Format: DVD|Change
Price:£32.96+ £1.26 shipping

on 17 November 2012
This is my favorite period of Joni Mitchell (around her Blue album) and this show captures her doing a fine job. I have some other BBC music footage and this is a fine, albeit short, concert - perhaps there is some more footage? The sound and picture quality are fine although the actual film-making choices are a little odd at times (I guess a product of that time - at least no-one played with the Zoom which seems to be a common feature in those years)...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 March 2016
Please note: As Amazon appears to have incorrectly linked this product for review purposes with the identically titled Joni Mitchell DVD, I must point out that my review is for the Donovan DVD which is also titled 'An Intimate Performance': An Intimate Performance [DVD] [2011].

God bless Donovan! This man has made some of the most important music of my life, and every album is a work of art in itself. DVD releases, although the ones which are available are truly excellent, are much less frequent, but 2009's 'An Intimate Performance', the first commercial release of a 1972 BBC episode of their popular 'In Concert' series, which was recorded live in London, is a real gem for all lovers of the Hurdy Gurdy Man.

Sat down on a stool with the only the aid of his guitar and distinctive singing voice to help him out, here we find a real musician, dressed in a cool blue T-shirt and long purple trousers (not like the unrelated colour picture which is splashed on the DVD's front cover), looking rather like a genie actually, doing what he does best, playing the master storyteller with his trademark folksy tunes. Here, we can experience special treatments of such timeless charming hits like 'Jennifer Juniper', 'Colours', and 'Catch The Wind', as well as songs which were new at the time like 'Cosmetic Wheels', which was to be the title of his up-and-coming studio album, and 'People Call Me The Pied Piper', which he had sang in the children's movie 'The Pied Piper'.

Although the recording techniques weren't as advanced as they are today, and there are no fancy special effects to be seen in between the songs, this really is a lovely time piece of one of the 1960s most recognisable musical figures. The visual and sound quality on this release is very satisfying, and I am grateful that the footage survived so we can all see it again today, as it was originally broadcast. My only criticism is that it the whole thing went by too quickly due to it's short length, but as this was a made for television concert, that was only to be expected, and can't be helped.
on 27 December 2013
I remember watching this broadcast on the BBC live when it was first shown. The quality is amazing and it was a delight to watch it again. Okay, I'm a fan of Donovan, but if you are like me then this is for you!
on 17 September 2014
This performance was taken from the marvellous 'In Concert' series that ran on BBC2 here in the UK in the late sixties and early seventies.

Other reviews here wish for more than the 30 minutes of transmitted programme - well good news, some very kind soul has posted a 47 minute version on Youtube including some footage that had hit the editing room floor.

If you locate this gem you will find interesting works in progress for the then forthcoming 'Blue' album including a rather dark and bitter vocal arrangement to 'All I Want' - a song that was to become more upbeat and celebratory in it's commercial life.

Joni has been there all my adult life since the early seventies - for me each album was like receiving a postcard home from a travelling friend you never quite get to hook up with.

I envy all you people out there who are yet to discover her for the first time.
on 3 June 2014
Clearly any musician with a talent like Joni Mitchell's could have performed all night. Apart for the fact she's been the most prolific writer of some of the best songs ever written (even at the time of this early concert) we are treated to too few of her gems. Opening with such a classic as Chelsea Morning sets a high expectation that in the end was not met by way only of duration.
Her dulcimer on California has to be seen to be believed. Naturally her guitar work, so unique, is to kill for and her My Old Man on the piano just proves her undeniable genius.
But then there is "the" voice. God sent. Both Sides now is the perfect closer.
Wish it was ten time as long. Quality is great.
on 26 November 2014
A quirky collection of songs some of which I had not heard before but had me in stitches. loved it
on 14 May 2015
ah Joni - what can you say - Brilliant!
on 18 November 2014
a different approach by a seasoned poet
on 23 June 2013
Joni Mitchell, a star who has shone brightly for decades, who's songs take one on a journey through life, excellent.
on 17 January 2015