on 26 March 2015
Have now been using DE razors for over 7 years due to the rip off prices of cartridges. For that period have been using a Parker interceptor,which is a spot on razor for beginning as its a straight bar.did some research into buying another and found that an open comb or sometimes called a rake razor,would give a better shave than my current one.Seeing the brand name and the reviews I went for this one and couldn't be happier. It seems to have more feel and control over my other razor,I use no pressure what so ever and after a three pass shave I do not see a sign of of growth until at least 24 hours after.
Excellent razor
on 18 August 2015
If you weigh against the cost of modern razors.

If you buy Cheap/budget razors they go blunt easily and generally not a good shave.

Expensive razors still do not stay sharp long, though you will usually get a decent shave.
But still.... way too expensive for what you get.

Electric? For the best makes, again very expensive and very few give a close shave.(Still not as close as good razor)
But can often give you a rash or sore skin.(Yes I have researched)

Then we come to these old style safety razors.
The blades are cheap and very efficient. Make sure you buy well known name, as in most things.
The blade holder you buy one, treat it well and it will last a life time.
Money wise even after a month or two you are already saving money from not buying over priced modern razors.
Once you have learnt how control this Safety Razor and become confident. You will find it works very well and very cheaply.
I have used it a few time and not yet a cut rash or sore face. :)

And just in case your new to shaving, internet search:
"Basic Shaving Hygiene" to avoid infection if you do have an accident.

Fill your own requirements and not the greed of the companies, leaching on your need for a shave.

Have fun.
on 29 June 2015
I wish I had discovered safety razors earlier!

This is a quality product, and the shave is not too aggressive. The shape and weight of this product is perfect for a newbie like me, and is easy to maintain and clean.

The biggest advantage with safety razors is that there is less irritation on the skin (due to the fact that it only has one blade) and they give you a level of control that typical cartridge based razors (i.e. Mach 3, etc) do not. You simply adjust the angle and direction of the shave to determine how close you want - it is a technique that needs learning but doesn't take too long.

I no longer have to fork out £10 for some overpriced mach 3 blades - instead I spend £10 for a pack of 100 Astra blades (which last around 3 shaves anyway, so almost a year's worth of blades)!
on 12 December 2015
As a mixed-race guy with extremely curly hair (curlier than any white guy's by a long shot), I can't use mainstream cartridge razors with any kind of confidence and until now, I dry-shaved with electric rotaries. They didn't shave all that close, the heat irritated my neck, and they left my face feeling a little delicate too. Worst of all, some hairs would lie flat and refuse to be cut, so I ended up with this really inconsistent, scraggly kind of shave.

I knew I had to change, but I didn't know what to. I was a little apprehensive about the advice of the 'shaving forums', and honestly, for a while I just wrote them off as hipsters, shaving the old way for no reason other than because it was the old way.

Well, I just finished my first shave with a safety razor (this one), and although time will ultimately tell, right now I feel absolutely great. The shave is - consistently, with no random longer hairs scattered about my face - extremely close, and I almost feel like I didn't even shave at all because there was no heat and it gave me precisely zero irritation, both face and neck. This is, without a word of exaggeration, the best shave I've had since I first became a young man and started having to shave.

I had a couple of concerns. For one, some of the pages on how to shave with a safety razor made out like nicks and cuts were inevitable, and the art was in minimising the number of them before treating the ones you get with an 'alum block'. For another, at first it felt like it was pulling the hair on my face. I guess I picked up on what not to do pretty fast, because that feeling didn't last long and the shaving was smooth sailing after I figured it out. Also, zero nicks, zero cuts using the included blade.

I would definitely recommend this to other mixed-race guys, or even fully black guys who have even curlier hair.
on 5 August 2015
I decided to buy the Merkur 23C Long Handle Safety Razor because I was feed up using my epilator/electric shaver on my legs and under arm. I the electric shaver did not me a close enough shave and it also left my legs with little bumps. I was all set to get a manual razor but after reading up on the pros of using and safety razor I sent my manual razor back (unopened). I watch countless amounts of YouTube videos on wet shaving and I decided to buy a safety razor. I found that I received a much better shave using the Merkur 23C Long Safety Razor then any other electric or manual razor. In the long run safety razor blades are much cheaper the manual blades.

Before I shave my legs take a few steps such as

Exfoliating my legs with my exfoliating gloves and bamboo charcoal soap. Once my legs are dry I massage a small amount of vegetable glycerine onto my legs. Then I apply the shaving cream(Proraso Shaving Cream Soap 150 ml Bowl) with a shaving brush. Then I shave.
I normal do three passes 1. with the grain. 2. across the grain and 3. clean up shave. I then wash of with warm water then cold water. Once I've dried my legs I apply my toner (apple cider vinegar, rosewater and vegetable glycerine) using cotton wall balls. Then I moisturise with my body butter. Checkout YouTube on shaving tips for your legs(ladies).

Get yourself a alum block to help soothes shaving irritation and stops bleeding.
I use Shark Double Edge Safety Razor Blades which I find work for me.
If you are unsure as to which blades to use then buy a mixed sample pack Double Edge Safety DE Razor Blades to find your match.
on 13 March 2013
Ok just used this for my first ever de shave. Was at first going very gently but soon got into the swing of things. This is a quality razor and easy to use. Have derby blade in at the mo no cuts first time out very pleased with the shave glad i changed. If u are considering trying this type of shaving go for it, good results are easily achieved plus long term its cheaper u will be surprised how good your face will feel afterwards. Lots of help online so check out youtube.
review image
on 1 August 2012
The Merkur 23C is a lovely razor. It has a long handle which I like, not because I have large hands but because I have been used to the Gillette Sensor Excel for many years. The handle is milled so has good grip when in use. I have been using this razor in conjunction with Wilkinson Sword blades and I am delighted with the results. A really good shave for about 12p a blade instead of £1.20.
on 12 October 2011
This razor seems to personify "German engineering". Excellent quality of materials, design, manufacture... the lot!
It's a fairly light razor despite the longer handle and having the same head set-up as the renowned 34C it gives a fantastic shave, especially for those with bigger hands or that prefer a longer handle.
As it is a basic 3-piece design it will last longer than me and is easy to keep clean & hygienic. Great value too!
on 15 September 2014
Great craftsmanship, easy to use and seems durable. Very pleased with this and cannot use it enough! Gives a great shave and works very well with Astra superior platinum's. God for those with sensitive skin, not just when shaving, but also has facial hair grows back, there is very little itching/irritation.
on 9 January 2016
I use this for shaving legs, armpits and pubic hair and it's been amazing! I started out using oil (normal one!) for shaving and now switched to using olive soap (which you can find in health stores for 1.5 or so). It shaves really well and I opted for the long handle because it makes shaving easier.