4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Introduction

3.0 out of 5 stars A useful book for the beginner book-seller
Published on 2 Feb 2009 by josie82

3.0 out of 5 stars A useful book for the beginner book-seller, 2 Feb 2009
josie82 (Fife, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This book is aimed at those people that would like to learn how best to sell books on the internet or for those that would like to increase their online sales. Despite being only 158 pages long, it does cover a lot of topics including: where to find books, what books to buy, where to sell books, grading and pricing, service, fulfilment, collectible books, automation and a few others.

The first thing to note is that this book is American and so much of the specific advice is of little use to anyone based in Britain. Having said that, generally his ideas are useful so long as you are willing to search for British versions of the things he suggests. E.g. he lists the places where you can go to purchase books that have been seized by US customs. While not of much use to British booksellers, it does give you the idea of searching online to find out if HMRC does a similar thing. Unfortunately there are some sections that are just too country-specific to provide much help including the online postage, taxes and legal chapters.

The book covers many topics and doesn't go into great depth on any. While this may be a little bit of an annoyance to some, it does stop the book from becoming too heavy and allows you to follow up on the information/advice that you are particularly interested in without having to read through the bits you are not. Overall the style is easy to read and I felt like I actually retained a lot of the information I was reading!

Another thing to note is that the book was written in 2006 and as a result, some of the information (especially with regards to websites and payable fees) is out of date. However, it does give you an idea of how much you are likely to pay for things (once you've done the necessary conversions!)

Overall, this book would be much more suited to someone selling in America. Having said that, it does give you some useful information and definitely enough to get you started and to get the ball rolling. As a result, I would still recommend this book to new and prospective book-sellers. 3 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Introduction, 23 Mar 2006
A. Ross (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
As someone who's sold a few hundred books on Amazon over the years, I was curious to see what a real expert has to say -- especially as I'm about to embark on liquidating a relative's 3,000-volume collection! Overall, this is a great little introduction for anyone who's thought about selling books online. Weber covers all the bases succinctly, with plenty of URLs and references to more specialist titles for further reference. Lots of handy tips and suggestions throughout. The one quibble I would have is with the pricing discussion on page 51. In the case of a book where there are plenty of copies on the market, Weber advises matching, but not "lowballing" the price. However, the automation software elsewhere makes lowballing so easy, and thus to pervasive, that one is often forced into the practice. My own experience is that if I have a book for sale and there are 10 others just like it for sale at Amazon, the _only_ way to sell it is to give it the lowest price. And since we're talking $8.95 vs. $9.95, I'm not particularly put out. This quibble aside, I found this to be a very practical, level-headed guide, with lots of good resources -- although I would have liked a little more depth and detail on some of the sections.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Online Bookseller Should Read this Book!!!, 11 July 2008
I've been selling books on the Amazon Marketplace as a hobby for about 7 months now. After reading "The Home-Based Bookstore," I could definitely make more money by employing Steve Weber's advice.

His advice includes:
-where to find books
-how to price them
-how to handle inventory
-how to handle shipping
-how to deal with problem customers
-and how to deal with legal details (taxes, etc.)

I made about $400 in two weeks after selling the most sought-after books. The most sought-after books are usually college textbooks.

In one part of the book, he says how college students are sometimes careless when purchasing a book. They occasionally buy the older edition, thinking it's the edition they need. When they receive it, they get angry. But it's usually their fault for not searching with the ISBN or paying attention to the details. There are, however, some sellers who list the wrong edition on Amazon's Marketplace. It may not be intentional, but listing the wrong edition is a violation of the Amazon Marketplace guidelines. I once purchased a textbook from a third-party seller who sent me the older edition. I didn't do anything about it. I was still able to use it.

After a few weeks of selling, I started getting some feedback. The first five were all positive, but I got one neutral feedback. The neutral feedback I got was fair. I sent her the wrong book. It was my fault. I entered the title instead of the ISBN when I searched for it. ALWAYS use the ISBN. To prevent negative feedback from this buyer, I issued a refund immediately and allowed her to keep the book I had sent her. I lost money when I did this, but I couldn't afford negative feedback at the time.

I may never become a full-time bookseller online, but I will continue to do this as a hobby. I also think that college students should get a copy of this book. It will help them tremendously when purchasing their textbooks...and reselling them when they're done with them.

Brandon Simpson

4.0 out of 5 stars This Book Started Me Selling Online, 29 Jun 2010
Dave Kinsella "Jesus First" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This book started me selling books online. I have now branched out into other items, since being in Ireland it is even harder to make money selling on Amazon than it is in the UK.

I would recommend this book to anyone thinking about selling online, as Weber has been doing it for years and knows a lot of the pitfalls and pros and cons of the business. He will save you a lot of headaches if you follow his advice. unfortunately he writes for an American audience which means not all of the material is relevant for a European audience.

He gives you many options for selling online, not just Amazon which is nice. This is a book I turn to again and again for advice.

3.0 out of 5 stars For Franchise Buyers, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Home-Based Bookstore: Start Your Own Business Selling Used Books on Amazon, eBay or Your Own Web Site (Kindle Edition)
It was good and readable but It was for some one wanting to buy a franchise. But not for me

4.0 out of 5 stars Selling Books From Home., 29 July 2013
Martin Swift (Scotland. U. K.) - See all my reviews
I gave this book 4 stars...It is a good informative book on how to sell on-line used books selling business and while a lot of information is geared to the American Markets...the information it contains can be used in the UK and many parts of the EU.