4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky strategy game with some humorous touches
This is an updated take on the the travel the map, raising armies and fighting enemies games that we've seen before with Warlords, Disciples, HOMM and the original King's Bounty from a long time ago.

Published on 2 Mar 2009 by Clever Spud

3.0 out of 5 stars Crashes with Vista 64?
The game starts and looks beatiful, but unfortunately crashes every few (very few) minutes. My operating system is Vista 64, that might have something to do with the problem, I really don't know. The OS works great with everything else I installed.
Published on 25 July 2010 by Carlos Lopez Alonso

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky strategy game with some humorous touches, 2 Mar 2009
Clever Spud (Birmingham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: King's Bounty: The Legend (PC DVD) (Video Game)

So far I've restricted myself to playing as a Warrior but you can also play as a Paladin or a Mage. These character classes roughly correspond with your skill tree headings, Might, Mind and Magic but you'll be mixing and matching skills to best suit your playing style.

If you're familiar with Heroes of Might and Magic you'll know the drill as far as combat goes. Battles take place on a Hex grid, your armies taking turns to moved based on an initiative system. Each of your units has a basic attack but most also have various special moves. On top of this you have access to your personal spell book and later in the game you'll be able to summon demons of rage to perform special attacks.

The combat is pretty standard and my main criticism is that there's too much of and not enough variety. Battles with a lot of units can turn into drag out affairs and there's just not enough tactical variety for me to find them particularly engrossing. Once you've met a new unit type once you'll know exactly what to do to beat it the next time, and the time after that and the time after that as well. Troops are almost always bought and mixing troop type can affect morale. For instance standard soldiers don't like serving with zombies.

Something I didn't realise until halfway through the games was that I could load up my reserve army slots with spare troops. The reserve slots are opened up by a choice under the Might skill heading. Once there you can transfer one of your unit stacks from your active army to reserve duty. But you can then go on buying troops of the same type and add them to your reserve slot and use these to "top up" your active army after a battle. Without this you'll be spending a lot of time traveling back and forth across the maps to re-supply your army.

There's a lot more story and interaction with King's Bounty than with most of the HOMM clones, and it's here that the game really shines. There are some cheeky quests which poke fun at the fantasy genre conventions we've become familiar with, though this does seem to get a lot thinner on the ground after the opening areas.

The main quest is pretty linear but there are loads of side quests, boss battles and along the way you might even find yourself married (and divorced) more than once.

The combat is a 3.5 out of five but the story and RPG side would be a 4.5 out of five.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bountiful pleasure, 13 Jan 2009
Mr. R. LAMBDEN "multimedia appreciator" (Portsmouth, England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Kings Bounty plays in a similar way to the Might & Magic series but the graphical look reminds me of Dungeon Siege 2. The player alternates between roaming around a 3d realtime map and conducting turn based battles involving a huge variety of different troops. The main challenge revolves around managing the three resources being gold, troops and crystals. It's easy to end up being down to the bare bones and having to wander around desperately trying to find a few gold pieces to rebuild your army. I also find the non political correctness of the Russian developers refreshing. For example I have just kicked out my first wife and kids and run off with a female pirate. Although I have lost half of my gold and armour as part of the divorce settlement the improved combat stats make being a love rat worthwhile.
I have been playing games for 25 years and this is the most fun and addictive thing I've seen for a while.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Kings Bounty of fine gamerliness, 17 Feb 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Just to note - Kings Bounty is listed seperately here from Kings Bounty: The Legend. They are the same thing, just in case you're myopic.

1C games publishing are an interesting company. They have been successfuly churning out games in foreign markets for a while now, and are beginning to translate them for us lot. They have a few of the more interesting titles this quarter: Kings Bounty, The Tomorrow War and NecrovisioN. A turn based RPG, a Starlancer style space-sim and a first person shooter. Casting the net wide enough?? However, if Kings Bounty is anything to go by, its worth giving the others a shot.

Kings Bounty is a little older looking than other new releases, as its been out for some time in its other language iterations. That said, its slick, smooth and pretty - and your video card can sigh a sigh of relief. The character animations are great in battle, though the conversations with NPCs are limited to text boxes and pictures. It has plenty of chunky, meaty sounds to back up the action, and a swooping, reeling musical score. The rich environment created is very enticing, and it cannot be overstated how important that is.

The game is quite intuitive - by the third training battle I'd learned 80-90% of what I needed to know to venture forth. A quick read of the manual took care of the rest. That may sound like the game lacks depth, but its more a praise of the clever interface. The character skills and levelling up, the troop and inventory management, the varied and interesting enemies and NPCs - these yield the depth RPG gamers crave. It is a little odd, I suppose, to be the main character and not really feature in the battles. You command the troops and cast the spells and summon the spirits of rage, but never unsheath your sword, or swing your mages wand at an orc who has wandered too close. You carry equipment, like shields, helmets and amulets, but equipping them has an effect on your army rather than yourself.

The army itself is made up of units represented by single pieces. So, say, you have 40 of a specific type of troop, and an enemy delivers damage equivalent to 1/4 of the groups current health. Now you have 30 of them. Things get a little more complex than that - different items reduce the death toll, and later spells allow you to resurrect the dead, or heal the wounded. Building a powerful army is not always the way to go. Playing as a mage character, you will have a fairly small group, and endeavour to keep them alive whilst pelting the enemy with fireballs, etc.

Finally, this is a great game. Its been a bit of a dark period for gaming, in some regards, but this game shows that it can still be done - we can still produce games as good as the ones we older gamers remember from the mid 90's. The reason I hesitate to give it 5 stars overall is simply that there is room for improvement - this game could be reworked and added to, expanded into something really marvellous. Pay attention to games incoming from the foreign markets - they have a lot of promise.

5.0 out of 5 stars how refershing, 9 Feb 2009
Alex (London, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The world of RPG has had a tough time of late (except a few MMORPGs). The recent standard has been to badly dressed up first person shooters or other games where the main aim is to click-enemy-until-dead tack on a levelling system that ensures you can't shoot straight for the first 15 levels and call it and RPG.

This takes old style rpg - (where the point is to think about problems and find devise the sneakiest solution) and gives it a pretty makeover, nice sounds and a solid user interface. They've left the good bits in - open ended missions, large player area, frequently funny and occasionally morbid story and plenty of side quests. There's also plenty of scope for replay-ability as the character development system is flexible without giving everything to every player, and plenty of scope for expansion packs.

Should really have 4.5 stars as it could have done with some voice acting but is definitely one to get if you ever enjoyed the Heroes of might and magic series or fancy putting a little thought into your battles rather than mashing buttons till everybody's dead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic RPG / Strategy, 26 Mar 2009
Alex (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: King's Bounty: The Legend (PC DVD) (Video Game)
It's been a while since a game has got it's claws quite so deep into me. The last game of this particular genre worth playing (and endlessly re-playing) was Heroes of might and Magic III (HOMM 4 & 5 essentially tried and failed to be this game).

The turn based strategy part of the game is second to none and provides limitless variety. The RPG element that ties the battles together is solid, often funny and also full of variety. Differing difficulty levels provide a solid game for all, and I found Normal wasn't overly taxing and plenty for the casual gaming I enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, 11 Jan 2009
J. Tory (UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is a mix between heroes of might and magic and a RPG. It blends both genres perfectly, also combining great graphics with a slick interface.

Bottom line, if you like heroes of might and magic, you will love this game. Frankly i would rate it as one of the top games of 2008, just a shame it had such a terrible publisher, my heart goes out to the developers.

5.0 out of 5 stars An RPG-Strategy Classic, 7 Mar 2009
Master Jacques (London, England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: King's Bounty: The Legend (PC DVD) (Video Game)
As a major fan of the Heroes of Might and Magic series (especially HMM3) I approached this game as a "stop-gap" until my next HMM fix came along.

I've been amazed by the variety, depth and playtime value of this excellent game, one of the best I've ever played. You really need to think about each battle, and about how you develop your hero. In addition, the "cheesy" Kings Bounty humour and graphic beauty kept me entranced - through each of the three possible play styles (warrior, mage and paladin) for months.

This is one of the finest and most absorbing games I've ever played, and one of the most challenging - I can't wait for the sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game - Buy It Now, 9 Mar 2009
Darryl Still "daxvondrac" (Bucks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: King's Bounty: The Legend (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I cannot recommend this game enough. The bloke who compared it to Heroes of Might and Magic is right, it's in the same genre, but his review is sooooo wrong and he has obviously not spent any time with the game.
Kings Bounty is full of great surprises. Not at all predicatable, its fun, addictive and a great step forward on other games in the genre.
You will not regret buying this one at all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Crashes with Vista 64?, 25 July 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: King's Bounty: The Legend (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I visited the game forums, I tried to download a patch from the game website (it didn't download, even if there are two patches listed/linked). I downloaded another patch from another website that did install properly, but the game copy protection now prevents the game from starting, since the DVD is no longer recognized. Too bad, the game looked nice.

Edited:
Finally found a configuration that does not usually crash. I had to lower all settings to minimum (my PC is really good so that was not the problem) The game looks a little bit less beautiful, but that's all.

Now that I can play it correctly, I find it's somehow repetitive, but OK for the parice I payed. It's a pity I had the technical problems described above.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent old school fantasy, 25 Mar 2010
This review is from: King's Bounty: The Legend (PC DVD) (Video Game)
This game starts a bit slowly but soon you're wallowing in a pretty fantasy landscape building armies and fighting enemies. The gradual build up of the rage spirits and the extra magical abilities is a nice touch, and keeps combat interesting even after hundreds of similar fights. You also get to access armies with better and more interesting powers. I really recommend this game - it is well thought out and the best example of the old might and magic franchise. There are literally hundreds of side quests and it is very open ended in terms of what you can do next. I've spent a long time with this great game - the best game of 2009 for me!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

King's Bounty: The Legend (PC DVD)
King's Bounty: The Legend (PC DVD) by Ascaron (Windows XP)
2.49