4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
It's 1900 in New York, and scandal and gossip are never far behind.

Published on 8 April 2009 by TeensReadToo

3.0 out of 5 stars not as enjoyable as Rumors
Published on 17 Sept. 2010 by Rebecca

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 8 April 2009
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Envy (Luxe) (Hardcover)
It's 1900 in New York, and scandal and gossip are never far behind.

Elizabeth Holland is back and everyone is awaiting her re-entrance into society. But things are not as they seem in No. 17 Gramercy Park. Elizabeth and her sister, Diana, are both grieving the loss of their loved ones. When the sisters are invited along on a trip to Florida by the newly married Schoonmakers, they decide this is the perfect escape.

Penelope Schoonmaker isn't pleased to invite the woman her husband is in love with along on her trip, but she knows she must keep her enemies close if she's ever going to get what she wants.

Carolina Broad is climbing high in society, but her place is not secure and her newfound fame and fortune could disappear any moment.

I've been addicted to the LUXE series since it began, and ENVY continues to add more gossip and scandal to the story. I thought the twists and turns in ENVY moved the story along quicker than the previous two stories. I loved that the author moved a lot of the action to Florida - it added new scenery and lots of fun situations. There were many times I told myself "just one more chapter" because I needed to know what would happen next.

Each chapter tells a part of the story from a different character and I found myself enjoying each storyline this time around. Yes, I still wanted to yell at Penelope, would get annoyed at Carolina's social climbing, and tell Diana not to make so many assumptions, but I think that's part of the fun of the series.

Anna Godbersen does such a great job at getting the readers involved in the characters that you can't help but cheer them on, or even root against them. I also thought there were some characters this time around who got stronger and started to stand up for themselves, so I'm eager to see where they end up.

I will be first in line to get my hands on a copy of SPLENDOR, the next book in the LUXE series, when it's released.

Reviewed by: Sarah Bean the Green Bean Teen Queen

3.0 out of 5 stars not as enjoyable as Rumors, 17 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Envy: A Luxe novel (Paperback)
Envy is not as enjoyable as Rumors because I only obtained more hatred for Penny and Lina and more sorrowful for the Holland Family. When is this author going to bring things around? I believe this book could have been left out of the series. I'm ready for the end and final book. My patience for some of the characters is waning. By the way, I'm still trying to piece Penelope into the prologue of this book. Maybe Anna Godbersen gave a prologue to both Envy and Splendor. I'm ready for a break; Splendor comes out in late October and I'll read it this winter, but I'm not devastated to have to wait. I'm frustrated with Henry and Diana. Some of their choices seem irrational. For example, Henry's marriage to Penelope just didn't make sense. When Penelope threatened to ruin Diana's reputation, I didn't understand why Henry didn't threaten to ruin hers as well. I mean he took Penny's virginity too; what's the difference to him. Why not threaten her back instead of bid into her games. ugh, I was deeply annoyed by that, especially since Henry knows Penelope so well and has for many years. A little frustrating at times, but overall I've enjoyed the characters and story line of these books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Young Adult read!, 29 April 2012
This review is from: Envy: A Luxe novel (Paperback)
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
This is the third book in the `Luxe' series.
Warning: Unavoidable spoilers for the previous two books!

This books begins two months after `Rumors' ended, and Elizabeth Holland is in secret mourning for her husband Will who was killed by men who thought they were rescuing Elizabeth in `Rumors'. Obviously she blames herself for his death, and has not been seen in society.

Diana is also secretly mourning the loss of Henry to Penelope, who blackmailed Henry into marrying her by threatening to ruin Diana's reputation with the revelation that Diana and Henry slept together. Henry has continued to write to Diana to try to explain why he had to marry Penelope but she has been burning his letters.

Penelope and Henry are unhappily married. Henry refuses to sleep with his wife, much to her disbelief, and Penelope continues her scheming to try and get her own way.

This instalment sees the group heading to Florida for Henry's fishing trip that Penelope insists that she and several others are a part of, and this time Penelope employs her brother Greyson to try and defile Diana, hoping to sway Henry's interest back to her instead, although nothing seems to be working.

I loved this book, I've read the first two in the series - `The Luxe', and `Rumors' previously, and then re-read them prior to starting Envy, but this is the first time I had read Envy.

Once again there is tension throughout the whole book as you wonder who will end up with whom, and what Penelope's next scheme will be.

Poor Elizabeth once again finds herself to be a target whilst she secretly grieves, and has other problems that just leave her even more bereft. Once again I can't help but feel for her for both the way her life has turned out, and the difficult choices that she has had to make.

Henry is disgusted by Penelope, and hates the fact that he is married to her. He acts coolly towards her in public, and snubs her every night by refusing to sleep in the marital bed with her. His feelings for Diana are real and obvious, and you can tell how much he hates that he is living a lie with Penelope.

Diana is heartbroken over Henry, but finally begins to see a light at the end of the tunnel when Henry tells her that he still loves her and that he will leave Penelope for her. Seeing the two of them together, followed by a shock announcement from Penelope breaks her heart all over again though, and drives her to do something she is later ashamed of.

Penelope as ever continues her scheming throughout the entire book, with not a care as to who she hurts as long as she gets what she wants, and Henry and Diana are unable to be together. Penelope is spiteful, whilst still having a vulnerable side that we occasionally catch a glimpse of, which allows us to see just how desperate she is to get her happily ever after.

This book really is addictive and will quickly have you hooked, I found myself awake at 4am desperately wanting to read this book, and I really can't wait to see how it all ends in `Splendor'.
I really do hope that Diana and Henry get to be together, and that Elizabeth can also find happiness.
Highly recommended.
9 out of 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful writing, as always, 29 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Envy: A Luxe novel (Paperback)
The best book so far in the series.
I enjoyed it because there is a special emphasis on characters who previously have played little role in the series, such as Teddy Cutting and Grayson Hayes - both of which are characters I now love. There was also a few twists in this novel that I did not expect, particularly the ending - WOW. I can't wait to read the next one.
The entire series is beautifully written, and Godbersen's historical accuracy, coupled with the beautifully lavish descriptions, continue to amaze me. :D

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, 17 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Envy: A Luxe novel (Paperback)
If you do not buy this book, you have made a mistake. The third in a series, it is, in my opinion the best one. the front cover is beautiful, the book is well written, but still easy to read. The storyline kept me hooked.
Probably only reccomend for teenage girls, but at the end of the day, thats the target audience.

AMAZING. Anna Godbersen is a genious.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, 11 May 2009
This review is from: Envy: A Luxe novel (Paperback)
I love this book! it defiantly deserves 5* and a place by my bed! It is a must read if you've read any of the previous and I am really looking forward to Splendor. the story is deeper and more entwined than ever. Perhaps more suitable for younger than the previous however you really need to have read them first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where's Splendid?, 30 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Envy (Luxe Novel) (Kindle Edition)
I came to the end of this book and immediately searched the Amazon store for the next novel. Unfortunately, it had not yet come out. But other reviews told me that it was due out November last year. Well? Where is it?

Great book, by the way! ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars Envy, 20 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Envy (Luxe Novel) (Kindle Edition)
enjoyable, full of secrets and devious twists. Maybe a little dull at times but overall a deep and captivating novel. Cannot wait for the next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars for teens, 23 July 2009
Daniela Spanu (ROMANIA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Envy: A Luxe novel (Paperback)
this book is gossip girl in the year 1900. is a nice book but mostly for teenagers. adults might enjoy it as well....

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Envy: A Luxe novel (Paperback)
One of a trilogy and I loved it

Envy (Luxe Novel)