good for the price, 5 Jan 2012
This review is from: Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Manga Studio Debut 4 was recommended to me by a freelance artist friend whose work is mostly tone-based or monochrome. Once you get past some of the clunky interface elements (still haven't got the hang of copying / pasting elements around) it's a superb piece of software if you're just starting out in digital art and can't afford 'big name' packages like Photoshop or Corel Painter.

Though "Debut" is seen as the lite version of the Manga Studio family, it has more than enough features to keep you hooked. Pressure sensitive pens, separate modes for sketching, colouring, drawing and adding tone - and some really useful intuitive beginners aids to help you get your lines and curves 'just right'

As others have said in their reviews, it could do with a better manual and there's scant help out on the internet for it - but once you have a go and play around with all the settings and icons, it's fairly intuitive to use and you really do get some superb results.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD)
Manga Studio Debut 4.0 (Mac/PC CD) by Avanquest Software (Mac OS X, Windows Vista / XP)
9.99