4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best.
Choice of an Air Rower (over hyraulic, magnetic or water types) narrowed it to V-fit. From experience of an hydraulic type, in my opinion the rowing action is realistic. And now, in my eighties, I'm content with a machine having no way of increasing the rowing resistance by mechanical adjustment. One has to develop a speed of workout to suit.

At my age it's...
Published on 19 Nov 2012 by H. Brian Warburton

2.0 out of 5 stars Very noisy after first few months, otherwise good
Published on 2 July 2010 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best., 19 Nov 2012
This review is from: V-Fit Tornado Air Rower (Sports)

At my age it's still possible to improve fitness, but slowly. I bought the machine 8 weeks ago and have been working gently. You're supposed to do a warm-up for some minutes consisting mainly of extending limbs and stretching. Then I've been doing twenty mins rowing at between 24 and 30 strokes per min. The "distance" covered is 4 furlongs (or is it Kms). I'm well aware that the number of beats per minute (for age 60) is given to be over one hundred. After finishing a work-out, you're supposed to do a "cool down" but I usually go back to bed. I'm not remotely in the fitness league; so a 20 min workout can easily take a whole hour. I'm doing it not for muscular dev. but cardio-vasc. I would like to work on my abdominals to reduce the stomach paunch but this would need being able to lean backwards at the extreme of each rowing stroke. However I'm a long way off that.

As regards appraisal, I'm 99% satisfied with the machine. Be aware that the floor space needed is quite a lot (7 x 3 feet). It does fold in half but this function is not quite perfect. I think that you need a small fibre or leather strap to hold the two main parts together in the folded position. A couple of accessories have fallen off it ( Item 73, the plastic main rail end-cap) and another small cap which I can't say what it is. Also I've never understood the function of the magnetic bracket on the seat (Item 91).

The purchase is a bargain Amazon can provide since they don't pay corporation tax.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 8 Mar 2009
T. Davies - See all my reviews
This review is from: V-Fit Tornado Air Rower (Sports)
A good product, well made, comfortable to use and very good value. Not quite as much resistance on the rowing stroke as I would have expected but still gives a good work-out. Would have given 5 stars but no assembly instructions came with the machine so I had to get them off the internet and print them out.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very noisy after first few months, otherwise good, 2 July 2010
This review is from: V-Fit Tornado Air Rower (Sports)
I would have rated this 4* (especially in first few months of use) if not for the unbearable noise which only loud music through headphones can counter. This started after a few months of use. The mechanism is bicycle chain connected to cloth tape connected to rubber band via metal hooks. I have bandaged the metal hooks but the noise restarts after a while. The seat is also noisy. otherwsie the motion is smooth and resistance good.
How could such a good product be spoiled by poor / cheap design of the mechanicals!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant rower but instructions could be better, 2 May 2009
This review is from: V-Fit Tornado Air Rower (Sports)
I bought this a few weeks ago and so far it has been quite brilliant. The order was shipped within a few days which is impressive considering it came from the other side of the country. The assembly was quite easy although the instruction manual could be better and on mine the chain was unhooked (5 minute fix). Since assembling it i have had done several thousand rows on it and it continues to be a pleasure to do so. One thing to note is that on this rower you do not feel much air blow at you at all but this is actually better as it increases weight loss. Also make sure you follow a proper technique or you will get lower back pain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good if you're tall (provided you...), 30 Nov 2012
T. Copping (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V-Fit Tornado Air Rower (Sports)
I'm 6'5", and this rower has been fine for me, once I removed a seemingly pointless nut and bolt near the back of the main shaft (visible on the picture, about 15cm in from the back of it) that the seat otherwise banged against each time I pushed back. (By the way, I know that 'removing a nut and bolt' seems pretty dumb advice, but it really doesn't have a purpose- it's not actually holding 2 bits together or anything.)

Anyway, I've had it for 6 months, it's still good, it's my first rower so I'm not sure how the noise compares to others (but I wasn't expecting it to be quiet!), and it's helped get me fit, which is what really counts.

If you're gonna spend this kind of money though, I would definitely recommend you also spend a little on some noise reduction headphones to listen to an ipod/watch a dvd while you use it, as it's so loud that you'd need very understanding neighbours if you intend to turn TV up loud enough to hear it over the rower!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 23 Mar 2009
This review is from: V-Fit Tornado Air Rower (Sports)
I've had this rower for 3.5 weeks now, managed to do over 20,000 strokes at a consistent high intensity and the machine still continues to perform. Ok it's not as strong as a gym piece of equipment, but I'm 98kg (15.5 stone!) and can push out a 1,000 strokes in 23 minutes but the Tornado manages my weight and power.

Believe me a 1,000 strokes at any rate is tough, which bring me on to my second point - resistance. Again unlike gym equipment there is no settable resistance level - but yet again the Tornado performs. Like most things you only get out what you put in, and if you put in the effort on this rower it will resist you back.

A minor downside, which is compensated for, is the fact that there is no distance counter. Personally I like to know I've rowed 4,000m but this is not a function on the trip computer. I am learning to pace myself by the number of strokes per minute that the computer counts and once I got over the distance thing aiming for 1,000+ strokes does the job.

Would I recommend a Tornado Air Rower to a friend - Yes
Am I satisfied with my purchase - Yes
Would I buy another - not for a long time, I think this one will last.

P.s.
Delivery - I was quoted something like 3 weeks - it turned up within a week.

And finally - unlike a previous review - the rower cam well packaged with all the instructions, bolt and tools to do the job. My impression of the packaging and assembly was that it was all much much better than I expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Home Fitness Machine, 6 April 2009
This review is from: V-Fit Tornado Air Rower (Sports)
I am not normally one for leaving reviews, but as the product is so well made and works fantastically, here goes.
As can be seen in the pictures it looks very similar to a Concept II rower and in all fairness is feels more or less the same sort of build quality in respect to the price. It was easy to build, folds up and has wheels to wheel it away for storage.

The automatic tension level thing is the only slight annoyance, the harder you pull the harder the resistence or the faster you pull etc and I did know this before purchase.

The only minus point is the digital readout as the calorie counter doesnt seem to be accurate at all.

Hope this may help somebody.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good gym-quality product, 19 April 2009
Mr. J. Evans (Devon, S.W. England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V-Fit Tornado Air Rower (Sports)
This rowing machine is as good as those found in most professional gyms. Simple to assemble and straightforward to use. Unfortunately, as with all exercise equipment, you do have to use it to get any benefit. I have no qualms about recommending this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Design, 31 Oct 2009
Mr. E. SMITH "back2thesource" (Wilts, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V-Fit Tornado Air Rower (Sports)
Was very easy to assemble. clear and basic instructions, withing minutes I was ready to use this machine. And oh dear!
The resistance was near non existent and the noise was terrible. On inspection i found that the main cord and clip that is in motion when using the machine, was clashing with some internal bolts that were already pre-fixed.
I noticed this when assembling the machine and double checked the instructions. I didn't think that it would be designed so bad and continued with the assembly.
But it was after rowing for five mins it was clear that it should not be making this noise. I spent the next 2 hours going over the design, instructions and trying to use some tape to cover the bolts and screws that were clashing with the cord. But after further rowing it was clear to see that it would not be long before significant fraying and damage would occur.
After wasting my morning with this machine I am now sending it back for a refund.

However Amazon were great in the fact that it was delivered really fast.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: V-Fit Tornado Air Rower (Sports)
I bought this for a Christmas present for my boyfriend though I also use it. Delivery was right on time, it was easy enough to assemble (though perhaps the guide could be a bit clearer) and so far it works well. My boyfriend is quite tall (over 6 ft) but this machine works for him no problem. The counter is perhaps not the most accurate but we are only using it for light exercise for ourselves so aren't too fussed, and the only other issue is that it does slip as you row (I'm sure a non-slip mat underneath it would probably solve the problem). But considering everything, it is a good product with a reasonable price and we're happy with it. I would recommend it to others.

V-Fit Tornado Air Rower