4.0 out of 5 stars Art Gallery the Art Woods
A good piece of 60s eel pie island R&B all good solid covers from a great band which was the starting point for Deep Purples Jon Lord & Keef Hartley on Drums. Good stuf without being a knock out, enjoy this CD re-release as origional vinyl copies go for a whopping £1200 !!!
Published on 1 July 2009 by Wiggy Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid 60s R&B
I bought this on vinyl as a young lad way back in the 60s, although I never got to see them live. I sold the LP years ago, so it's nice to see it available again, with lots of extra tracks.

Published on 4 May 2010 by J. HOLMES

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid 60s R&B, 4 May 2010
J. HOLMES (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Art Gallery (Audio CD)

I still think the Art Gallery album is a good one; solid, workmanlike covers, played with bags of enthusiasm (and a certain skill as well, particularly from Jon Lord on keyboards, and Keef Hartley on drums). They must have been great to see live, but I guess they suffered from a dearth of original material, which perhaps resulted in them never emerging too far from the club scene of the time.

The extra tracks are quite interesting, although, I have to say, not stunningly exciting as far as I am concerned! If anything, they sound a little amateurish now!

That said, the whole package is well worth buying as a good indicator of the sort of quality band you could see at pubs and clubs across the UK in the 60s.

4.0 out of 5 stars Art Gallery the Art Woods, 1 July 2009
Wiggy Brown (Pastural England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Underrated Album, 15 Dec 2005
Mrs. S. Berry "uppercommander" (Cambrdige UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Art Gallery (Audio CD)
I first heard of the Artwoods because I dug out an old record of their later band St Valentines Day Massacre and decided to buy their album. It is an excellant album with great vocals and an excellant organ sound. I have to say that my favourite tracks are the two bonus ones from when The Artwoods were St Valentines Day Massacre. Al's Party has a great beat and their cover of Brother Can You Spare a Dime is perhaps the best version I've heard. They deserve to be much more well known than they are and the sound still stands the test of time.

4.0 out of 5 stars memories, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Art Gallery (Audio CD)
I had the original LP - long since lost/borrowed/disappeared - and have an Edsel compilation LP called 100 Oxford Street - but this CD is just a great collection of the first and only studio album , plus some single A and B sides and their jazz In Jeans EP. I saw them several times in the sixties with the Wood/Lord/Hartley/Pool/Griffiths line-up - musically excellent, technically stunning, and a truly inspirational band, and this collection is a great reminder of those days. The studio recordings sometimes sound a bit 'hollow' - in common with a lot of studio recording at the time it didn't convey their 'live' atmosphere . My old school even booked them for an end-of-term dance ( yes sadly they were called that at the time) via the Gunnell Agency I think, and what a great night. I also saw them at the end of their career rebranded as the St Valentine's Day Massacre to cash in on the then Bonnie and Clyde/gangster fashion. Oh dear what a mistake! By then Keef had jumped ship to play with John Mayall and it wasn't the same; their new drummer however proficient he might have been, couldn't match Mr Hartley and I suppose it highlighted why they never broke through to bigger things - they were essentially a covers band, albeit a very good one. They still remain ne of my top bands ever - and this CD shows why.

4.0 out of 5 stars Artful R&B, 2 Nov 2005
D. J. H. Thorn "davethorn13" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Art Gallery (Audio CD)
Featuring the skills of future Deep Purple organ maestro Jon Lord, The Artwoods made some earthy and exciting rhythm and blues. "Art Gallery" consists of their 1966 album of that name, together with a generous helping of other tracks from between 1964 and 1967. Recording only outside material, they were extinct by the late 1960s, but Art Wood's gritty vocal delivery and Lord's emerging virtuosity make this an enjoyable collection.
The album tracks are otherwise standard for the era. The bonuses that date to the back end of their career are interesting for the subtle development of their style. "I Feel Good" and the two tracks which follow suggest a move away from their earlier material, while there's a cool take of "Our Man Flint" and a richness to "Routine" and "Al's Party".
The biggest mistake is the cover of "These Boots Are Made For Walking" but most of the other material has been chosen well. Not a groundbreaking CD but an enjoyable one.

5.0 out of 5 stars We Are The Mods, 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: Art Gallery (Audio CD)
I bought this for my son who is one of the new breed of mods (I'm one of the originals). He loves all this old stuff and thought this was a really good collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good covers!The Artwoods feat.Keef Hartley,Jon Lord...4/5stars!, 22 Oct 2012
Ivan rubini? (Island Hvar,Croatia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Art Gallery (Audio CD)
Ovo je jedini album u kojem su bili nasiroko poznati Lord(Purple),Hartley(Dog Soldier,Mayall,K.H.Band...)i najstariji brat Roonie Wooda,Arthur koji je bio frontmen i pjevac i po kojem se bend zvao!Album je odradjen kvalitetno obradama uz vjestinu postava!U to vrjeme r&b je bio popularan te suvremenici su cesto posezali za obradama poznatih americkih autora!Glazba je snazna,srcedrapajucih takata,orguljama obilna,mocne ritam sekcije i kronerskog vokala.Album je izdan za Deccu 66te.CD je od Repertoire sa 14 bonusa.Najdraze skladbe su I feel good i Brother can you spare a dime koja je 67me izdana pod St Valentin's day Massacre istog postava!Nazalost ove godine izgubili smo Lorda i Hartleya a prije 6g.i Arthur je otisao!R.I.P. P.S.Uz njih preporucujem npr.amere Paul Revere&Raiders!

Art Gallery
Art Gallery by Artwoods (Audio CD - 2009)