4.0 out of 5 stars excellent storytelling
At 560 pages, this isn't a quick read but you won't regret investing your time in reading this immensely rewarding story. It is a very readable novel, almost family saga-like in its style and one which I was very sorry to finish.

Not for the squeamish, some sections are a bit like a busy night at ER, although obviously in a less Westernised setting. Ethiopia...
Published on 7 Feb 2010 by Lovely Treez

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
Book was not in as good a condition as indicated. Disappointed in purchase
Published 2 months ago by Jacqui

‹ Previous | 118 19 20 21 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Different., 9 Mar 2010
This review is from: Cutting For Stone (Paperback)
A very good read. Gets quite technical (medically) in places, so quite refreshing.Good story line and nice twist.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cutting for Stone, 5 July 2010
This review is from: Cutting For Stone (Paperback)
Eminently readable and almost very good. More than a run of the mill story but fails to maintain avid interest throuhgout. Some of the medical events are far fetched and could embarrass readers with more than a passing interest in the surgical arts. I enjoyed reading this mini saga but my enjoyment was not maintained at the pitch it reached in the first few chapters.

1.0 out of 5 stars One for the Charity Shop, 28 Feb 2011
zippy (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cutting For Stone (Paperback)
I had to read this as part of a Book Group.

It was chosen by a nurse I now I understand why.

If you want to learn about diseases - of the liver in particular - wrapped up in a disjointed, meandering story then this is the book for you.

I felt that:-

at its heart it's a short, interesting, story which has been padded out into a novel.

without the unnecessary medical details the book would have been less than half the length and twice as good.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tough going, 1 May 2010
This review is from: Cutting For Stone (Paperback)
Sadly I found this book tough going. I kept going until about half way through in the hope that I would get into it more but found I didn't. I might try again in the future but for now it has been put to one side.

2.0 out of 5 stars Blood and guts, 15 Oct 2011
This review is from: Cutting For Stone (Paperback)
I couldn't get past the first quarter of this book. The gory descriptions of surgery were just too much for me and the characters were not engaging enough for me to want to struggle on. I also found the writing style ponderous and wordy and the plot very slow to get going.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nurse - the screens!, 21 Jun 2011
G. M. Sinstadt - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Cutting For Stone (Paperback)
The book was a gift. I read the opening page or two and was struck by an author who was in command of language and was able to hint at a scenario that demanded exploration. There was also the unusual locale: Ethiopia doesn't feature in many novels and Verghese clearly new it well and could convey its sights and sounds - and smells. But soon I was invited into the operating theatre and had the doors locked behind me.

Currently Professor of Medicine at Stanford University, the author spares the reader no detail. The description of how Dr Thomas Stone amputated his own finger is only the warm-up. It was the birth labours in the blood-soaked theatre that almost led me to follow Matron's example (she faints). "Yes, he would tap that skull, empty its contents, crush it just as if he were crushing a bladder stone, and then he'd pull out the deflated head which was the part that was hung up in the pelvis." I don't require all my reading to be escapist but there are limits.

There was also the difficulty of coping with a narrative device. The baby - whose skull mercifully is not crushed - lives to be the first-person narrator of Crushing for Stone. But at other times the story is carried forward in conventional third-person, confusing the focus. Perhaps if I had been led more gently and clearly I might have gone on to discover - as I would have liked to - the explanation for the story's mysteries. But that is not the book Abraham Verghese wanted to write, so we parted company prematurely.

2.0 out of 5 stars Forced myself to finish - so glad when it ended, 28 Oct 2013
This review is from: Cutting For Stone (Paperback)
This looked so well recommended that I was eager to read it. WHAT A LET DOWN.
WHERE was the editor - this book could and should have been half the size. It felt like a medical lecture in many many places. And I am a nurse, usually interested but the medical stuff just got in the way sooooo many times. It was like the author wanted to show off how great his knowledge was - but at our expense. I am giving it 2 stars as the part in Ethiopia and the family and hospital compound was quite well done and different.
It was then dreary, boring, lacked any insight, stories were weaker and the famous Thomas Stone was poorly drawn, so I just ended up not caring, but determined to give the book a try to the end in case there was some sense to it all besides us realising the author was a magnificent surgeon with knowledge beyond others. What a shame. I am so relieved to have finished it and will not recommend to anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars A difficult read, 22 April 2013
S. Campbell - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cutting For Stone (Paperback)
We had chosen this book for my book club's next meeting, and I found it difficult to summon the energy to finish it. The story starts with a very dramatic but extremely unlikely scenario, and continues with many unbelievable coincidences, and much wallowing in physiological and surgical detail, sometimes unnecessary and adding little to the progress of the narrative, and often requiring the help of a medical dictionary - there is some 'showing off' here!
However it is very interesting to read a story written by a medic with insider knowledge of Ethiopia, Eritrea and the US; the book is an achievement to be proud of, but I think it would have benefitted from substantial editing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely loved it!, 6 Feb 2011
This review is from: Cutting For Stone (Paperback)
The setting, the storyline, the descriptions about surgical procedures. But the BEST aspect of this book was Marion finding his connection to his birth parents - so powerful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 10 Nov 2010
This review is from: Cutting For Stone (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this book from start to finish. Its a page turner with a great ending.

‹ Previous | 118 19 20 21 | Next ›