Shop now Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now

Merlin - Complete Series 1 Box Set [DVD]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£22.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 7 October 2009
The thing about Merlin, is that it's not a flawless show. There are times when I think it could have pushed the boat out a bit more in terms of storyline and characterisation. But the thing is... I love this show. In fact, I'm verging on teen-obsessed on it, and I am not a teen anymore.

So why do I love it? For the one thing, I find the actors captivating. Merlin definitely wins the charm award, and comes across as a mixture of Frodo (the good parts), Harry Potter (the initial innocence part) and Clark Kent from Smallville (the hero part). He's not arrogant, or self-righteous. In fact, he plays his role as a young Merlin, wonderfully. I couldn't have asked for better. Arthur is the opposite to Merlin. He's arrogant and brattish, but I can't help but *love* that about him. His child-like manner (and humour) makes him extremely likeable. Too likeable. They've taken a gamble with Gwen in terms of status (here, she is a servant), and I know some people will raise eyebrows over her race (but I hope people are sophisticated enough not to care. The actress does a brilliant job, and that's all that matters) but the gamble pays off, and Gwen comes across as an extremeably likeable heroine.

Other characters such as Morgana, Gaius and Uther comes cross well, although there isn't nearly enough screentime with them. It is a bit strange seeing Anthony Head as a mean king, and not a stuffy librarian, and he does come across well, although sometimes I wish he were more dynamic in that role (maybe the fault of the script rather than him).

There's usually a baddie-of the week plot line (featuring some familiar faces. Dr Bashir from Deep Space Nine, anybody?). And for now, that works well. What I like most, is the interaction between Arthur and Merlin. At first, they do not like each other, but a friendship starts to grow. And I can never resist a story that focuses a lot about friendship (because aside from things like love and money, it's one of the things that keeps us going). The special effects aren't terrific. But the budget isn't exactly high, so that is expected.

I love the humour of the show, and the very British feel of it. It's very homely, and makes well for weekend viewing with the family, and it's something I would recommend. Obviously, purists are going to have a problem with this show. So those of you who are a stickler for facts and accuracy: stay clear. Others: good on you for your laid-back approach!

Packaging- The dvd comes in the box as shown above (the brown book-like case). It is made of cardboard and I fear it will break sooner rather than later. Aesthetically, it is pleasing, and it opens up like a book with facts inside the cover. I just wish it were more sturdy. It encases the two dvd parts, so for those who bought the two parts separately, I don't think you're missing out on much.

Features- Behind the Magic parts 1 and 2, The Black Knight Featurette, Cast Video Diaries, Commentaries, Wallpapper and photo galleries.

Subtitles- I'm sorry people, but this only seems to have English subtitles.

Overall- this is a round-about good show. Room for improvement, but definitely a delight.
on 12 October 2010
I'll be brief. Merlin is a great series in every way. It's a kind of wonderful fun you love to watch over and over again. From production values to stories, characters and acting, this is pure gem! And the DVD box set is just beautifully made, a bit tricky to open, but when you get inside, your jaw drops at the choice of design and pictures! I think this is the most beautiful box set I've ever bought!

I'm not a kid, I'm in my thirties, and yet I'm completely under Merlin's spell. From what's inside to what's printed outside, I recommend this box set with all my heart!
on 10 February 2010
This is by far one of the best TV series I have seen in a very long time. It quickly draws you into the relationship between Merlin and Arthur. You begin to see how one person can influence another for good over the long haul (and Arthur needs it)! The relationship between Merlin and Gaius is also delightful to watch. These three actors are phenomenal and certainly carry the show. The sets are amazingly authentic...you feel like you are right there in the middle of it all. For a TV show it is certainly beyond what I have come to expect and is great family entertainment (except for young children due to some scary themes/scenes).
on 1 August 2010
when i watched this series on TV, i was excited and addicted.
actually i didn't know much about the legend of King Arthur.
since then i was really interested in it, however this isn't the real legend.
and also some of actors are new comers and they are great, i think.
i recommend this for from children to adults, people of all ages.
on 3 January 2010
Yes, it's simple, but it's fun and every episode makes me laugh. Bring on the Colin-Bradley double act... All 13 episodes in one place, some comedy audio commentaries and a number of laugh-out-loud moments on the video diaries. Good effort with the packaging - makes it a special gift for a mini. Thoroughly recommended.
on 16 November 2009
This is a wonderful adaptation of the famous Arthurian legend. They have taken it to a new level and transformed it into this TV series which is full of good special effects, great story lines and funny comedic scenes. I know there are some of us who don't like our favorite stories being changed but for those who do, I think you may find this series worthwhile.

They have made a few changes to the original story, like for example, the title character, Merlin, is portrayed in his younger years, around the same age as Arthur Pendragon (wheres in the legend, he is portrayed as an very old sorcerer.) They also added a character that is completely original to the series, the Great Dragon who is voiced by a great actor, John Hurt.

In my opinion, the chemistry between the main characters is fantastic. I love the relationship between Merlin and Arthur, their friendship is characterized with insults and playing tricks on each other, though there is a good bond between them.

For all fans and those who like Merlin and you want to get the whole first series, this is a great product for you to buy. All those who are not too keen, well, you don't have to.
on 29 December 2009
I had never watched Merlin before then one night I tuned in by mistake and found myself hooked! So I immediately went on to Amazon and ordered myself the box set. I then spent a number of hours watching it and I loved every second of Merlin magic! Beautifully acted, I think we have found two bright sparks in the talented Colin Morgan (Merlin) and Bradley James (Prince Arthur). I think they have very promising futures.

The presentation of this product is very appealing and appropriate to the series. The special features are very good and the cast video diaries are hilarious! All in all this is a great product and I would recommend this to ANYONE!
on 15 August 2012
I stared to watch Merlin from the very first episode and have been hooked ever since.
I finally decided that I should buy the series
This box set came with the cover as shown and the two sets of DVD cases are really pretty
inside each case is 3 disks each have a character from the show. When you take the disks out you can see a scene from the show.
The show its self is entertaining with Merlin and his witty humour toword Arthur and the friendship that grows as the series progresses
I think that this series is a must have. No home collection is complete without it.
on 29 October 2011
I was a bit sceptical at first when I gave Merlin a try... and I was won over within the first episode and have remained a fan ever since. The comedy is brilliant and heart-felt, and all the actors - some just starting out - are very talented. I love to be able to see young talent grow, and the eye candy doesn't hurt either.
In an interview Bradley James and Colin Morgan said that the show "butchered" the legends, which is sort-of true, but there is no canon anyway. All of the Arthurian legend is a cocktail of various sources, and this show gives it a nice spin.
The series was still finding its footing within this first series, and I have already watched the others available and can only say, it's evolving into one of those tv serials I will love for all time.
Most of all, all of the main characters - Merlin, Arthur, Gaius, Gwen, etc - are played by immensely likeable actors. One just falls in love with them! The special effects are nicely done and the guest stars are a joy to watch!
All in all - a great show with a lot of heart (and you need the odd tissue, too!)
on 8 November 2011
I absolutely love Merlin! Its become one of my favorite TV series of all time. The characters are SO likeable and I love the storyline and how it incorporates the Arthurian legend. Its perfect to watch if you wan't something deep but light hearted at the same time! Great plot, characters and has great depth to the story. I think its perfect for all ages!

The development of the characters and storyline is great- you really get a feel of the direction of the overall plot and get to know the characters really well. I think the BBC have done a great job with Merlin, the style of filming is excellent - great quality well-made production, good special effects and superb acting! There's always a good balance between fun/humour and serious storyline in each episode, and I think the scriptwriters and producers have done a good job! Each episode has been so much fun to watch - I even play it on the background when I'm working (its a great de-stresser!) I can't recommend this series enough and love it to bits :) I'm sure you will too! Please keep making more, BBC!