4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a listen even if not all the tracks appeal.
Whilst some of this music is not to my taste, I appreciate the opportunity to download the sampler for free. I have now started to investigate the composers and find out more about their music and that is surely partly what a sampler is about. Hence the 4 stars.

Published on 6 April 2012 by C. Gadsby

3.0 out of 5 stars OK
Easy listening - I only chose it as it was free, but I enjoyed it.
It isn't what I usually listen to, but worth a freebie!
Published 15 months ago by Tizer_0189

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a listen even if not all the tracks appeal., 6 April 2012
C. Gadsby (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NMC Sampler (MP3 Download)

I am not sure whether all the pieces can really be described as contemporary though - if that was the intention (a proper description is not really given as far as I can see). For example Track 2 is an arrangement by Benjamin Britten of a piece by Rossini and which Britten originally used as part of the soundtrack for a film called 'The Tocher'. This was in 1938 so hardly contemporary. It is a fun piece though and worth a listen - it later became part of the suite Britten called 'Soirées Musicales'.

I didn't know the Malcolm Arnold 'Severn Bridge Variations' (track 7) but guessed this was also rather unlikely to be contemporary. It turns out to be one of a series of variations written as a collaborative venture by Arnold, Alun Hoddinott, Nicholas Maw, Daniel Jones, Grace Williams and Michael Tippett and written in 1966 according to Wikipedia. I found the 1 min 39 secs track a bit frustrating, being so short - but perhaps that will encourage me to listen to the whole work!

'American Rounds' by Martin Butler was written in 1998 and commissioned by the Schubert Ensemble and I found it quite appealing and will try to hear more of this piece - I found information about it on the OUP music website if anyone else is interested.

I shall spend some time looking into the other pieces/composers I am unfamiliar with but I wonder how many people will bother to do this. With so little information about the tracks it makes it a much less interesting download than it could be but I hope it will be a challenge to others to do some further listening and investigating the composers represented. It does however highlight one of the objections I have to most MP3 downloads that there are no 'sleeve notes' to accompany the download. I sometimes download better quality files from the Linn website and these almost always come with notes - they are not usually free downloads however, to be fair to Amazon!

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 26 Dec 2012
This review is from: NMC Sampler (MP3 Download)
Easy listening - I only chose it as it was free, but I enjoyed it.
It isn't what I usually listen to, but worth a freebie!

1.0 out of 5 stars How did anyone get this free?, 16 Oct 2012
This review is from: NMC Sampler (MP3 Download)
There's obviously something going on here... why 7.49 if it should be free? Is there a secret password to be used or a discount code?

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 April 2012
This review is from: NMC Sampler (MP3 Download)
This is a fantastic contemporary classical album! I specially enjoyed 'After the Rain: Chorale'.
Will definitely check out the rest of the label's releases, thanks

1.0 out of 5 stars I'M GLAD IT WAS FREE!, 17 April 2012
Mr. Stephen Samuel "Stevie S" (Yorkshire - UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NMC Sampler (MP3 Download)
I'm just glad it was free. It is so varied in content that each track has little relationshhip with any of the others, and therefore offers a most disjointed assembly of tracks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Geographical restrictions!!!, 6 April 2012
L. Koprivica "luka3rd" (Belgrade, YU) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NMC Sampler (MP3 Download)
I will never get how is that my money is wors than others! I am buying from Amazon on monthly basis, regularly for several years... but any discount or free item is not available to me!
BS!!! Shame on Amazon & vendor and whoever...

ARRAY(0xa2b71c30)