5.0 out of 5 stars Never left the player!!
At last one of the Holy Grails of the Sensational Alex Harvey Band is released by the good old BBC. I've treasured the memories of Alex and the lads on the Old Grey Whistle Test and, dare I say it Top of the Pops?? (Yes)
Published on 16 Feb. 2009 by Glenn Cook

3.0 out of 5 stars bit ropey
but what a voice! I only got this for nostalgic reasons, it was one of the first things that grabbed me watching OGWT back in the day.
The music is great of course but, if I wanted music recorded off TOTP I would have kept my old woolworth tapes. At least I managed to edit out Noel Edmonds.
Published 12 months ago by Paul Warman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Never left the player!!, 16 Feb. 2009
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Live At The BBC (Audio CD)
The CD is a double with the first concentrating on Alex at the Paris Theatre and it is a stonking performance, well recorded and 11 wonderful tracks long. Believe it or not the stand out track for me has to be Dance to the Music which really shows how the band could really Rock. Every musician comes to the fore and it's just wonderful. The second CD has all the performances on the Old Grey Whistle Test that we just loved. I believe I am right in saying that the band recorded their tracks before BUT Alex sang live! Wonderful. The CD itself comes with a great and informative booklet by Sid Smith (Dec 2008) he describes the pedigree of all the tracks and I really must compliment him doing such a great job. These notes really add to the enjoyment of both CDS
The Price is an absolute steal. 18 numbers on a double Cd with a great cover, fab notes. If you wondering whether to buy the live Alex Cds I suggest you buy this. I'm sure that like me you will come back for more.
5 great stonking Stars!! Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational Steal....., 21 Feb. 2009
Mr. C. E. Campbell ""WAHWAH"" (LIVERPOOL,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At The BBC (Audio CD)
I am totally amazed how this gem has been allowed to gather dust in the vast vaults of the BBC.. But let me tell you this, thank god that the dust was blown away because this is a cracker.. The band are on form and Alexs voice is at his best.. The quality of this band excels and i wish i could turn back the clock and feel the atmosphere once again.. As the sleeve notes say "you had to be there".. Look at the price and buy it, its an absolute steal.. God Bless you Alex..

5.0 out of 5 stars Alex lives on, 2 Mar. 2009
Mr. Ian Grant "I.R.G" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At The BBC (Audio CD)
Great album as it says on the album you had to be there to love them.The sound quality is brilliant the musicianship the best, great songs full of humour.Brings back when I saw them at Charlton football ground in 76. Saw them without Alex last year very good but something amiss.
Two CD's for under six quid buy two,one for some one you like ,
it will bring back great memories
The second CD is from the old grey whitle test and full of very good tracks that span the years if you like Alex you have to have this.

4.0 out of 5 stars radio friendly sahb, 27 Mar. 2009
Derek Cullen "rocknroller" (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At The BBC (Audio CD)
if you like camp hard rock which doesn't take itself too seriously (check some of the covers on sahb 's other albums like the Impossible Dream for example) with a scottish accent and played by great musicians then this is for you! Recorded live for various Beeb radio programmes(and for the old grey whistle test)these cds capture sahb at their best.Well recorded and in some cases like faith healer ,early live renditions make for interesting listening.Zal Cleminson despite looking like a clown is certainly no clown on the guitar and his soloing is tremendous and riff making is pretty heavy too.All in all a very satisfying album capturing a much missed entertainer in Alex Harvey and his band at their best....have a listen...I would recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Always a 5, 28 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Live At The BBC (Audio CD)
This stuff hasn't always been in the vault as previously mentioned, the In Concert from the Paris was previously released as part of the Windsong series of BBC In Concerts, and the OGWT stuff was out as well as a seperate CD, but it is most welcome to see them re-released and collectively priced so competitively.

And of course the music itself is outstanding as are the performances.

Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERSAHB, 29 Mar. 2009
Mrs. P. Weavers (PETERBOROUGH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At The BBC (Audio CD)
GREAT CD BUY IT FOR THE BEST VERSION OF FAITH HEALER EVER .... ITS SO HEAVY...YES OK.. LIVE ZAL GIVES IT ROCKS , BUT THIS IS RAW!!!
GREAT CD, LOOKING FOREWARD TO THE NEW [LOST] CD. VAMBO STILL RULE OK.

4.0 out of 5 stars Alex Harvey Band at the Beeb, 13 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Live At The BBC (Audio CD)
I remember watching them for the first time on OGWT in the 70's, I was young and impressionable, Marc Bolan was still the hero, David Bowie was trying, I was moving on to Free, then Bad Company, Led Zeppelin, and found this weird sound. I love the early tracks, Next, Framed, Delilah, Faith Healer, Compliments to the Chef, and Boston Tea Party, missing from the CD was Gambling Bar Room Blues, a classic.
However, overall if you like the SAHB, then buy it. I have the live album this compliments it.
Buy it, 2 CD's at a Budget price worth it

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Sensational !, 17 April 2009
R. Alsop (Hull, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At The BBC (Audio CD)
This is a great release which captures SAHB at their best. I have all the vinyl albums from the 70's, some of which are better than others, but the one that started it all for me was Next in late 1973.
Being allowed to stay up and watch OGWT at the age of 13 was a revelation, with Alex singing Next in front of masked violinists. I was hooked ! That version is here, along with other BBC TV appearances (including the voice of Noel Edmonds introducing the band on TOTP in 1976).
The first CD is still the best though, as it includes loads of great tracks from the first two albums and a killer version of Sly's Dance To The Music.

I got to see the band in 1976 and they were everything I expected.

Buy this, turn it up loud and relive the great music! 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alex Harvey Live at the BBC, 18 Feb. 2009
JenJen (Bristol England UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At The BBC (Audio CD)
I have just finished listening to the Live at the BBC album.Was not sure what to expect but I can sum it up on one word - WOW!! An absolutely stonking album.Upbeat , soulful, riveting;best album I've bought for ages and I shall be getting more of their Albums in the future..Refreshing from all the current hip-hop rubbish.
Bring us more Amazon please.

3.0 out of 5 stars bit ropey, 19 May 2014
Paul Warman (Hertford, Hertfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Live At The BBC
Live At The BBC by Alex Harvey Band (Audio CD - 2009)