1,083 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product
I did a lot of research before I bought this product - other fountains were meant to be noisy and difficult to clean. I am so glad I chose this one!
It is silent when operating, and is very easy to clean, you can even put it in the dishwasher. Filters are reasonably priced and easy to change.

Other benefits are a long electrical lead, and you can unplug it...
Published on 11 Nov. 2010 by Majic

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY THIS!!
This is a great idea, my cats loved it and used the various drinking platforms, my wife and I thought it wonderful as we could fill it up and not worry about our toms going thirsty whilst at work.

I also loved the fact that it had a filter, the unit was lightweight and easy to clean, however there is a "But" and it is a huge "BUT".

I...
Published on 21 Mar. 2013 by Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 11 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Cat Mate Pet Fountain (Misc.)

Other benefits are a long electrical lead, and you can unplug it near the appliance for cleaning so you don't need to unplug the whole thing - ours is plugged in behind a cupboard so to have to remove the plug from the socket every time we cleaned it would have been a pain.
Our cat took one look at the fountain, then walked up to it and drank for about a minute, as though he had been waiting for it all his life! He loves to drink from the different wells, there are three to choose from.
Cheapest is not always best, but in this case, this very reasonably priced product seems to be the best on the market, no complaints from me (or our cat!) about any aspect of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cat Mate, 26 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Cat Mate Pet Fountain (Misc.)
This is an excellent product , completely quiet in operation ,you can't hear any noise from the motor / pump unit, and it is very easy to clean , both cats use it with no problem , supplied in excellent condition and on time .one of the best pet purchases we have ever made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy a new pump until you've tried cleaning it!, 22 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Cat Mate Pet Fountain (Misc.)
I'd never heard of such a thing as a cat drinking fountain until my vet mentioned them as a potential way of getting my cats to drink more (they were both prone to having bouts of cystitis - especially the male). The problem with the usual bowl of water we gave them is that, apart from the chemical content of tap water, which the cats can smell, it quickly becomes deoxygenated and cats don't like this. So, they would need to go elsewhere to find something preferable. The water fountain addresses both issues.

I did my research and decided this one appeared to be the best. Ok - so it took the cats a little while to get used to it but now they use it most of the time and neither has had cystitis since I bought this in April 2011 - quite a result!

It is quiet to run, easy to clean and the filters are fairly priced. It is worthwhile taking the time to rinse it out on a regular basis (you'd be surprised at the amout of crud that accumulates) and I learned a new trick today in that you can also clean out the pump - thanks to a review left by 'pinky' last year.

As in a few other reviews I've read, my pump stopped working today, although that was after nearly two years of constant use. I came on here today to see if there was any information regarding buying a new pump but then saw mention of cleaning the pump in one of the reviews. So, figuring I had nothing to lose I tried it and after cleaning out the gunk it is working perfectly again - in fact with a better flow than it has had for a while. Now I know it is possible to do this, I'll make it part of the cleaning routine.

All the parts just pull apart (there are no screws or clips) and what you need to do is:
1. Remove the cover at the end of the pump that the water goes through - it's the end with the flow adjuster.
2. Remove the odd shaped cover that conceals the blue 'wheel' that gyrates.
3. Pull the blue 'wheel' out - this is magnetised so feels like it doesn't want to come out at first.
4. Give all the bits a good clean - an old toothbrush is good for this.
5. Put it all back together and off you go again.

I also found there was a build up of limescale around the magnetised part so cleaned that off as well as I could with a plastic scouring pad too.

I hope this helps other users and saves them some money that they might not need to spend on a new pump.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 11 May 2011
This review is from: Cat Mate Pet Fountain (Misc.)
I have 4 cats. All of them are drinking from the fountain, after 2 weeks of circling it and indecision. It is silent. It is incredibly easy to clean - I throw it into the dishwasher once a week. I have only had it for 3 weeks now, so no idea how long it will last, but fingers crossed a long time.

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY THIS!!, 21 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Cat Mate Pet Fountain (Misc.)

I am now on my third unit, the first lasted about 4 months, the second (not bought from Amazon) lasted about 8 months and the current one has now crashed and burned as well after only a few months. In each case the motor/pump within the unit burns out, this time when I got in from work there was a nasty electrical burning smell coming from hall and I immediately panicked. I thought I was just unlucky with the first 2 units but after the 3rd I even thought it was my electrics, I have since had them checked by an electrical engineer and found this not to be the case.

The simple problem is that these units are not designed to be left running constantly, which sort of defeats the whole purpose of the unit. I now have the dilemma that my cats are resisting the water I put in a bowl as they are used to filtered running water so I now have to find a replacement but I certainly wont be getting a 4th unit from this manufacturer. It is such a shame. I would happily pay extra for a more robust pump/motor and would certainly rate this a 5 star product but alas the longevity of the unit means that if I could I would give this no stars. Such a shame.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad, 28 Nov. 2012
Jenni Brook (South Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cat Mate Pet Fountain (Misc.)
After a lot research into the best fountains at the best price, I chose this one.

The fountain itself works very well, but my cats don't rush to drink from it.

Here are my main points:

CATS' OPINION = "Meh, I'd still rather drink from the tap, or not at all"

NOISE = once filled and running, the motor is silent, you can hear a slight water trickle. My cats are not afraid of it.

CLEANING = easy, it dismantles into two parts, one that you can clean under the tap and the other that houses the motor, you have to wipe with a cloth. I've found that I need to change the water and thoroughly clean everywhere, every 10-14 days, otherwise the fountain starts to smell like a fish tank and green stuff begins to grow! yuck!

FILTER = too expensive in my opinion, I'm reluctant to change it, so wash it in plain water every week, removing the debris

DESIGN = From the images, I assumed this fountain had a lip where the water would drop off, like a water fall. This would have caused more noise, but my cats like the sound of a dripping tap. Unfortunately, the design is more like a water slide, so no noise and it didn't attract my cats like the sink tap does!

The power cable is a good long length

SCORE = As a fountain, I would give it 4 stars, but as a useful addition to my household it gets 2 stars. My boy-cat still doesn't drink enough, so I soak his biscuits in water and he's fine with that.

I hope this review has been helpful - click 'like' if it has :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five star fountain - One star cat., 31 Aug. 2011
S. Miller (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cat Mate Pet Fountain (Misc.)
There's nothing wrong with the fountain - it works exactly as it says on the box, providing a constant and adjustable stream of fresh cool water for your much-loved moggy, at a very competitive price.

My mistake was putting it in my cat's food corner. He either saw from the illustration on the box, or gathered from its position next to his food, that this is a device Designed For Cats to Drink From. He therefore watched it for a while with amused and studied interest, poked his paw into it a few times, then promptly returned to the irresistible call of the watering can and birdbath in the garden, which are specifically NOT for cats to drink from and are therefore - in his contrary feline mind - far more attractive, despite the dead leaves and insects floating on the surface.

HOWEVER, as I said - I know there's nothing wrong with the fountain. It works perfectly, and is the desire of all but the most contrary of cats. i.e. Ours. I know this because I have had to shoo his drunken feline friends out a couple of times after they've sneaked in through the open back door to take of the waters from this wonderful moggy drinking fountain. I am sure if I moved it out to the watering can's spot in the garden and moved the watering can into his food corner he would undoubtedly be drinking copiously from the fountain at every opportunity.

1.0 out of 5 stars cat water fountain, 2 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Cat Mate Pet Fountain (Misc.)
Was fantastic for two months then stopped working for no reason although pump still creates some movement no water goes up to the top.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite sweet really, 30 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Cat Mate Pet Fountain (Misc.)
Arrived promptly.Maybe it was me but I didn't find assembling it straight forward,Once assembled it works a treat.It really is very quiet,you can hardly hear any trickling at all,if ever.When things are quiet in the house I can hear the faint low hum of the motor I pressume,but even that is quiet.Most of the time you'd hardly know it was there.On max setting the water still only trickles,so it'll never frighten the cats and you wont hear it.I thought it might be soothing to hear water, but you dont!
The height of the top compartment is used by lots of the cats,maybe as they're bigger with longer legs?...female Maine Coon, and 2 Ragdolls but its used particularly by my Tortie pointed Persian,I'm sure its nicer for them not to have to stoop to drink.
The Persian took to it straight away and drank so much that evening! The other 4 took a day longer but they all use it now. It was such good value, I had to give it a go and I'm glad I did.I saw it for around £26 at the Supreme Cat show! As if!
I've washed it out twice so far as limescale seems to be slowly forming around the top levels of the water,even though I use Evian. I hate tap water and they've all drunk much more water when I started using Evian, even before this fountain.It does seem to keep the water on the cool side,never room temp.
My sister said it looked a bit like a potty which I wasn't impressed with...the cheek!
I'd probably have given it 5 stars if it was more aesthetically pleasing.
All in all.... its a yes from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars clean mountain fresh water, 6 April 2010
This review is from: Cat Mate Pet Fountain (Misc.)
Did the research, liked the fact that it was easy to clean and quiet. Took a couple of days but both cats love it. up to now they were only drinking out of a glass on the work top or from the bath.I put it on the work top next to the plants and it looks like a water feature, one cat drinks from all three bowls and the other licks it from the water fall. really pleased with it the water is nice and cool and i only have to change it every couple of days.

Cat Mate Pet Fountain
Cat Mate Pet Fountain by Pet Mate Ltd.