5.0 out of 5 stars Peace of Mind and very good value.
Bought this for my lad, who's at Uni - renting the top flat of a local private 3-storey block of flats.

There are, of course, smoke alarms fitted throughout but I didn't like the thought of him being possibly trapped ( with only one double-glazed window in his room, with small opening, to smash and jump through ).

Having bought the First Alert...
Published on 1 Nov 2009 by K. Bloor

2.0 out of 5 stars A big problem with safety
Both the manufacturers and Amazon should make it very clear what type of window
aperture this is designed for - modern houses with thin sills would appear fine.
This is meant to be a Health and Safety device!!!
The product intrinsically is good but it's application could be fatal on wider ledges.
To overcome the possible slippage of the bracket I have...
Published 23 months ago by Paul Dunkley

2.0 out of 5 stars A big problem with safety, 13 Aug 2012
Paul Dunkley (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Both the manufacturers and Amazon should make it very clear what type of window
This is meant to be a Health and Safety device!!!
To overcome the possible slippage of the bracket I have utilised a heavy iron bar with
safety chains to ensure it cannot fall away as a fail safe.
I'm an engineer but I would be terrified of this equipment failing for someone.
The manufacturers need to make very clear it's limitations.
I note that this has been an issue with other makes advertised on this site also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace of Mind and very good value., 1 Nov 2009
K. Bloor (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: First Alert 3 Storey Escape Ladder, EL53W-2 (DIY & Tools)

Having bought the First Alert 3-storey Escape Ladder I now sleep at night...it's kept under his bed with a hammer next to it (for the window!)- just in case.... at least he'd have a fighting chance now if anything were to happen. The unit is easily deployable once hooked over a window ledge... you just pull a velcro'd flap and the ladder automatically falls.

It arrived within 3 days and to check it out, & gain a bit of vital experience, I (together with my son) "deployed" it in my living-room. It was a fantastic piece of kit and carefully putting it back together was no problem with the enclosed instructions....which weren't really needed.

The cost - which doesn't come into it as far as peace of mind is concerned - was very reasonable I thought.... especially with regard to other makes of ladders for sale that appeared to be single-use ladders!

5.0 out of 5 stars thank goodness we've not needed it!, 5 Jan 2010
This review is from: First Alert 3 Storey Escape Ladder, EL53W-2 (DIY & Tools)
open the box carefully whne it arrives so you can use it for storing the ladders. Long and easy to unfold. We've not needed them I'm delighted to say, but we keep ours below the window in our loft extentension and I'm very glad to have them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great safety system!, 24 Dec 2011
This review is from: First Alert 3 Storey Escape Ladder, EL53W-2 (DIY & Tools)
I bought this safety ladder for my daughter who lives in a 2nd floor flat in town.
She has always been worried about escaping if there were to be a fire and we are really pleased with the quality of this product. Easy to clip over any window sill so no need for installation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great peace of mind!, 13 Dec 2011
This review is from: First Alert 3 Storey Escape Ladder, EL53W-2 (DIY & Tools)
I bought this ladder for my daughter who lives in a third floor flat, and fire escape was a concern for me. I wanted a longer than normal ladder as she was on the third floor. It was ordered and delivered within a few days, and fortunately it hasnt needed to be used in an emergency, but we did test it, and it was very easy to hook over the window cill and extend down to the ground. It would serve the purpose perfectly and it takes up very little space tucked away under the bed. Well worth the money for peace of mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Alert 3 Storey Escape Ladder, EL53W-2, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: First Alert 3 Storey Escape Ladder, EL53W-2 (DIY & Tools)
If you live on the first or second floor of a Flat or House, recommend you buy one, also practice fire escape drill out of more than one window, as the fire maybe below the window, you hope to escape from, so a opposite window is essential, so you can act quickly.

First Alert 3 Storey Escape Ladder, EL53W-2