5.0 out of 5 stars can well sing!
Published on 13 Jan 2011 by Jack

2.0 out of 5 stars Battle & defeat
Published on 10 Nov 2007 by adreena2000

5.0 out of 5 stars can well sing!, 13 Jan 2011
This review is from: Battle And Victory (Audio CD)
a chap reviewing this mentioned that Nancy cant sing... er... I couldn't disagree more. sure there are some discordant moments, but they seem to me to be entirely purposeful and designed to give the record the edge that it carries so well. Off with your Axe is genius, about working down the pit (she is from Wigan...), Coriander is an absolute stand out track and the final tune, Battle and Victory, is a superb piece full of emotion. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 24 Nov 2007
R. Gladwin (North West, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle And Victory (Audio CD)
Best album I've bought in ages. A competely stunning combination of meandering vocals and rich instrumentation. While Joanna Newson grates, Nancy is Elizabeth is great - and is even more enthralling live.

4.0 out of 5 stars Victorious!, 26 Nov 2007
P. C. King (Poole, Dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle And Victory (Audio CD)
On first listen this may seem like none-too-impressive background music. But give it a chance and you may well appreciate the poignant songs and intricate instrumental arrangements. This album's tranquil and melancholy beauty reminds me more than a little of Emiliana Torrini's wonderful Fisherman's Woman.

2.0 out of 5 stars Battle & defeat, 10 Nov 2007
This review is from: Battle And Victory (Audio CD)
I caught this performer live recently but the venue sound was poor so I bought this hoping my initial impression would be proved wrong. Unfortunately, It wasn't. It's pleasant enough background music and there are one or two nice musical touches but the B-I-G problem is that she can't really sing. Her voice is in the Joanna Newsome mould but her intonation is frequently off and it grates. Her songs sound fine individually but are pretty samey & there's not enough variation. It's a poor effort overall.

Battle and Victory