on 16 March 1999
The method used in this book is the best technique I have ever seen. Each word is used in context, and you are encouraged to guess the meaning. Then you review the meaning using a matching test and a fill in the blank test. It is a stroke of brilliance that the words you have already learned are continually reviewed by being used over and over again in the following chapters. Each week has 4 lessons plus a review lesson, and a different storyline is used each week. These stories are of high interest and very clever. It is hard to put this book down; I have to restrain myself from going on to the next page! My only regret is that I didn't have this book 20 years ago!
I'm most impressed with this book. As one who works with students, too many of whom have sadly impoverished vocabularies, I have searched for some time for a book that hits the right level and has a sufficient range of words. Bromberg and Gordon not only more than meet these criteria, they also organise the material in a structured way that is ideal for any student anxious to undertake a serious attack on increasing their word power. Those who do not wish to submit themselves to this kind of regimen can still gain enormously from regular browsing and testing.
It seems to me churlish to complain that included are some words that should be taken for granted as part of every person's vocabulary. Such suppositions as to what is commonly known can prove misplaced. In any event this book is not aimed at those interested only in the recondite, words unlikely to be met except occasionally in specialised contexts. A wide range of idioms spice up each day's exercises and expand understanding further. I would commend this book to young people in the middle and higher reaches of schools, to college students and to the general public. Not surprisingly the book has an American flavour, but there seems to me to be no worthwhile UK equivalent. It should be on every bookshelf.
on 31 December 2010
I'm an English teacher in Spain and find this book to be incredibly useful for students of English in an advanced level. It's also great for native speakers who want to review.
on 15 October 2011
A clever approach to improving your vocabulary: English to English explanations, words in context, sample sentences, idioms and more demanding vocabulary. Perfect for more advanced students of English or ESL-teachers who want to brush up on their English own skills. The only downside is that the book doesn't use the International Phonetic System (IPA) which I believe students outside the US are more familiar with. However, I'm a great fan of this book and have recommended it to several friends and colleagues.
on 28 June 2013
Please ignore my previous review, the newer (!) edition costs a fraction of the price, this being a waste of money already! The pronunciation guidelines are hard to follow due to the non-regular system. The exercises and their order are a pain to follow, I don't feel like I am learning and I need to use additional dictionary for clarifying the pronunciation. Worst waste.
on 4 June 2012
Very useful for someone who wants to include formal or less ubiquitous words in their vocabulary. The best feature of the book however, is the idioms part. Whereas individual words require practice to memorize I found idioms to be easily absorbable. Mind you, this is not an academic-vocabulary-builder book. All in all: Good book!
on 16 March 2011
I've bought it for my English study. This book contains many useful words you should know when you read books, newspaper etc. Although there are still so many words I don't know, but I'm more confident about my vocabulary after I started using this book.
on 8 March 2013
Easy to navigate and written out so you can remember what you've learnt.
I would recommend this for students and for learning at home.
Keep this book handy and read a little each day for amazing results.
on 18 August 2012
This is really a good read.. start building your vocab with this before trying any other options.. the paras given are fun and the practice questions help you guess/apply words learnt and hence remember them
on 3 October 2011
I got if for my niece.The book was very useful and is now a best seller with my niece's peers. Everyone seems to want it now. The feedback is so good, I will be getting one for myself