5.0 out of 5 stars AAARGH, those years I wasted on Mach 3's!
I was always curious about straight razor shaving for a long time, but the expense was intimidating. On a lark, I did some research on wet shaving, and found out about DE/Safety Razors. The Merkur brand was pretty common, and the price was right. I paired this up with Tabac shave soap, Feather razor blades, and a badger hair brush, and WOW!.

The shave I get...
Published 19 months ago by Jesse D. Shultz

1.0 out of 5 stars Quality problem
Bought a Merkur 23c, and an Edwin Jagger DE89.

I didn't use the Merkur, so I can't speak for it's shaving quality, but I did take it out the box, then put it back in the box and back in the other box to send it back.

There is apparently a plating problem with Merkur and their standards have dropped recently. I contacted the seller and they told me...
Published 11 months ago by S. Patel

5.0 out of 5 stars Great craftsmanship, easy to use and seems durable, 15 Sep 2014
This review is from: Merkur 23C Long Handle Chrome Plated DE Safety Razor (one razor blade included) (Personal Care)
Great craftsmanship, easy to use and seems durable. Very pleased with this and cannot use it enough! Gives a great shave and works very well with Astra superior platinum's. God for those with sensitive skin, not just when shaving, but also has facial hair grows back, there is very little itching/irritation.

4.0 out of 5 stars blood, 20 Oct 2012
best shaver I have ever owned, out performs the electric and the three blade vibrating gillette razer which costs a fortune to replace the blades for.

Its also surprisingly satisfying to shave and I hate shaving.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bees knees, 2 May 2014
Bzzzzzzz BZZZZZZZZZ that annoying electric shaver noise is now no more some things just shouldn't change and this delicious number is one of those things it's slick design gives the best shave ever EVVVERRRR.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 22 April 2014
Ricardo Magalhces (Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal) - See all my reviews
A very good beginner Razor. Very nice handle. Bought a second one for my son after using mine for over a year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually enjoy shaving now - first time ever!, 31 Mar 2014
Bought this particular razor after online research on the subject. First one I've owned so I can't compare with other brands.
However on a more general note - I decided to try out the old-fashioned wet shave after reading about it.
Blades are incredibly cheap in comparison to the usual crop of double and triple edge ones and seem to work much better too. I don't bother trying to eke out the maximum from a blade - if I change the blade once every three days then the running costs are less than 25p per week - that's about £12.00 per year and I could probably make them last much longer if I really wanted to - plus soap/foam of course.
But the absolute main advantage for me is that I simply don't get the rash that I always got with the modern ones. I also happen to get a much closer shave. After a couple of weeks of getting used to it I rarely cut myself as well. What's not to like?

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a try, you might be surprised, 17 Feb 2014
M. J. Bond "The Rational Thinker" (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a fantastic razor, I have tried many expensive cartridge razors previously with varying degrees of success. But this razor is a class of it's own, the upfront cost is balanced by the fact replacement blazes are so much cheaper.

After 2 days (and some help from youtube) I have nailed a decent technique and a week further on my skin looks cleaner and much less irritated.

One downside might be the extra time it takes to shave in the morning, but I'm talking about an extra 5 mins over the top of what you would normally do anyway.

Was well packaged and arrived promptly too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product at a great price, 1 Feb 2014
Robert6920 (Drogheda, Ireland) - See all my reviews
I'm returning to DE shaving after a break of many years - due to the exhorbitant cost of multi-blade razors - and this Merkur 23C, aka 180, is well balanced, weighty enough to do all the work, and simple and attractive in design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 31 Dec 2013
Cannot believe how good this razor is after using a cartridge for so long.
With a good quality foam (I use Ingram) and a brush I can shave just as quick as with a cartridge and after six months use I have never cut myself
I have a tough stubble so change the blades every two shaves, but it saves so close I can now get away with shaving every other day. Added bonus is how cheap the blades are!
Will never go back to cartridge

5.0 out of 5 stars Merkur 23C, 21 Dec 2013
I get as good a shave as a modern multi blade razor at a fraction of the cost! Due to it being heavier than a modern multi blade I take my time more which results in a better shave. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Merkur 23C long handled double edged safety razor, 18 July 2014
I bought the Merkur 23C long handle as spare to my 34C Merkur. The handle is lighter but feels right. The Merkur is the BMW of razors build to last and looking timeless. Will outlive many multiple cartridge razor systems.