5.0 out of 5 stars Hawley's Latest Triumph
If there is a better songwriter and vocalist at work in Britain today, I'd like to hear about it. His debut mini album "Richard Hawley" was a tantalising glimpse of what was to come and his three follow up albums confirmed him as a singer songwriter par excellence. To continue that brilliance into a fifth album, "Lady's Bridge" is a towering achievement...
Published on 20 Aug 2007 by Angel Delta

3.0 out of 5 stars Hawley Lady's Bridge
Not disappointed here although still getting used to the finer points, this will appeal to people with traditional good taste in proper music with tunefull melody and laid back tempos bluesy but not dreary.
Published 16 months ago by tommy twin

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Hawley's best album so far, 11 Aug 2010
This review is from: Lady's Bridge (Audio CD)
This is a classic album. I think it's Hawley's best so far, although I loved his other albums too (Truelove's Gutter, Coles Corner, etc). All of the tracks are great but I especially liked 'tonight the streets are ours', 'our darkness', and 'the sun refused to shine'. No duds on this album. Great value for money and a perfect cd for your car.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 25 April 2010
This review is from: Lady's Bridge (Audio CD)
I am delighted with this purchase. I had heard Richard Hawley on radio & TV on quite rare occasions (perhaps I'm listening to the wrong shows!) Anyway, didn't know which CD of his to choose but plumped for this one and love it. I intend to buy his other CDs some time soon. He has a really pleasant voice to listen & relax to. At least one track reminded me of Morrissey but don't let this put you off if you are not a Morrissey fan as Richard's songs aren't as depressing! Don't get me wrong-I adore Morrissey & The Smiths also!
I suggest you sit down and relax whilst listening to this CD so you can really take it in and enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars ...still not receiving the deserved recognition, 5 July 2008
This review is from: Lady's Bridge (Audio CD)
I, like many others, have Jools Holland to thank for exposing me to the talent that is Richard Hawley. When I say talent, I mean it in the true sense of the word - Hawley is a unique talent, who is still not receiving the proper recognition for his consistently high quality output.

Having set the bar high with this album's predecessor "Coles Corner" I, like some here, initially felt this album didn't quite match it. A few listens later and how wrong am I? This is every bit as good, if not even better.

Some say old fashioned, I say classic; we have all but lost the institution that was the quality independent record shop on your High Street. Richard Hawley is the equivelant of your favourite old record shop, against the rest of the mass-manufactured pap that is the cheap, poor quality mp3 download.

Get some timeless quality music - get a bit of the talented Richard Hawley. And Lady's Bridge is a good place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boring???!!! Naah., 2 Mar 2008
Michael A. Williams "Sheep in Wolf's Clothing" (Flintshire, North Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lady's Bridge (Audio CD)
Firstly, can I just address the title of this review. I have taken the time to read through the other reviews that have been left, mostly paying respect to this amazing album. I am however gobsmacked that some people have labelled it 'Boring'. How can an album as varied as this be boring, listen to 'Serious', Tonight The Streets Are Ours' and 'I'm Looking For Someone To Find Me'. Admittedly yes, these are the more vibrant, upbeat tracks but even during more subdued tracks, just the sheer variation on offer prevents this album from sufferring from any sort of monotony.
For me Richard Hawley is a relatively new dicovery. Although being a long time fan of The Longpigs and having heard 'Born under a bad sign' when it was released a few years back, loving it but never knowing the artist responsible. I HAD to buy Lady's Bridge after hearing 'Serious'. In the 6 months or so since, I have managed to gather together all of his albums and I have to say, they are all corkers. People have said he's made himself more commercial with this latest offering, I feel that he has just continued to develop and explore the possibilities and range of his influences. And if he gets a few singles charting highly, good on him. It just means that there is more of a possibility of the younger generation hearing some of the finest 'Chill Out' music ever produced. Don't think of this album as a follow on or 'continuation' to Coles Corner, (a tough act to follow by anyones standards). Think of this as evolution. beautiful, soaring, foot tapping, crooning, velvetty(?), at times VERY Deep. And certainly not Boring.

4.0 out of 5 stars Romanticism Without Sentimentality, 11 Feb 2008
Juan Mobili (Valley Cottage, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lady's Bridge (Audio CD)
Hawley is from Sheffield--a different England than what London might tell you--and a true romantic. True where true means real. A guitar that Jarvis Cocker was enough to recruit for Pulp's tours, that you can imagine playing in the local pub, lyrics written in wrinkled napkins next to a pint of brew.

I don't that this album is "his best" or "one of his best" but it is wonderful. No song may be a surprise to those who know his work but they'll show their maturity, the clarity of what Hawley likes to play and convey to us. I could even see Orbison or Frank Sinatra nodding if not covering some of these tunes, were they still with us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic songs from a hopeless romantic, 26 Aug 2007
This review is from: Lady's Bridge (Audio CD)
Richard Hawley's fifth solo album recalls the music performed in ballrooms of the 1950s and 1960s where the girls wore puffball skirts and pigtails and the boys had slicked-back hair and wore white suits to go dancing. The album is dedicated to his father (a steel worker who played in rock'n'roll bands at the weekends and who died of cancer at the beginning of 2007) and explores feelings of weakness and vulnerability: "Nothing ever mattered more than not doubting" (Valentine). There's no avoiding Sheffield with Hawley: the usual photos of day-to-day Sheffield life are here, this time captured in hues of red, yellow and blue ("Macho music is stupid" reads the graffiti on one photo); and like 2005's 'Cole's Corner', the title is also taken from a Sheffield landmark.

There are songs of feeling abandoned as well as ones about abandoning others. And a longing to escape back to an ideal love before giving love and being loved got difficult: "No sound of the shore / I dream of sailing the oceans / In a galleon all golden" (The Sea Calls). He uses dragging feminine endings to express yearning on Valentine: "Bring me to the light of the morning / And take me through this night till the dawning / Oh I see a warning in your eyes". The same is true of 'Our Darkness': "I'm lost here in the grey, I wait for your returning / I watch firelight play, flames flicker with my yearning".

Standouts: Tonight the Streets are Ours, Valentine, The Sun Refused to Shine, Our Darkness

5.0 out of 5 stars mr hawley is a genius, 17 Jan 2009
why this man is not aglobal superstar is beyond me the whole thing just washes over you this album really has abarreload of tunes that are absolute classics . valentine is as good if not better than orbison at his best . if this album takes you on amusical journey then you must see him live.absolutly wonderfull

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheffield Steel wrapped in velvet, 15 Feb 2008
Secret Spi (Germany) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lady's Bridge (Audio CD)
This is a treat for the ears and the soul. Listening to Richard Hawley's Roy Orbison-caterpulted-into-21st-century-Britain masterpiece, you feel all of life's ups and downs but also a feeling of deep contentment that there are still real people around, with talent, that can make good records.

This CD has everything, from Rockabilly, to Country, to crooning, all sung with a huge dollop of humanity from a man who sounds like he's enjoying himself to the max with every chord.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks Dom!, 4 Sep 2007
C. Walton (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lady's Bridge (Audio CD)
In between chopping up the carrots for a veggie ghoulash, my mate Dom dropped Lady's Bridge into his CD player while I poured a glass of plonk for myself and his good lady wife Jackie in preparation for a night of catching up on what life's offerings were doleing out to us - a beautiful baby boy for them and yet another failed delve into courtship for me.

The contrasting experiences then became secondary (for myself anyway) to the exquisite sounds that emanated from the 30 quid portable spinning Richard Hawley's latest gift to mankind. At this point I'll bow to the emanently superior track by track descriptive offerings of previous reviewers and offer my simple eulogy... as a desperately and hopelessly failed romantic drowning in cynicism, Lady's Bridge offered a vessel to sail troubled waters with a feeling of warmth and security, content in the knowledge that safe passage is possible across the ocean...

In 2 days I acquired all Mr Hawley's albums and find it hard to offer up a preference, just go out and get the lot - there's magic in every one!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the future......., 25 Aug 2007
Gary Mckenzie - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lady's Bridge (Audio CD)
Let me start this by saying to me this is the best album he has ever done.I am a huge fan of Hawley and have all his other albums but "Lady's Bridge" takes the work he has done previously and stepped it up a notch or two..Right from the Orbison esqe opener to the last song on the record there isn't a bad tune here...You can dance..you can sing along...You can think about lost and past loves..you can reflect and enjoy life with this record.It really is that good...I only got it a day and a half ago and allready i have listened to it 3 times....

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›