4.0 out of 5 stars excellent storytelling
At 560 pages, this isn't a quick read but you won't regret investing your time in reading this immensely rewarding story. It is a very readable novel, almost family saga-like in its style and one which I was very sorry to finish.

Not for the squeamish, some sections are a bit like a busy night at ER, although obviously in a less Westernised setting. Ethiopia...
Published on 7 Feb 2010 by Lovely Treez

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
Book was not in as good a condition as indicated. Disappointed in purchase
Published 1 month ago by Jacqui

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 420 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I have read in a long time, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: Cutting For Stone (Paperback)
Amazing book weaving a very bittersweet sad and poignant story of the intricacies of twin boys growing up in a legacy of difficult times in mission hospital in Ethiopia beautifully written that will not want you to put it down. If you liked 'A thousand splendid suns' you will love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book club read, 28 Feb 2013
This review is from: Cutting For Stone (Paperback)
Something completely different. Right from the beginning one was trying to figure out what was going on. How could his mother be a nun? The difference of the brothers and their sucess in their medical fields from a background of an african misson. Still they were searching for their raison d'etre, for love and peace. My husband liked it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cutting for stone, 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: Cutting For Stone (Paperback)
A fantastic read from start to finish. An epic story that takes you in from the beginning. I loved the main characters and missed them when I finished the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cutting for Stone, 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: Cutting For Stone (Paperback)
This is a "big book" in every sense. i loved the characters, the ethical dimension and the medical details. the history of Ethiopia is good too, I didn't know much about it before reading this. I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable!, 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: Cutting For Stone (Paperback)
Like the country it portrayed at the opening, this book took its time to introduce me to the characters and to lay the foundations for the plot. Leaving me with two cliffhangers simultaneously was quite a challenge to my bloodpressure and still it meandered on. Wow!I usually pride myself on guessing the plot but I forgot to try and the storyline took me by surprise again and again. In retrospect, I wondered why I missed the clues - but I did - what an expert storyteller! I didn't mind the technical aspects - found them fascinating. Now I need to find another book by this genius!

5.0 out of 5 stars 10/10, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: Cutting For Stone (Paperback)
This is one of my all time favourite books, I've read it 3 times and lent it to so many people, just had to buy a new copy as original falling apart! An epic story covering the life of a surgeon who was born and raised I'm a mission hospital in Ethiopia and that's just the start!
I love Abraham Verghese's style of writing, slightly reminds me of John Irving - complex and quirky.
This is one of those books that I want to share with everyone who likes to read, I know I will revisit it before long.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books of all time., 25 Jan 2013
K. Ciucci (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cutting For Stone (Paperback)
I think my heading says it all. The story is heart rending and it gripped me from the beginning to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: Cutting For Stone (Paperback)
Title--Cutting For Stone " I just thought it was a really great book and my wife really enjoyed it too

5.0 out of 5 stars Missing hospital in Ethiopia, 19 Jan 2013
Veronika Bernstein "keen reader" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cutting For Stone (Paperback)
If you love medical soaps and you love Africa then this is a book for you. A story of love between adults, siblings, parents and children peppered with fascinating medical stories and the development of Ethiopia this is a saga that will have you gripped with its beautiful description and style.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Recommendation from South Africa, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: Cutting For Stone (Paperback)
Facing an 18 hour journey from Cape Town back to home to the UK, I asked my sister-in-law for something good that she'd recently read in her Book Club.
The recommendation was "Cutting for Stone" which I purchased at Johannesburg Airport.
What a story, and the medical detail it incorporated only enlivened it. I read half of it on the journey to London, and the other half will be devoured this week-end. Varghese's descriptions of Ethiopian life and its peoples are totally illuminating, and his descriptions of the light of East Africa so accurate, and so evocative.
One review on this site mentioned "makes insomnia a pleasure" - I can only echo that - read it soon.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 420 | Next ›