5.0 out of 5 stars Hawley's Latest Triumph
If there is a better songwriter and vocalist at work in Britain today, I'd like to hear about it. His debut mini album "Richard Hawley" was a tantalising glimpse of what was to come and his three follow up albums confirmed him as a singer songwriter par excellence. To continue that brilliance into a fifth album, "Lady's Bridge" is a towering achievement...
Published on 20 Aug 2007 by Angel Delta

3.0 out of 5 stars Hawley Lady's Bridge
Not disappointed here although still getting used to the finer points, this will appeal to people with traditional good taste in proper music with tunefull melody and laid back tempos bluesy but not dreary.
Published 20 months ago by tommy twin

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Bliss, 21 Aug 2007
This review is from: Lady's Bridge (Audio CD)
Ah just put this album on and relax and dream away the hours. The musicianship is fantastic and Hawley's songwriting has surpassed even that evident on Cole's Corner.

5.0 out of 5 stars from what i've heard, this is pretty good, 15 Aug 2007
This review is from: Lady's Bridge (Audio CD)
pretty, pretty, pret-tay good.

nowt like john shuttleworth

and i can spell

welcome back hawley, stop making me cry

4.0 out of 5 stars getting into this, 23 Aug 2007
This review is from: Lady's Bridge (Audio CD)
I received my album today (which I bought on a whim) and I think it really good. It is an album to kick back and relax to with some deeply emotive moments. I certainly suggest checking it out.

2.0 out of 5 stars A huge disappointment, 26 Aug 2007
Crikey9 (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lady's Bridge (Audio CD)
What a massive disappoint after the beautiful Coles Corner. Where once he was a sort of English cross between Frank Sinatra and Roy Orbison he's now gone all sort of Dean Martin. The album feels like he's lost direction and he's tired. It lacks tunes. Where has all the drama and urgency gone? I've played the album once and feel like throwing it away without giving it another go because the one thing I hate is boredom, and this is boring. He's never been boring before. I've given it two stars out of kindness and the professionalism of the playing.

2.0 out of 5 stars And you thought Morrisey was depressed, 23 Aug 2012
This review is from: Lady's Bridge (Audio CD)
I have to say at the outset that Richard Hawley and crooning in general are just not my cup of tea (I might make the exception of his latest album though), I bought this CD as a gift for a very close friend, we listenned to it together, oh dear, we listenned to it again, still oh dear, we both wondered when he was going to slit his throat so we could join him.

If I had to sum up this album it would be monotonal, every song seems to melt into the last and just drift on in the same manner, two chord progressions and not much imagination (there are a couple of almost "highs" in the middle, however the last few tracks tend to make you think "this is how it must feel to be dead").

I find it hard for a member of a band like Pulp to come up with this kind of music, must be what his parents opened him up to as a child (but then, if we are of that age, and I am, weren't we all? So how come I love Deep Purple, Black Sabbath et al and yet RH comes up with Elvis The Mediocre Years? Or Perry Como's Last Stand?)

If you have never listenned to Richard Hawley let me warn you, there is not much "up" in his music, even if you like crooners, I am still not convinced this would be an automatic choice, and if your feeling depressed, even Radiohead would lift you more than this would!

2.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the time warp, 19 Aug 2007
Arthur Dooley (N Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lady's Bridge (Audio CD)
Did the Mersey-beat inspired, early 60's musical revolution ever happen ? Not if you are Richard Hawley who appears to have taken a musical tailspin back to the creative land that time forgot. A space where bland croony-toons blasted out of Bush transistor radios and Dansette record players dropped the latest Dean Martin platter onto the turntable.
After the bland 'Coles Corner' , Richard Hawley goes for more of the same. Tunes dredged from the late 50's, early 60's that will at least be appreciated by guests in the Sea-view Retirement Home or listeners to Gail Honeyford's 'Memories are made of this'.
When an artist has nothing new to offer they often take refuge in the past. Re- Rod Stewart, Robbie Williams et al. Fellow crooners without any pretence of creative spark.
Sheffield......so much to answer for !

2.0 out of 5 stars Professional Yorkies, 14 Aug 2007
This review is from: Lady's Bridge (Audio CD)
Until I saw the video for this I thought John Shuttleworth was a product of some's imagination but how wrong I was. It's a pity that Capstick's dead because he would have had so mich fun with this.

Lady's Bridge