1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars La Musique: C'est fantastique!, 6 Oct. 2006
Mr. B. A. D. Plowman "Brendan" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
First of all, it should be said that I am something of a Colleen enthusiast! I have enjoyed all of her beguiling releases to date, and I am happy to say that this latest is no exception. It is forty minutes of other-worldly, evocative sounds. Sure, the premise doesn't sound as promising as it could be: "A 14 track EP of music box recordings". Before listening, I had reservations about the music maybe being a little to monotonous and one-dimensional. Is it? IS IT HELL!

The first thing I realised is just how damned beautiful and organic the sound of the music box is. Clockwork clicks and whirls, metal is plucked to ring out shiny, resonant chimes. Dischordant notes flow in to each other like muted church bells clashing head on. We hear crackles and pops in the background. This music is alive. It has it's own pulse.

Each track differs from the last, whilst complimenting it perfectly. Delay pedals are utilised to full effect, looping up dark minor chords on the music box. Sometimes it sounds as if just one solitary box is playing. Sometimes the musical motifs are replayed backwards to create a wonderfully dizzying effect. At other times the chimes build and build until we are lost inside a MUSIC BOX SYMPHONY! When the music peaks, I often find myself in a levitative state. It is deeply affecting.

Basically, this EP is fantastic. Colleen at her intimate best. Listen to it at night, and feel as if you are inside a dark, misty and gorgeously melancholy fairy tale.

Colleen Et Les Boîtes À Musique