Format: Audio CDChange

on 5 November 2009
Okay so towards the end AWB headed down the disco path which lead them away from what many saw as their true soul approach, however it is hard to find a soul artist who at this time did not go the same way. Disco had a short life but was ubiquitous, even the Rolling Stone were influenced with Miss You (featured on Some Girls)being their biggest single of that era. So it was inevitable that AWB also followed this trend, I for one was disappointed that they did not retain a stronger jazz element that was there in their very early work but I do recognise why they took the direction they did, and they produced some cracking albums along the way.

Within the changing stylistic context that these albums were recorded this represents a very strong finish for a fine band. For a band that formed in the unlikely setting of Dundee (albeit in a tremendously creative cultural melting pot of Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art), AWB travelled a long way. This band had quite a strong influence on a number of 80s bands sounds who are the current retro flavour of the month and style followers could do a lot worse than starting with this bands music.

My recommendation is to start with the bookends of this album and Show Your Hand & How Sweet Can You Get & Average White Band. You should then check out The Collection Vol.2: Cut the Cake/Soul Searching/Benny and Us andPerson to Person,Warmer Communications

This is all great stuff, in a smooth soul way and although I like a lot of other types of music that is more challenging (e.g. Trout Mask Replica &Third) or back to basics (e.g. De Stijl &I Started Out With Nothin And I Still Got Most Of It Left)I still feel that this music demands its place in my collection. Don't be afraid of music that is different, variety is interesting, you are not being asked to sign up to any philosophical or political ideology other than to be open to difference and tolerance is something we all need to hold on to right now.
on 11 May 2009
great package and great grooves... hamish and co are at their best, great album to play when the sun shines and all is well with you, buy with confidence...
on 12 March 2013
I bought this as a gift for my partner and he was over the moon with it, it has a bit of evrything for everyone, he actually wanted Shine, so the other 3 albums on the cd's are a bonus. If you are a AWB fan, this is a must have for your collection!
on 13 August 2014
Listening to it again now as write this takes me back to when music was music super from start to finish on Cd 2 fast delivery too Thank You
on 14 August 2014
One of my guilty pleasures, a welcome addition to my music library
on 12 September 2009
I first enjoyed AWB back as a student in the late 1970s. Had the "White" album. Re-bought it as a CD. Began listening again to it. Recently realised just how tight, smooth and soulful they really were. Noticed for the first time the complexity of the music, especially the vocal interplays between the two lead vocalists. So I decided to get some of their back catalogue, hence my purchase of this 2 disc, 3.5 album (?) collection. The first few tracks are up to standard. I love the rhythm of the opener, and Atlantic Avenue, whilst simple, is evocative. Then from track 8 it's all downhill. Even the extensive sleeve notes seem to suggest the last album in particular is naff. It's nothing more than 70s-80s disco trash with no soul and no style. Shame. Maybe we had better just accept that all things must pass and AWB peaked around 1976.
on 19 August 2014