4.0 out of 5 stars A little bit of magic goes a long way
The thing about Merlin, is that it's not a flawless show. There are times when I think it could have pushed the boat out a bit more in terms of storyline and characterisation. But the thing is... I love this show. In fact, I'm verging on teen-obsessed on it, and I am not a teen anymore.

So why do I love it? For the one thing, I find the actors captivating...
Published on 7 Oct 2009 by Lhara

3.0 out of 5 stars Merlin - Really?
This reveiw is from having watched the whole series on TV. As such I cannot comment on the boxed sets.

Okay, so i'll admit that I really did quite like this series, for what it was. It was light-hearted (until the final two episodes of the final series, at least)and inoffensive - quite a rarity on TV these days. It was also nothing like the original...
Published 18 months ago by Jeremiah

4.0 out of 5 stars A little bit of magic goes a long way, 7 Oct 2009
This review is from: Merlin - Complete Series 1 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)

So why do I love it? For the one thing, I find the actors captivating. Merlin definitely wins the charm award, and comes across as a mixture of Frodo (the good parts), Harry Potter (the initial innocence part) and Clark Kent from Smallville (the hero part). He's not arrogant, or self-righteous. In fact, he plays his role as a young Merlin, wonderfully. I couldn't have asked for better. Arthur is the opposite to Merlin. He's arrogant and brattish, but I can't help but *love* that about him. His child-like manner (and humour) makes him extremely likeable. Too likeable. They've taken a gamble with Gwen in terms of status (here, she is a servant), and I know some people will raise eyebrows over her race (but I hope people are sophisticated enough not to care. The actress does a brilliant job, and that's all that matters) but the gamble pays off, and Gwen comes across as an extremeably likeable heroine.

Other characters such as Morgana, Gaius and Uther comes cross well, although there isn't nearly enough screentime with them. It is a bit strange seeing Anthony Head as a mean king, and not a stuffy librarian, and he does come across well, although sometimes I wish he were more dynamic in that role (maybe the fault of the script rather than him).

There's usually a baddie-of the week plot line (featuring some familiar faces. Dr Bashir from Deep Space Nine, anybody?). And for now, that works well. What I like most, is the interaction between Arthur and Merlin. At first, they do not like each other, but a friendship starts to grow. And I can never resist a story that focuses a lot about friendship (because aside from things like love and money, it's one of the things that keeps us going). The special effects aren't terrific. But the budget isn't exactly high, so that is expected.

I love the humour of the show, and the very British feel of it. It's very homely, and makes well for weekend viewing with the family, and it's something I would recommend. Obviously, purists are going to have a problem with this show. So those of you who are a stickler for facts and accuracy: stay clear. Others: good on you for your laid-back approach!

Packaging- The dvd comes in the box as shown above (the brown book-like case). It is made of cardboard and I fear it will break sooner rather than later. Aesthetically, it is pleasing, and it opens up like a book with facts inside the cover. I just wish it were more sturdy. It encases the two dvd parts, so for those who bought the two parts separately, I don't think you're missing out on much.

Features- Behind the Magic parts 1 and 2, The Black Knight Featurette, Cast Video Diaries, Commentaries, Wallpapper and photo galleries.

Subtitles- I'm sorry people, but this only seems to have English subtitles.

Overall- this is a round-about good show. Room for improvement, but definitely a delight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent in every way!, 12 Oct 2010
This review is from: Merlin - Complete Series 1 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
I'll be brief. Merlin is a great series in every way. It's a kind of wonderful fun you love to watch over and over again. From production values to stories, characters and acting, this is pure gem! And the DVD box set is just beautifully made, a bit tricky to open, but when you get inside, your jaw drops at the choice of design and pictures! I think this is the most beautiful box set I've ever bought!

I'm not a kid, I'm in my thirties, and yet I'm completely under Merlin's spell. From what's inside to what's printed outside, I recommend this box set with all my heart!

5.0 out of 5 stars this drama is hard-to-quit!, 1 Aug 2010
This review is from: Merlin - Complete Series 1 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
when i watched this series on TV, i was excited and addicted.
actually i didn't know much about the legend of King Arthur.
since then i was really interested in it, however this isn't the real legend.
and also some of actors are new comers and they are great, i think.
i recommend this for from children to adults, people of all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story line, set and character development!, 10 Feb 2010
This review is from: Merlin - Complete Series 1 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
This is by far one of the best TV series I have seen in a very long time. It quickly draws you into the relationship between Merlin and Arthur. You begin to see how one person can influence another for good over the long haul (and Arthur needs it)! The relationship between Merlin and Gaius is also delightful to watch. These three actors are phenomenal and certainly carry the show. The sets are amazingly authentic...you feel like you are right there in the middle of it all. For a TV show it is certainly beyond what I have come to expect and is great family entertainment (except for young children due to some scary themes/scenes).

5.0 out of 5 stars Big smile of satisfaction, 3 Jan 2010
This review is from: Merlin - Complete Series 1 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
Yes, it's simple, but it's fun and every episode makes me laugh. Bring on the Colin-Bradley double act... All 13 episodes in one place, some comedy audio commentaries and a number of laugh-out-loud moments on the video diaries. Good effort with the packaging - makes it a special gift for a mini. Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful! A breath of fresh air to english television!, 29 Dec 2009
Ian Wilson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merlin - Complete Series 1 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
I had never watched Merlin before then one night I tuned in by mistake and found myself hooked! So I immediately went on to Amazon and ordered myself the box set. I then spent a number of hours watching it and I loved every second of Merlin magic! Beautifully acted, I think we have found two bright sparks in the talented Colin Morgan (Merlin) and Bradley James (Prince Arthur). I think they have very promising futures.

The presentation of this product is very appealing and appropriate to the series. The special features are very good and the cast video diaries are hilarious! All in all this is a great product and I would recommend this to ANYONE!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sorcerer is Back!, 16 Nov 2009
This review is from: Merlin - Complete Series 1 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
This is a wonderful adaptation of the famous Arthurian legend. They have taken it to a new level and transformed it into this TV series which is full of good special effects, great story lines and funny comedic scenes. I know there are some of us who don't like our favorite stories being changed but for those who do, I think you may find this series worthwhile.

They have made a few changes to the original story, like for example, the title character, Merlin, is portrayed in his younger years, around the same age as Arthur Pendragon (wheres in the legend, he is portrayed as an very old sorcerer.) They also added a character that is completely original to the series, the Great Dragon who is voiced by a great actor, John Hurt.

In my opinion, the chemistry between the main characters is fantastic. I love the relationship between Merlin and Arthur, their friendship is characterized with insults and playing tricks on each other, though there is a good bond between them.

For all fans and those who like Merlin and you want to get the whole first series, this is a great product for you to buy. All those who are not too keen, well, you don't have to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Merlin has me in a trance, 15 Aug 2012
This review is from: Merlin - Complete Series 1 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
I stared to watch Merlin from the very first episode and have been hooked ever since.
I finally decided that I should buy the series
This box set came with the cover as shown and the two sets of DVD cases are really pretty
inside each case is 3 disks each have a character from the show. When you take the disks out you can see a scene from the show.
The show its self is entertaining with Merlin and his witty humour toword Arthur and the friendship that grows as the series progresses
I think that this series is a must have. No home collection is complete without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars merlin, 17 Nov 2009
TD (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merlin - Complete Series 1 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent series didn't catch this on the TV. Great family entertainment for 5 year old, 9 year old and 2 significantly older. Can't wait for the second series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic show with something for everyone, 4 Nov 2009
This review is from: Merlin - Complete Series 1 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
Merlin is a wonderful show that pulls off that very difficult trick - broad appeal without dumbing down.

There is a lot here for younger viewers to enjoy:

- young leads they can identify with
- exciting storylines
- adventure, sword fights, jousting, magic and dragons
- a lot of humour

But this is much more than a children's adventure show. Its main strength, and where its wider appeal lies, is in the rich characterisation of the lead roles, and their relationships with each other. In particular the story of Merlin and Arthur's slowly developing friendship is a joy to watch. The 2 newcomers who play these roles are attractive, talented, and have a genuine onscreen chemistry that is the highlight of the show.

It also has that very rare beast, a character that cannot be easily pidgeon-holed as a 'goody' or a 'baddy'. The king of Camelot (Uther, played by Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Giles - Anthony Head) is a wonderfully complex creation. Much of the time he is the villain of the piece - ruthlessly pursuing and punishing anyone who practices magic. But he also loves his son (Arthur) and adopted daughter (Morgana) deeply, cares for his people, is brave and decisive, and is still in mourning for his beloved wife 20 years after her death. He shows his vulnerable side just often enough for you to kind of like him despite his faults.

If you are a purist about the Arthur legends then I would advise you to avert your eyes because it is more inspired by, than based on, the legend. This would annoy me if it involved rewriting actual historical events - but the Arthur legends are myth not fact, and have been rewritten numerous times over hundreds of years.

In this first series, presumably because of budget constraints, the special effects are not that special in places, although this is much improved in series 2. Also it was clear on occasion that the writers were still finding their feet. However there is so much to enjoy here that these minor gripes don't detract.

Merlin has been deservedly a worldwide success. It has sold in pretty much every territory, and was the first British show to air on American network television for over 30 years. I heartily recommend it.

Merlin - Complete Series 1 Box Set [DVD]
Merlin - Complete Series 1 Box Set [DVD] by David Moore (DVD - 2009)
11.39