4.0 out of 5 stars Great film - well worth watching if you enjoyed Vacancy
There were mixed reviews about this film, but after seeing Vacancy, I fancied watching this one too and at £[], it was a bargain.

My husband also really enjoyed Vacancy, so we sat and watched Vacancy 2 and I must admit, we were pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

This film tells the story of how they came about making 'snuff movies'...
Published on 10 Aug 2011 by JoBettyBoop

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good - 3.5 stars
Published on 6 Mar 2009 by Dr Evil

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good - 3.5 stars, 6 Mar 2009
Dr Evil (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Vacancy 2 : The First Cut [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Although it doesn't have the big names in like the first film, I found `Vacancy 2: The First Cut' to be a much better movie. The story is based 3 years before the first and begins with the owners of the Meadow View Motel secretly video-taping guests having sex for profit, but one guest murders the woman that he is with and the owners have it on tape. They capture the guest and after discussing what to do with him they realise that there may be more of a market for snuff films, so they blackmail him into helping them murder the guests in exchange for them not handing the tape over to the police. A young couple and their friend are then the latest "stars" of their movies.

I wasn't expecting much from this to be honest as I wasn't that impressed with the first film and straight-to-DVD horrors (particularly sequels) tend to be pretty rubbish, this however was very tense, good storyline, well acted and was generally just much better than the one that actually made it to the cinema. One of the things I didn't like about the first film was that there was no real reason for them making the snuff movies but in this one it explains why and actually makes watching the first one again more enjoyable. Again, it's not all that gory and the murders are very subtly filmed, which I liked as it gave it a more Hitchcock's Psycho feel about it.

Overall this is one of the better horror thrillers I've seen recently and is well worth checking out even if you're not a fan of the first film like me. I was very surprised at how good this film was and floats somewhere between 3 stars (the camera work wasn't that great and the story isn't that original) and 4 stars (still impressive and very exciting) so I'll give it a 3.5 star rating.

NOTE: Amazon's synopsis of this product has nothing to do with 'Vacancy 2' and I have no idea which film they are talking about, so ignore it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great film - well worth watching if you enjoyed Vacancy, 10 Aug 2011
This review is from: Vacancy 2 : The First Cut [DVD] [2008] (DVD)

This film tells the story of how they came about making 'snuff movies'.

If you enjoyed the first one, I don't think you'll be disappointed with this one.

I do tend to read reviews before watching a film, but each to their own.

Definitely worth watching.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good film, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Vacancy 2 : The First Cut [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
As above a good film, not excellent, but worth a watch and I would watch this film again and own it if brought cheap.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor follow up., 2 Mar 2013
This review is from: Vacancy 2 : The First Cut [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
If you likes the first Vacancy..Be prepared to be disappointed with this follow up..The film has no atmosphere like the first, Not one for me, and I watch 2 fims a nightm 5 times a week.

2.0 out of 5 stars Another straight to DVD horror sequel (slight spoiler warning), 8 May 2009
Stevie G "Stevie G" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Vacancy 2 : The First Cut [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Vacancy 2 is a prequel, showing how the motel founded its snuff film empire. The origins story has been done already, Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning in particular. Like that film, Vacancy 2 resorts to horror clichés, ruining the potential of its original premise.

The motel owners are initially peeping toms, with camera setups recording each room, selling any hot action for a quick buck. When a brutal killing is captured on film, they enter more niche markets, going into business with the murderer, Mr Smith. They make plans to terrorise the motel residents when predictably, a group of teenagers arrive on the scene...
After an imaginative opening, which tells the story from the villain's perspective, Vacancy 2 soon degenerates into horror dross. Long, drawn out chases, horrendous acting, awful dialogue and illogical action sequences are all present and correct. It's a disappointing switch of focus; which destroys any originality, and the film overall.

3.0 out of 5 stars ROOM 6 MR SMITH!!!, 27 Mar 2009
Jason Thorne (England / Oxford) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vacancy 2 : The First Cut [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I think there will be a mixed bag of reviews for this film because it could and should of been so much better. The first Vacancy I thought was a really good unrated film however this wasn't as good. This encounter did explain how things got up and running at the motel and Mr Smith entrance was ok but nothing special. I think the story line in this film was pretty weak it just needed a bit more explaining. The was no mention of the under ground tunnels etc which was used alot in the the first film so overall you know bits but not enough. The acting was watchable as for the violence it was nothing that we haven't all ready seen and it wasn't what I would call bad. There was plenty of tension and suspense but most of the film was filmed in the dark and the camera work wasn't that clever. As I have said this should have been a gem the ground work had been done in the first film but for me it just lacked that little bit to keep you interested. I will say it is still one of the better films I have watched lately but don't expect to much and you might enjoy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars va, 29 Dec 2011
This review is from: Vacancy 2 : The First Cut [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Vacancy two was prety good. It is not to gory, although I love gore. It is a really good story.

3.0 out of 5 stars sequels are sometimes better, 24 Aug 2011
This review is from: Vacancy 2 : The First Cut [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I really enjoyed watching this film and thought it was much better than the first. I said sequel but this is a prequel this tells you how the psycho's started killing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst than the first effort if that's possible!, 29 Dec 2010
P. WILLIAMS "huggy bear" (spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vacancy 2 : The First Cut [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Having watched Vacancy, the first of these two movies that "starred" if that's the right word - Luke Wilson and Kate Beckinsale and been bored to death by that because that pair of victims NEVER appeared to take opportunities to escape when they had them and kept running around the Motel car park and back to the point where they were most endangered I then purchased Vacancy 2 which basically was the same plot and story/screenplay as the original, but with a different director, this time Eric Bross and different actors.The only person of real note in the whole production is Agnes Bruckner and why she decided to take this role is a mystery?There MAY have been SOME excitment IF she had actually got her kit off and we had then seen her and her fiancee attacked and fight their way out or something but this didn't happen and Arjay Smith their friend, who thought he was a comedian, was in fact just a nuisance in his role and soon became boring with his interruptions?All in all a wasted effort.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very predictable, 30 Oct 2010
Mark Gilmore (Deganwy, Conwy United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vacancy 2 : The First Cut [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I thought Vacancy 2 was pretty rubbish compared to the 1st 1. After I seen Vacancy, I could guess the story befoe it finished. Very unimpressed. :-(

Vacancy 2 : The First Cut [DVD] [2008]
Vacancy 2 : The First Cut [DVD] [2008] by Eric Bross (DVD - 2009)