5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome! on continually in the car
Awesome ! on continually in the car ! I'm putting this on the shelf next to Joshua Tree. ...just so it gets the warm cosy feel it deserves! Not exactly JT but you travel through the album with the same well balanced variety of tracks, some hard some soft some stunning, cant believe i left it till now to buy !!!
Published 4 months ago by Blis Variant

3.0 out of 5 stars So close...
Published on 8 Jun. 2010 by Breavman

3.0 out of 5 stars So close..., 8 Jun. 2010
Breavman "Chris" (Somewhere in Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Line On The Horizon (Audio CD)
This is coming at you from what you would call an old school, hardcore fan. I have followed these Fair City chancers around the globe and even lived in their home town for five years...rubbing shoulders with them from time to time whether it be at The Olympia, Patrick Guilbaud's or the late great Lillie's Bordello. So I do consider myself an authority and a keen watcher from afar. A real fan speaks truthfully with realism. Ya gotta see their bad and good. Too many starry eyed, born again christian Yank fans treat them like they do their own flag- with blind patriotism. No band always makes the right move, the best song, the best album. The bombast and the soundbites can wear thin across the years oh Cuban heeled one. Alas, I digress...the album in question.
As the title says- So close...yet so far. This could have been one of the greats. The atmosphere and cover art of No Line set us up for something deep and melancholic. The title track sent the hairs up on the back of my neck and I got very, very excited. Bono has to try just that little bit harder for the upper register these days, but he's still got it. (Please stop when you don't...do not do a Billy Idol or Bon Jovi. Not that they are in your league.) Magnificent is just that, trademark uplifting U2. Some might say, not this again...I say spot on. Moment of Surrender- just as beautiful. What you must understand here is they are setting a mood. A very good one. We are heading for Classic Album territory here. Unknown Caller...yes! Yes! Love the intro...build, build harmonies. Thank-you Eno! My god this is going to be up there with some of their very best...nooooo! The next track marks the demise, the near miss, the big mistake. You just had to try for the single didnt you boys. Larry why didnt you speak up, reign the B man in? Eno you knew better didnt you? You tried to warn them. And bloody 'Boots'. I can't quite put my finger on why this is so incredibly dire, so very crap...it just is. Trying too hard again lads...you were onto something superb and you wrecked our buzz. Stand up Comedy. Again more of the same. You are not the Stone Roses. Actually, it is Bono cramming far too many naff lyrics into a fairly good tune that ruins this one. We don't need to hear about your ego...we've been hit on the head with it for 30+ years! I know you love the sound of your own voice but stop ooohhingg over every bit of nice playing Edge hits! He must get so annoyed with you at times. Sigh. Fez, ok excellent right back on track. Beautiful song. We are now back on the original mood that you lads set. White as Snow. Not my favourite ballad...I just think you are losing touch with the lyrics a bit B. What are you trying to tell us? What is this storytelling? I am not feeling the honesty. Something feels funny. The weakest of the good tracks, but not horrible and at least you are still on the right vibe. Hell, it may grow on me. Breathe. Yes! Edge you are sublime, Bono spot on, A & L a sweet groove. Great song. I might have gone a bit more minor with the chorus after the tone you set and the lyrics there are a bit weak after the verses but I'll forgive you. Cedars. Nice music. Cotinuity of atmosphere. Bono where are you at? Is it just me? I am not feeling you. Too much money for too long? Is the view too gilded from San Remo? Is the mist too thick up Killiney Hill. Come back.
Ok. A critical review. I love you no less. I bought the special edition box set. I flew to Dublin to watch you at Croker. I am doing the back stage catering at Glasto for god's sake. (Bloody 50 year old rock stars and their back spasms!) You have been with me since I was a messed up teen...'Boy' spoke for me, to me. I have spent thousands on you so I have a right. You missed the mark and you were on the right track. It is no secret that you struggle with final track listings/first singles. If you had led with Magnificent and a different video...hindsight, eh? I am certain that their were a lot of arguments and struggle with this, (look how long it took) Eno should have had final say. Your George Martin for a reason.
So there you have it. In any other hands a solid four stars, because it is you boys I dock a star for those three middle songs and Bono's often vague, grasping, unsure and unusually insincere lyrics. Have you run out of imagery, clever couplets? Yes, there are few great words...'I was born to sing for you', thank-you, but too much didnt work.
Wow. If anyone actually reads all this they deserve a medal. Still the best band around, arguably the best ever and the greatest show on earth. Bring on the next one. Long may your voice last Bono, you aint getting any younger and sort your freakin' back out! I am going to be trudging in the mud at Glasto for no reason now...
Signed,
A true fan

3.0 out of 5 stars I've only listened to NLOTH once but I quite liked it and I think it will be a grower, 6 Oct. 2014
This review is from: No Line On The Horizon (Audio CD)
Poorly received upon release, this one got past me, so I've just picked it up, after having received the new album free, through Apple. (Don't know why everyone's getting their knickers in a twist over that, by the way) Anyway, I've only listened to NLOTH once but I quite liked it and I think it will be a grower....and they're the ones that last!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome! on continually in the car, 11 Nov. 2014
This review is from: No Line On The Horizon (Audio CD)

2.0 out of 5 stars U2 - No hope on the horizon and not at all magnificent, 21 May 2009
Red on Black - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: No Line On The Horizon (Audio CD)
Another stodgy offering by "the biggest band in the world". It is one of life's great puzzles why people stay with our Irish chums? Is it through blind loyalty, unpreparedness to look elsewhere for new music or do they truly enjoy this substandard fare? "Moment of surrender" is overwrought with lyrical cliches while "Unknown caller" is U2 painting by numbers sounding like every other song they have recorded. The band trundle on of course in a sort of dogged march to the finish when undoubtedly their last album will sound like their first. Indeed quite where you locate U2 in the pantheon of rock history is problematic, neither as brilliant as the Beatles, as rebellious as the Stones, as powerful as Zeppelin or as important as the Byrds.

Bono not only retains but regularly renews the accolade of being one of the most truly irritating people on the planet whose sanctimonious diatribes about third world poverty are contradicted by his massive accumulation of private wealth. Granted any sane person will happily admit that "Achtung Baby" is a true wonder and an absolute corker. Thus if you are new to U2 go back and get the one truly indepensible album they have recorded not least of all for the songs "The Fly" (Edge's guitar is always the saving grace) "Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World" and "Mysterious Ways". As for this album however its conveyor belt corporate rock underpinned by a formula that ran out of steam about 15 years ago and should have been given a decent burial by now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Turned me back onto U2!!, 7 Jan. 2012
This review is from: No Line On The Horizon (Audio CD)
I was no stranger to U2, albeit pretty much lapsed fan. They had faded from view for me.
While "How to dismantle an atomic bomb" was far from a bad album, there's not much on there I bother with now.
Already had the last five albums but only got this in 2011 after hearing the Achtung tribute album and reading articles in the Q magazine it came free with. Was supposed to be influenced by Nine Inch Nails, I decided it would be worth a listen.
No, I can't hear any Nine inch nails in this but what I can hear is revitalisation and a group full of ideas and energy.
That is so rare in a band that has been around for so long, they tend to lose their 'edge' as it were!
The only blip on here is 'Get on your boots' the single which is a by the numbers song, but the rest are gems.
Favourites are 'Breathe', 'Unknown Caller' and 'Magnificent'. Find those on you tube and have a listen, you might be surprised at just how good they are...

4.0 out of 5 stars Magnifico, 11 Mar. 2009
S. Knight (Wirral) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Line On The Horizon (Audio CD)
This is a typical U2 album really, a mixture of some blinding tracks and a few distinctly average thrown in for good measure.

Certainly not as experimental as some would have you believe and in some ways quite similar in style to their last offering some four years previous 'HTDAAB' albeit a bit more 'in your face'.

Highlights include lead single 'Get on your boots', which has a 'Discotheque' feel about it and Elvis Costello's 'Pump it up' is also a fair comparison, it is a song that gets your attention right away and screams that U2 are back.

'Stand up comedy' carries on in similar vein and if you liked their recent collaboration with Green Day you will love this too.

'Magnificent' is just that....magnificent,this must rank as one of the best songs they have written for many a year and would not look out of place on the classics like The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby.

'Moment of surrender' is A.T.Y.C.L.B's 'Stuck in a moment' and H.T.D.A.A.B's 'Sometimes you can't make it on your own'.

'Breathe' is a breathe of fresh air sandwiched between the rather dull 'White as snow' and 'Cedars of Lebanon' and challanges Magnificent for top dog.

U2 had 60 songs to choose from apparently and it's a pity they couldn't have found better than 'Fez' and the aforementioned 'White as snow' and 'Cedars of Lebanon' amonst them because this isn't that far off from being another 'classic' U2 album instead of just another 'good' one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much makeup, 14 May 2010
This review is from: No Line On The Horizon (Audio CD)
Try as I might, I cant find any reason to listen to this again. Its had a few go's with healthy gaps inbetween to deliver some kind of sonic reasoning to my ears but it seems positively devoid of any musical and lyrical substance. I mean, Sexy Boots, and as a single!! Talk about an insult to my intelligence.

Its like they all met at the studio on a set date and crashed out an album. Then handed it to the producer hoping he could make it interesting. Whilst he's given it his best shot, he didn't have much to work with. Bonos lyrics have become too obtuse and try hard for my liking and the edge hasnt really brought any intersting material to the party either on this occasion. Leaving Larry and Adam to apply backbone to what was always destined to be a rather floppy animal.

In my opinion they need to put all the electronic gizmos in to the cupboard for a while and get back to basic songwriting again. And it wouldnt hurt if Bono could share a little soul rather than aim to be controversial or world savior.

4.0 out of 5 stars More durable than previous 2 albums, 11 Mar. 2009
Mr. Jonathan Robin Oxley "Jon Oxley" (Northampton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Line On The Horizon (Audio CD)
After the first listen of this album, I wasn't impressed, but after 4 or 5 listens you begin to realise that this album is probably going to be more durable than the previous 2 albums. The first 3 or 4 tracks are classic sounding U2 - Moment of Surrender and Magnificent are impressive, as is the title track - which then leads into a batch of songs which are probably best described as "more commercial". Reading the reviews, I thought I would struggle with these songs, but Get On Your Boots (first single, not best song but also certainly not the worst on the album either), Stand Up Comedy and I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight are to me really enjoyable. The album finishes strongly with Breathe and Cedars Of Lebanon. The album is only let down by White As Snow - surely right down there with Peace On Earth from All That You Can't Leave Behind - which is a shame as the album would have worked much better as a concise 10 tracks. Impressive album, but don't expect this album to have as much impact as say The Joshua Tree or Achtung! Baby.

2.0 out of 5 stars TIRED! Maybe I'm just getting tired of U2, but I couldn't get into this., 21 Sept. 2011
This review is from: No Line On The Horizon (Audio CD)
Maybe I'm just getting tired of U2, but I couldn't get into this album. I have all their albums from Joshua Tree onwards and to me this seems easily the weakest, most tired and least original. I don't get these "greatest album since Achtung Baby" reviews at all, as to me it's the opposite. The only song I really like is White As Snow, which uses the melody from the Christmas carol "O Come Emmanuel" and is very beautiful. For the few listens I gave it, none of the other songs jumped out at me much. I see Rolling Stone ranked "Moment of Surrender" at #160 in a list of Greatest Songs of All Time, but I find it a bit boring! Maybe what's happened to me since their last album is that I've become a big fan of the Beatles and Paul McCartney, and U2 just can't measure up to that level of versatility. They seem to have only one basic sound, and I've lost patience with Bono's whining vocals. I still love Achtung Baby, but can't get into anything off this album except "White As Snow". Tired.

2.0 out of 5 stars So forgetable, 12 Sept. 2009
This review is from: No Line On The Horizon (Audio CD)
Having enjoyed U2s music over the years this album is a disappointment. As ever the musicianship is superb but having listened several times now there is nothing in this collection of songs that stands out and grabs your attention. Can't help but think that if this had been released by a less established band it would have sunk without trace.

No Line On The Horizon
No Line On The Horizon by U2 (Audio CD - 2009)