Format: MP3 DownloadChange

on 28 August 2008
All right, I am a bit late off the mark with this review and, I have to be honest I only got this coz Tesco were flogging it cheap but I am glad I did. I put this in the cd player, sat back, and then jumped up for joy at the sheer energy that came from the speakers from this album. I am not saying it is wall to wall sunshine, but, nearly all of the tracks were upbeat and uplifting. A Sadness Runs Through Him was for me the only track that I did not really like that much, but that may just be me. This is Brit guitar pop at its best. It is funny that I picked this up at the same time as picking up The Clash singles album which was also going cheap too. Does that say anything, maybe, but I would urge you to at least give this a good listen and judge for yourself. An all round fine album.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The Hoosiers say this about themselves, "we want to be indie but we're not cool enough". Well, I don't know about cool, but 'The Trick To Life', like last year's album by The Feeling, is probably a little more steeped in classic 60s, 70s & 80s bands' influence for the indie tag to really stick. Instead bands such as Supertramp, E.L.O., Sparks and XTC come to mind when you listen to this English/Swedish trio's debut.

It could be argued that The Hoosiers cross a fine line between influence and wholesale borrowing of melodies/chord structures/sounds from different classic songs. The infectious 'Worried About Ray' borrows heavily from the verse of The Turtles' 'Happy Together', the energy-packed, bouncy, melodic 'Goodbye Mr. A' brings back more than echoes of E.L.O.'s 'Mr. Blue Sky' and, perhaps most unsubtle of all, 'Cops And Robbers' is very reminiscent of The Cure's 'Love Cats'. Perhaps that's why I like this album so much - they wear their influences on their sleeve and the music itself is very pleasing to the ears and the soul.

Not all of their very listenable debut is gold and they're probably at least three excellent songs short of replicating the success of The Feeling's monster hit album last year, but it is, without doubt, great to hear a band making such feelgood, pure pop/rock tracks which could probably appeal to music lovers of all ages and, of course, any album that has a handful of songs which can make a smile break out across your face is worth recognition.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 October 2010
This album really has something. I love the dark, comic book hero atmosphere it creates. The style of the music sounds very individual and somehow combines a tongue in cheek approach with some powerful, emotional content ('A Sadness Runs Through Him' especially). Quite a few of the pieces are written in minor keys and that is a good thing and works very well. There is no single track on this album that I don't like.

In my view this 1st album is 500% better than their second - I don't know why that is (but I hope there will be 3rd).

The music is very tight and well-performed/produced/recorded.

A great album. Buy without hesitation.
on 11 May 2008
When The Feeling came out they were just different enough from the current mainstream to make an impact; it's almost a shame The Hoosiers weren't signed first. To say the two are similar would be an understatement though it's something neither band is ashamed of. They both state similar artists as influences and both have a more than accidental tang of ELO about them, particularly here with Mr.A
So basically the albums enjoyable to listen to, pretty much all the songs are a good standard and extremely catchy and as a band Hoosiers may be slightly better than the Feeling with one or two songs. Definitely worth a listen.
on 23 October 2007
I have purchased this album and having listened to it fully on several occasions, I think its an excellent debut album from the Hoosiers. I also think they are a bit different to a lot of the music out at the moment although elements of their sound remind me of The Feeling's debut album in terms of the infectious pop/rock hooks provided.

The two released singles (Worried About Ray and Goodbye Mr. A) are both stand out tracks and are just great catchy pop songs. Album tracks such as Worst Case Scenario and Cops and Robbers along with the 2 singles demonstrate this new bands ability to produce uptempo and enjoyable music to lsiten to.

The band has a nice sound instrumentally and vocalist Irwin Sparkes has a voice which sounds great accompanied with the upbeat backing tracks. However he also shows a softer vocal approach on A Sadness Runs Though Him, Clinging On For Life and Money to Be Made - songs which mixed with the more upbeat offerings make for a enjoyable first album - I love it!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 October 2007
It is the truly wonderful and uplifting 'Goodbye Mr A' - their second and most recent single (at the time of writing) that made up my mind about taking a chance on this cd. I say chance, because these types of albums are very hit and miss. This comes in four different coloured artwork covers. I got the yellow one.

On first play, I was very pleasantly surprised. It was instant enjoyment - it hit home straight away. Their sound is like a cross between the Feeling and the Kooks or ELO and 10cc (depending on the decade) and has a lot of bouncy keyboard and bass playing on it, with plenty of hooks and melodies to enjoy. There are also more quirky influences on this, such as: The Cure and Sparks. So far, apart from the first two singles (including 'Worried About Ray'), I'm really enjoying 'Worst Case Scenario', 'Run Rabbit Run' and 'Cops And Robbers', but no doubt over time I'll have more favourites.

So to sum up, this is utterly charming stuff, that does exactly what it says on the tin, and judging by this album's healthy dose of infectious pop, there's definitely no need to worry about Ray anymore.
on 1 August 2008
After hearing "Worried About Ray" and "Goodbye Mr. A" I was quite excited about this album. I expected a bit of feel-good bouncy pop music, but those were easily the two best tracks. My high expectations probably contributed to my disappointment, but it wasn't a great album. Now I've listened to it a few times I'm not sure I'd even call it a good album. The singles have been overplayed, now when I hear those tracks I loved I have to change stations. It's an album I highly doubt I'll play for quite a long time.
on 28 September 2008
this is a cd i believe everyone should have. the songs are consistently good throughtout the whole cd. from songs like 'goodbye mr A', 'cops and robbers' and 'worried about ray' to the less celibrated songs like 'the trick to life', the worst case senario' and 'every thing goes dark'. Plus for under £5 an absolute bargain.
on 4 January 2011
I bought this album along with the Illusion Of Safety by the Hoosiers as well, both are fantastic CD's. This one has more of the bands older sort of sound, less electronics involved which gives it a nice warm sort of flavour. Still, classic Hoosiers with a great mixture of songs! Definately worth the buy!
on 2 March 2008
I mainly bought the album because i liked the singles they had realeased but to find that the songs left on the album were a bit disappointing compaired to their realeased songs i guess if i listen to the album more i might like it a bit better