4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Saturday (or any) night entertainment
Published on 8 Jan 2010 by Christopher Rudd

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and disappointing, both at the same time.
Yes, of course if you've read the books you should definitely go see the movie. And yes, you will probably enjoy it. BUT, that said, as a book-to-movie adaptation, of course it could also be better.

Published on 7 Jan 2009 by down-right-mysical

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Saturday (or any) night entertainment, 8 Jan 2010
Christopher Rudd (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twilight (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
Much furor has been created around Catherine Hardwick's adaptation of Stephanie Meyer's bestselling novel of a worlwind romance between a reclusive vampire and an inquisitive teenage girl. Adolescent females turned up to picture houses in their droves to catch a peak of Robert Pattinson's portrayal of the pale skinned metahuman pin-up, and, were largely not dissapointed.

Twilight is not depicted as a chick flick - the melancholic imaginations of the two respective leads, Edward and Bella, make for a brooding intensity not present in breezy romantic comedies that usually ply for female attention. Nor, even, is Twilight exclusively female orientated, but it aims to reach audiences of all types and ages with stunning visuals and a high octane finale.

The story is somewhat rushed, although perhaps judiciously so, in order to allow Pattinson and Stewart time for their characters to bond. Where possible, Hardwick uses dramatic licence in order to progress the narrative expeditiously: the underplayed relationiship between Bella and her father being perhaps the most obvious example, but also the rather bizarre roots of Edward and Bella's relationship which would test anyone's notion of 'weird'. And why is Stewart's morose protagonist the most saught after girl in school? Nevertheless, the dynamic between the two leads works: both are misanthropes (not that any of Bella's school chums seems to notice) with a fascination for each other tinged with an unspoken sexual tension (it is noteworthy that for a romance, there is hardly any physical contact at all); and it is this dynamic that drives the storyline through.

It is a shame, therefore, that Twilight is ultimately divided into two parts: the first being the setting for Edward and Bella's romance - the unlikely relationship between a human and a natural born killing vampire and also the . The second feels like an appendage, an unecessary exposition of the danger Edward puts Bella in merely by her being close to him. Where the latter may be more integral to the narrative of the book, on screen it feels bustled onto the end of an already intruiging character plot. But this is not a significant hindrance - only a minor concern. Overall, Twilight is an enjoyable watch, which is tonally and visually excellent, but hurried in pace and often requiring leaps in its audiences' imagination.

For fans of Robert Pattinson, it is a must, and for readers of the book perhaps a cautious maybe. But for everyone else, Twilight is well worth a watch for some Saturday evening popcorn entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twilight, A Reluctant Geek's Perspective, 31 Aug 2012
This review is from: Twilight [DVD] (DVD)
I think that watching Twilight for the second time was one of the best ideas I have had for a long time. The Sorrows of loosing a parent to someone else and having to move your entire life and live with your other estranged parent is in my opinion portrayed wonderfully by Kristen Stewart.

Having never joined a new school myself the awkwardness, discomfort and inadequacies that are portrayed really give me a feeling of how hard it must be for someone of 16 or 17 years old to want to give up and lose hope. Especially if someone you have a crush seems to not want to know you at all.

Robert Pattinson plays his role brilliantly. He is able to make a smooth transition from utter disdain to showing how much his character, Edward, cares for Bella's emotional and physical well-being.

Catherine Hardwicke's direction and the use of camera angles, especially landscape and horizon shots really took my breathe away. Showing such a beautiful scenic location in almost every scene and of course the use of steady-cam and cam-cranes really makes you feel as though you're right in the middle of all the action. The baseball scene in particular is a favourite of mine because it shows the strength, speed, agility and playful side of vampires and how they're not just bloodthirsty sadistic killers.

Carter Burwell's score really sets every scene from slow heart warming ballads to a fast heart pounding rush of emotion that really puts every hair on end. All in all I have to say that Twilight is one of the best films I have seen in the last 10 years. From the amazing award winning cast, beautiful scenery, fantastic soundtrack and the elegant execution of page to screen. Well Done.
-- Chris Brown, 31 Chesterfield

5.0 out of 5 stars omg!!, 28 April 2012
This review is from: Twilight [DVD] (DVD)
Before i start i just want to mention that im a 30 year old old woman with 3 children and a huge horror/thriller lover. Dont really like syfy far fetched stuff, so anyway!
a few of my good friends are all going on about how good TWILIGHT and the rest of the movies are "edward this "edward that "jacub this "jacub that (r u team edward or team jacub?) WHAT THE HELL they talking about, their married women in their 30s being obsessed with teenage movies and teenage boys. i had to laugh must be going through mid life crisis early lol.
So one night i was sitting flicking through channels and saw that twilight was just about to start and thought i would see what all the hype was about, well let me tell you i was hooked within the first 20 mins and couldnt look away. I couldnt honestly take my mind of it all night i was hooked and still am!
Ive since ordered all the books and all the movies and i watch the movies one after another then when ive finished i start again and same with the books haha (how sad am i)
Anyway all i can say never judge until you watch something and im a huge lover of the twilight series
I would highly recommend this film!
OHH YEH AND IM TEAM EDWARD!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Twilight the movie, an outsiders perspective, 2 Feb 2009
This review is from: Twilight (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
I had never read the Twilight books when I went to see the movie. I vaguely remember the hype of Breaking Dawn's release, but it didn't mean anything to me. I saw the queues for the opening of the film and it meant nothing to me, apart from about 3000 people in Dublin being stupid enough to queue for hours in the rain to see a film.

I love vampires and werewolves though, so, at a loose end one weekend, I convinced my boyfriend that it wasnt a horror, and there was nothing else to do. we laughed for about the first hour. it was very funny. But by the middle of the tree top scene I was hooked. we both were.

I rushed home and ordered all four books that night. I read the series straight through twice, and dragged my mom to see the film with me. (I'm in my mid 20's, she's considerably older....)I sat, completely unmoving the whole way through the move. it was like I was greeting old friends. once I knew the story, all of the humour went out of the film, and it became totally engrossing. my mom thought so too.

lots of little things were changed, obviously. the book is better. obviously. I didnt like Stewert (?) as Bella. she played her as too self assured, too graceful. it wasnt Bella for me. But Pattinson brought Edward to life in a way that was so different. I actually liked him more after seeing the film that in the books.

Kellan Lutz is missing the dimples and curls but hes still the same adorable, deep as a puddle Emmet we all love.

the film is more of a companion to the book, it makes the scenery solid. I thought that was actually a plus of the movie, I knew what the characters looked like, I was a little fuzzy on what their neighbourhood was like. the film filled that in. when midnight Sun is published the three will stand together to give a 360 view of Bella and the Cullens world.

WIll I buy the DVD? yes. WIll I watch it a million times, of course. but I'll read the books one million and one ;)

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and disappointing, both at the same time., 7 Jan 2009
This review is from: Twilight (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] (DVD)

Personally, I always wonder where they find the screenwriters who're crazy enough to take on a job like this. No matter what you do, no matter how faithful you are to the book, or conversely how much you change it, very, very rarely is a film version ever better than the novel that stemmed it. Twilight is no exception.

Certainly, it has it's good points. The casting, for one, I think is exceptional: while I had some qualms before I saw it, I loved all the actors, and wouldn't change a single one. They have their moments, of course, but for a young cast they're really rather impressive, particularly Robert Pattinson: I'm disappointed Catherine Hardwicke wouldn't let him play the part as 'dark' as he wanted to.

And that, I think, is where most of the problems with this film lie: with Hardwicke, its director, and Melisssa Rosenberg, it's screenwriter. For starters, I can't help but question Rosenberg's credentials. She's written a lot for TV, but only one other screenplay to date (that being 'Step Up', of all things) and sure, everyone's got to start somewhere... but with one of the biggest films of the year? Maybe not.

I can't fathom many of the changes Rosenberg made. Adding in scenes like the extra scenes with the 'bad' vampires, thus shifting the films emphasis from the 'love story' to the 'action' or 'horror' factor, or like the entirely pointless Biology trip (the conversation that took place there could easily have happened in its original setting), and shifting the order of scenes... the entire Port Angeles scene was thrown out of sync by the fact that Bella did not find out Edward was a vampire until after. And then when she planned to confront him, she went off into the forest with him, not knowing he was 'vegetarian'! In the book, I never thought of Bella as crazy... in the film, I can't help but question it. I simply do not understand the need to change things like that, which would have been so much better if left as they originally were.

Then there's the fact that both Rosenberg and Hardwicke seem greatly preoccupied with showing of the 'scenery' of the the American Northwest. Great, so there are lots of trees. We don't need to see Bella and Edward running off into the woods and climbing trees (besides the point that Edward would never let Bella do that anyway because he'd be too scared of Bella falling out of one), because its supposed to be from Bella's perspective... and Bella doesn't like the great out doors and Forks, in her opinion is far too 'green'. So, skip the theatrics, and give us the love story.

But, err... what love story? If you have not read the books, you could call Bella and Edward's romance entire non-sensical. They've barely talked to each other, and suddenly they're saying 'I'm only afraid of losing you' or 'you're my life now'. Although, never once do they say 'I love you'. And isn't that what it's really supposed to be about? The ultimate love story. Sadly, it's not.

But,all that said, i will see the film again, and I will be buying it on DVD because the essence of Stephenie Meyers work is still there. The plot is still good, the characters still similiar (though Bella is more annoying), and Kristen Stewart and Rob Pattinson do have good chemistry, they're just not given enough chance to prove it.

I really hope they do better with examining the love story in 'New Moon'... but seeing as there's less of it, I really doubt it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Twilight, 13 Sep 2009
This review is from: Twilight (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
I LOVE the book series and at first I found this film a little disappointing - but I watched it about five times with an open mind and tried not to think of the book and began to enjoy it. The deep love and fascination between Bella and Edward is vague and you have to guess how she's feeling and Edward (Robert Pattinson - may he find his way to my pillow as a vampire!) isn't really dangerous enough. If it's true that he was toned down against his wishes - BIG mistake! I think the fault lies with the screenwriting (did any of the production/directing team actually read the book?) - I totally agree with the other reviewers' comments in this area. Kristen Stewart can be irritating when she shows so little emotion, she obviously needs to learn how to open her mouth when she speaks and Edward shins up the most amazing trees with Bella on his back - obviously totally forgetting that she is supposed to be not only accident prone but really scared of the great outdoors! A little more attention to developing the strange obsessesional love story might have helped. The actors are well chosen (Kristen Stewart is exactly as I imagined Bella) - although I'm not too sure about the Carlisle choice - and its just a shame that the screenplay wasn't better. Pity because its a brilliant story - but I shall look out for the other films as I am now hooked on the Twilight series. Hopefully the screenwriting will improve.

As I say don't expect too much - watch the dvd as something removed from the book - if you've already read it - and you'll enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars R.Pattz is GORRGEOUS!!!!!!, 1 Sep 2009
Ms. Sheryl Andrews "A customer" (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twilight (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
I was never very interested in seeing this film when it first came out. Basically ALL of my friends had seen it, basically every girl in my school had seen it, even quite a few of the teacher's had seen it (proof it's not just for teenagers!!) Everyone kept on telling me how much I would love it... but I still wasn't interested. A lot of my friends would always go on about how gorgeous Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen) was. I totally agreed having seen him in the 4th Harry Potter movie.
I finally gave in and watched it when my aunt, who is 40 (even more proof it's not just for teenage girls) was going on about it, having recently bought it on DVD. She said she'd let my and my sister borrow it, my sister really wanted to see it, my mind was still unchanged but I didn't say otherwise.
Then the night we borrowed it my sister was watching it downstairs with my mum (who is 38 and loved it - even MORE proof it's not just for teenagers!!!!) I was bored and there was nothing else to do so I thought, I might as well watch it. And guess what???... I fell IN LOVE with it!!!! (And Robert Pattinson for that matter!!!!!) I loved it (I'm 13 so I guess I fall under the 'typical' audience of this movie). My sister (11) loved it. My mum loved it. Even my nan enjoyed it!!!! I thought the plot was very well shown, the chemistry between the two leads, R.Pattz and Kristen Stewart, was priceless, the special effects were perfect and the whole cast were just simply amazing!!! With equally gorgeous boys, including the loverrrly Jacob!!
It was my sister's birthday recently and she said she desperately wanted to get this movie. I was equally as desperate so I bought it for her... hoping that if it was me who bought it for her, she would let me watch it whenever I liked!!! It was even better the second time round and the overall story just made much more sense. Plus R.Pattz was just as gorgeous (sorry if I keep going on about him...I can't help it!!! I'm in love with him!!!) I'm guessing Kristen Stewart is easy on the eyes for the lads as well!!!!
I would recommend it to anyone!!!! And anyone who critises it for being 'just for teens' is totally wrong!!!! I've got proof...My teacher's loved it. My aunt loved it. My mum loved it. My NAN loved it. And my step dad loved it!!!!
Don't judge!!!! BUY IT!!! The most see movie of the year!!!!!! Plus the special features are great (buy this version!!) 5 STARS!!!!!!!!! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars It Put A Spell On Me..., 12 May 2009
This review is from: Twilight (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
I thought I would write a review about the special features because lots of people have commented on the film and said very little (if anything) about the contents of the second disc. I liked the film, but I am going to focus mainly on the bonus features of this 2-disc set. If you enjoyed the film then the bonus disc is definitely worth watching.
The extended scenes include a longer sequence of Bella and Edward lying in the meadow. 'If I ever hurt you I don't know how I would live with myself. You don't know how it's tortured me,' Edward tells Bella, who replies 'I'd rather die than stay away from you.' I thought this scene worked better than the one that is in the final cut. I don't understand why they didn't put it in the movie because it really captures the 'essence' of the book, as well as the relationship and chemistry between Bella and Edward.
There are 2 deleted scenes of Bella and Edward. The first is a slightly different scene of when Bella dreams of Edward. She 'wakes up', sees him standing at the foot of her bed, reaches over and kisses him, before waking up for real, sees him standing there, puts the light on and then he's gone. The second contains the famous line 'Bella, your number was up the first day I met you.' The scene starts off quite serious with Edward warning Bella to be careful and not to wander off into the woods by herself, but ends in a playful manner with the two of them sprawled on the grass looking at each other.
Other highlights are the features 'Becoming Edward' and 'Becoming Bella', A Conversation with Stephanie Meyer, the Twilight UK premiere and The Comic Con Phenomenon, where the cast are screamed at by 6000 fans and asked questions. When a fan asks if anything spontaneous happened during filming, the director Catherine Hardwicke shares with the audience that when Kristen and Robert were rehearsing the kiss scene, Rob got a little passionate and fell off the bed. The audio commentary could have been a bit more informative about the filming process. Catherine Hardwicke occasionally says things like: 'Rob, you're looking pretty buff in this scene,' which I thought was hilarious.
Basically, if you saw the movie and thought there could have been more Bella and Edward, and left the theatre feeling short-changed because you could see the chemistry but felt it wasn't developed properly, I would recommend this edition for the extended footage and deleted scenes.
OK, so it might not have made the final cut, but you can still watch it and obsess over it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Its spell is beginning to take affect on me, 8 Jan 2009
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Twilight (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
TWILIGHT was, of course, the release of 2008. Millions of girls have long drooled over Edward Cullen from the books by Stephenie Meyer; the release of this film gave them the chance to see if their fantasies of him have adequately been lived up to.
Although I have not yet read the book - my copy is winging its way to me as I write - I have to say that the film has served to begin wrapping the world of Twilight around me. Whilst I may be as crazed as some others, I have to admit that I am beginning to eagerly await the next installment.

What I think the film succeeds in doing is beginning to explain the love between Bella and Edward. There are some questions there, for me, about what exactly drew Edward to her - he mentions that she is the one person that he can't read her mind; that her scent drives him crazy; that never before has he wanted to drink someone's blood like he has hers, but that does not explain why he loves her. I am hoping that the next film will continue to explore this. (Of course, after reading the book, there may also be more answers there for me).

I think the casting is also fab. At the beginning of the film, I felt that Edward and the other vampires were actually quite laughable; one character says about one in particular, "the one who looks like he's in pain". However, by the end of the film, I must admit that even I had fallen slightly under the spell of Edward Cullen. The darkness and the intensity, along with the tenderness whilst keeping his deepest passions under control definitely had an affect on me!
Love is often a tortuous road, and this love affair seems destined to fail. Can't wait to see how it will develop.

4.0 out of 5 stars Angel: Remember your first love?, 23 Jan 2009
This review is from: Twilight (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
Remember your first love? the first time you saw that guy or girl that made your hair stand up on the back of your neck? How your stomach wrenched at the very thought of being spoken to by him /her? How when you finally managed to communicate that all you wanted next was to feel the touch of their skin? Well forget about the fact that Edward is a Vampire, go watch Twilight and have all those great memories come rushing back.
I brought my niece to watch Twilight as i new she was reading the books (along with every other girl in her class)as a birthday treat and I was completely drawn in. I am well past the giggling of teenage girls but oh to be a teenager again!. Robert Pattinson is a stunningly 'beautiful' guy and gives a great performance along with Kirsten Stewart. The film could have done with a bigger budget as the climbing up the tree and running through the forest scenes were not all they could have been but the baseball scene was great.I have since read the book on my niece's persuasion and thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope that the awkward and early viewing times that the film has been slotted into in my locality does not effect the success of the film as it is being shown while kids are in school and just after school finishes. Overall it is a lovely film with some flaws but a definite chick flick for any age i.e. if you like a darker side and can get past the Vampire thing!

Twilight (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Twilight (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] by Catherine Hardwicke (DVD - 2009)