If you already own the 2002 46-track "Expanded Version" of this iconic UK reggae album - then you'll want to know if this 1000 Volts Of Holt by JOHN HOLT DELUXE EDITION with its meager 39 tracks is worth buying - yet again! And yes and no is the typically infuriating answer...

There's a lot on here, do let's break it down first...

Disc 1 is entitled...
Published on 29 Jan. 2009 by Mark Barry

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
I LOVE THE TRACKS ON IT ,BUT DISAPPOINTED AS THE CD IS SKIPPING ON LOTS OF THE SONGS!
Published 8 months ago by gwen branagan

4.0 out of 5 stars "Take The Ribbon From Your Hair...Shake It Loose...And Let It Fall...", 29 Jan. 2009
Mark Barry "Mark Barry" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 1000 Volts of Holt (Audio CD)

There's a lot on here, do let's break it down first...

Disc 1 is entitled "1000 VOLTS...PLUS!" (67:31 minutes):
1. Never, Never, Never [Shirley Bassey cover]
2. Morning of My Life [Bee Gees cover]
3. Stoned Out Of My Mind [Chi-Lites cover]
4. Baby I'm-A-Want You [Bread cover]
5. Help Me Make It Through The Night [Kris Kristofferson cover]
6. Mr. Bojangles [Jerry Jeff Walker/Nitty Gritty Dirt Band cover]
7. I'd Love You To Want Me [Lobo cover] (End Of Side 1)
8. Killing Me Softly With Her Song [Roberta Flack cover]
9. You Baby [Ronettes cover]
10. Too Much Love [Bread cover]
11. Girl From Ipanema [Astrid Gilberto cover]
12. Which Way You Going Baby [Susan & Terry Jacks of The Poppy Family cover] (End of Side 2)
Tracks 1 to 12 are the November 1973 UK LP "1000 Volts Of Holt" on Trojan Records TRLS 75 (it finally charted in early 1975)

13. Morning Of My Life
14. Stoned Out Of My Mind
15. Baby I'm-A-Want You
16. Help Me Make It Through The Night
17. Mr. Bojangles
18. Too Much Love
19. Girl From Ipanema
20. Which Way You Going Baby
Tracks 13 to 20 are Bonus Tracks (Jamaican Mixes). Only 2 of the Jamaican Mixes are previously unreleased - "Morning of My Life" and "Too Much Love". The version of "Too Much Love" on the 2002 set is an extended mix at 4:21 minutes while this DELUXE EDITION cut is an edit at 2:40 minutes. Although the other 6 tracks were on the 2002 set, it should be noted that like the album, they're all in VASTLY IMPROVED SOUND on this DELUXE EDITION.

Disc 2 is entitled "4000 VOLTS OF HOLT - RARE & UNRELEASED MASTERS"
(60:30 minutes)
1. I Don't Want To Be Lonely
2. It's Just Because
3. My Eyes
4. Love And Affection (aka Sweet Vibrations)
5. Here Today (Gone Tomorrow)
6. If I Could Hear Her (aka Blue Dawn)
7. I Could Dance All Night
16. Sweet Malinda
17. Love So Right [Mac Davis cover]
18. Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me [Mac Davis cover]
19. Just The Way You Are [Billy Joel cover]
All songs on Disc 2 are written by John Holt - except where noted.
Tracks 16 and 19 are from 1979 - while 17 and 18 are from 1980.
The other 15 are PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (most from an aborted album in 1975).

The 20-page booklet has photos, singles pictured, trade adverts and a detailed track-by-track breakdown of the album by LAURENCE CANE-HONEYSETT (he co-wrote the superb book "Young, Gifted & Black; The Story Of Trojan Records" - see separate review). The 4-way digipak is the same as the "Tighten Up" set, the flaps have photos from the period, see-through trays with the album details underneath and the orange and white Trojan CD label reflects the original vinyl LP. All of it very nicely laid out.

SOUND:
Remastered by TIM DEBNEY at Fluid Mastering, the sound quality is really fantastic and a vast improvement on the now dull-sounding 2002 issue - I'd say the tracks are now twice as loud - and not loud for the sake of it - but clear - the bass and percussion in particular - so sweet. Exceptional productions values. The improvement of sound thankfully also extends to tracks 13 to 20 (the Bonus Jamaican Mixes), which are so much more 'reggae' than the released soft soul versions - more edgy and make for genuinely excellent bonus tracks. Considering how rough most Reggae can sound - a really great job done has been done on both CDs.

While you could say that Disc 1 is a triumph (especially soundwise), I'm not so sure about the rather weedy poppy tracks on Disc 2 - they're the sorts of lightweight pop-soul-reggae tunes that many fans and purists hate. The sound quality is excellent though. Highlights for me included "Too Much Love", "My Love" and "It's Just Because".

I saw this in a Megastore in London for two coins above a twenty spot, which is a ridiculous rip off. If you can lay your hands on it at a good price - I'd say it's a good buy.

Four out of five stars then.

PS: see also my reviews for the DELUXE EDITIONS of the Various Artists compilation "Tighten Up", Symarip's "Skinhead Moonstomp" and "Tighten Up Volume 2"

5.0 out of 5 stars Replace your vinyl, 11 April 2010
Dennis King "sport sinned" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1000 Volts of Holt (Audio CD)
Bought to replace vinyl. Excellent album with plenty of good quality tracks. The additional tracks are great too. Sounds fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1000 Volts of John Holt, 13 Feb. 2012
This review is from: 1000 Volts of Holt (Audio CD)
If you know John Holts music then you know what to expect . Famous tracks plus some old skool ones too ! Nothing but the best from a vintage Reggae Artist as I say . He's the tops for me 10/10 :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected..., 30 Aug. 2013
This review is from: 1000 Volts of Holt (Audio CD)
I thought I was only getting a single CD, but this contained 3 great CD's. Perfect for John Holt fans.
I bought this for my dad who absolutely loves it and is now driving my mum crazy listening to it all the time...

5.0 out of 5 stars Updating the CD Collection, 20 Nov. 2011
This review is from: 1000 Volts of Holt (Audio CD)
Like many people of my age, I have all these songs by JH on vinyl but not on cd and lack the equipment and technical expertise to upload vinyl to my laptop so it's easier to buy the cd and rip it. I could downlaod but what do you actually own if you download? I apologise for being old. I love this album, 1000 volts was played at every party I went to in the 70's and I think I owned about 4 copies at one time or another, taking them round to mates places or parties and never getting them back, I remember going to a party on Christmas Night in 1976 and having taken the album with me and hearing it being played saw a bloke leaving with it under his arm, I got iy back but it involved a few bruises and the destruction of the record, how lairy is that? Great Record, buy it, settle back with a couple of cans of lager and within 5 minutes you'll be dancing along with your kids shouting "don't Dad, Pleeeease"

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic!, 23 April 2013
This review is from: 1000 Volts of Holt (Audio CD)
One of the beautiful albums ever recorded!
This is a family favourite and I would recommend everyone include it in their collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Volts of memory, 14 Mar. 2014
D. Johnson (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1000 Volts of Holt (Audio CD)
Loved John Holt's big hit of the 70s ("Help me make it through the night"), and it's great to hear it again with great CD clarity rather than dig out my old Trojan single from time to time. This album is joyous, ideal for those who like their reggae to be fun. Buy it now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value and service, 26 Dec. 2013
This review is from: 1000 Volts of Holt (Audio CD)
I purchased this item as a gift, one of two CDs. The online booking was a quick and simple process. The product was received in plenty of time and in secure packaging.

The recipient loved the CD. It is bringing her many hours of enjoyable music. Thanks Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% Top Quality Reggae from a 100% Top Quality Reggae Artist, 9 Sept. 2014
This review is from: 1000 Volts of Holt (Audio CD)
If you like Studio One classic music, buy this - the whole CD is top quality Reggae and John Holt at his very best. I bought one and had to go back and buy another three for Christmas presents as so many family and friends liked it when they heard it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit of nostalgia, 18 Mar. 2013
This review is from: 1000 Volts of Holt (Audio CD)
I used to have this in vinyl many years ago and hadn't heard it for years so when i saw it on cd decided to treat myself, so glad i did its fantastic sound quality is brilliant and the extra tracks are a bonus fab buy.

1000 Volts of Holt
1000 Volts of Holt by John Holt (Audio CD - 2009)