5.0 out of 5 stars Mary Poppins; practically perfect in every way.
This is one of those films that has stood the test of time and is still entertaining now as it was 40 years ago. Everyone knows the tale of the magical nanny that blows in on the east wind and into the lives of the Banks family of 17 Cherry Tree Lane. Jane and Michael Banks have had a succession of strict nannies as well as a very strict father and a mother who is always...
Published on 23 April 2005 by Ms. H. Sinton

3.0 out of 5 stars MARY POPPINS, WHERE IS YOUR HIGH DEFINITION?
Today I received the Blu-ray of "Mary Poppins", and I ran to watch it with great interest (on my Panna 65VT50b), and when the movie ended my expectation has become a big frustration. I'll explain in a few words. I gave 4 stars for sound and 5 stars for the movie, but for the quality of the restored Blu-ray picture, honestly, it is equal or lower than my excellent DVD. I...
Published 2 months ago by WALTER BRAZIL

‹ Previous | 116 17 1821 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, 11 Feb 2011
A. G. Lamas (Santiago de Compostela, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mary Poppins [DVD] [1964] (DVD)
As many have already said, Mary Poppins is practically perfect in every way. I used to watch it with my greatgrandmother, humming the tunes before I could even speak. Nevertheless, watching it again as an adult, I realised how people new to the movie might find it lacking in certains aspects we've come to take for granted (say, visual effects, animation, scenery, location, Dick Van Dyke's accent). Those are minor failures here. For those of us who grew up with movie, who'd watch it again and again, there's never been any better St. Paul's on film than the on the background of "Feed the birds", nor has there ever been any lushier animation than that of "Jolly Holiday". As Mr. Banks would put it: "With tuppence of paper and string, you can have your own set of wings". We don't need expensive 3D in order to fly. It's all here. If you dive into it with an open mind and a child's heart, you'll have the time of your life. Proof? My grandma didn't speak a single word of English. She always laughed at the right times. That's Mary's magic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece for everyone, 24 Jan 2011
This review is from: Mary Poppins [DVD] [1964] (DVD)
This brilliant film has something for everyone. Great songs, dancing and animation for the children, but also a much deeper story of a neglectful father who recognizes his folly just in time.

Many of the songs are classics, from the uplifting 'Fly A Kite' to the poignant 'Feed The Birds'. Dick Van Dyke's dancing is also a revelation. He more than holds his own against world class dancers, particularly on the rooftops in 'Step In Time', surely one of the greatest movie dance sequences ever. It's a shame his poor attempt at a cockney accent is less convincing.

The two child actors are excellent, as is Julie Andrews, but the standout performance is David Tomlinson as the repressed, anally retentive Mr Banks. He has many outstanding moments, but the best is possibly towards the end of the film when, as he is being sacked by Mr Dawes, he finally realizes Mary Poppins was right all along.

If you haven't seen the film, you must. If you have, than perhaps this little review has highlighted a few things to look out for when you watch it again, which you surely will.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 10 Dec 2010
This review is from: Mary Poppins [DVD] [1964] (DVD)
Mary Poppins is still as fun to watch now as it was when I was a small child. Even my kids were amazed by the singing and dancing so I think the film will never loose its enjoyment

5.0 out of 5 stars dvd, 2 July 2009
I love Mary Poppins! The kids are getting in to it too but it is a bit of a long film. Still a classic though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 1 Feb 2009
Ms. Kay Fenton (East Sussex) - See all my reviews
What a classic! Soooo much better than the old VHS version. Bought for a 55yr old chap who LOVED it!

5.0 out of 5 stars SuperWonderfullcalifragilisticExtraordinary, 16 April 2006
C. V. Vieira "Disney Expert" (Portugal) - See all my reviews
I love Disney filmas a lot. Well I have Disney in all my veins. Mary Poppins is a wonderful film. Well written, well acting, adn animated as well. The songas are among the best of Disney. What can I say more... Buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Childrens Film, 4 Sep 2010
M. Austin (East Anglia, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mary Poppins [DVD] [1964] (DVD)
I remember loving watching Mary Poppins as a child, so brought this for my 4 year old daughter. She has really enjoyed watching it and singing and dancing along with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best laid plans..., 5 Feb 2009
Kevin Fitzmaurice (London W10) - See all my reviews
Our 21 month old daughter sat glued to Mary Poppins on TV over Christmas. As any parent would we thought 'Hooray - a DVD we can all enjoy - let's get it now and she'll be weaned off Peppa Pig for ever'.

This is, after all, the most wonderful and magical family film ever. Julie Andrews somehow JUST stays the right side of sacharin and Dick Van Dyke's accent is enough to bring a smile to the face of even the most exhausted parent. And it's a subversive tale in 'credit crunch' times in which the children, led on by Mary, show their banker Dad that money is not the source of all happiness and lead him towards true enlightenment (or something like that). And every few minutes there's a lovely tune to sing along to too.

Well, the best laid plans don't always work. On loading the DVD our little angel watched two minutes before chanting 'Charlie and Lola' repeatedly until the DVD was changed and we were returned to toddler TV-land. Now, whenever we say 'Mary Poppins' she immediately responds 'I DON'T THINK SO' and we have to wait until she's asleep before we can enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars mary poppins, 2 April 2009
This review is from: Mary Poppins [DVD] [1964] (DVD)
you can't go wrong if you want a feel good film for the whole family

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but not extravagant 50th anniversary Edition, 20 Nov 2013
It's great to have Mary Poppins on Blu-Ray. And i was excited about this edition but I must say. Better Work Next time, Disney. No Sleeve for the Blu Ray and just 1 disc. Most of the extra material is already on the previous DVD editions.But the movie looks great and the extras is still very good so therefore the 4 stars.

‹ Previous | 116 17 1821 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xadb8b684)

Mary Poppins [DVD] [1964]
Mary Poppins [DVD] [1964] by Robert Stevenson (DVD - 2009)
14.95