Published on 29 July 2012 by "Belgo Geordie"

3.0 out of 5 stars Step back!
Comparing to the earlier interpretation (see Sony S2K 37867) this is a huge "step back". It lacks the stilistic purity and clarity that made the initial record so outstanding.
Published on 18 Mar. 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Sumptous, and check out Atom Egon's small film on Mr Ma with cello, 29 July 2012
This is cracking music. No, I'm fibbing. Should not describe grand stuff inspired by Bach and played by a virtuoso (Mr Yo-Yo Ma) as cracking. A friend with a pointy head when it comes to these things said the word is sublime. All I know is I painted the whole interior of a house with this as a soundtrack and it made those brush strokes just dabb themselves like angels on fire. Now, when I have to drive around regional New South Wales (think kangaroos, gallahs and big, dusty trucks) I play this because it is soothing and stops me shouting at other driver's stupidity while not being so concerned about my own (stupidity and driving I mean). Of course the man is a genius. Everything he twangs with his cello sound pretty tasty. But this is a two CD dose of heaven.

5.0 out of 5 stars A master at work!!!, 31 Jan. 2001
This cd is briliant! Yo Yo Ma's interpretation of these popular solo cello suite's shows real artistry. His playing is so emotive and thoughtful, his sarabande from the first suite is so special and full of emotion. The popular prelude to the first suite in G is played with Yo Yo Ma's usual fine, full tone. He really does make his cello sing and his technique and accuracy is as always, inspiring. A brilliant recording, a real must for any classical music lover whether inexperienced or expert. Buy it now

5.0 out of 5 stars absolute magic, 2 Dec. 1999
jashen@jashen.demon.co.uk (Woodbridge, Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
yo yo ma shows his considerable talent in this rendition. The playing is robust and clean, yet sensitive and delicate in the quieter movements. Some I already knew and loved, others were new to me, but now they are all old friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 3 Oct. 2012
porky "yes" (over there, no not there, THERE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inspired By Bach: The Cello Suites (MP3 Download)
Simply amazing. i never knew 1 instrument could hold so much presence and create such a spectacle. a real joy! I havent stopped listening to it since i got it

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 24 Jan. 2007
P. Fullman (UK) - See all my reviews
This is an absolutely superb version of the Bach Cello Suites. The intonation is flawless throughout, the tonal quality beautiful and the interpretation often gives a fresh insight into these familiar works. The recording quality is of an extremely high satandard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 14 Feb. 2015
No one better than Yo-Yo at the solo Bach - superb tone, strong and delicate at the same time - stunning and deeply moving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Value Double Album of Superb Music, 5 Feb. 2015
Wonderful clear vital interpretations from a master who can go head to head with the Rostropovich recording

4.0 out of 5 stars Bach Cello Suites, 21 July 2011
I bought this same Sony recording of Yo Yo Mah performing the Bach Suites over a decade ago and chose it over Rostropovich and Casals which I also have, as a present for my niece because it is technically 'newer' than the others. However, I cannot say that it is a superior performance over R and C. The Bach Cello Suites to my mind are nonpareil, a strictly personal opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bach Cello Suites on MP3, 4 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Inspired By Bach: The Cello Suites (MP3 Download)
I only tend to buy CDs but I had a couple of MP3 gift tokens from Amazon at Christmas, so thought I would give this "Cello Suites" collection a try.
The music is great, although there seem to be a few extra sounds thrown in, which sound to me like the chap breathing. I think I can live with that but someone more critical might find that too much of a distraction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 9 Jan. 2009
This box set is stunning. Recorded over a decade ago, but excellent quality. 36 tracks of some the most relaxing music to be found anywhere. If you don't already, you'll certainly grow to love the cello after listening to this. Top class.