on 31 January 2013
I was always curious about straight razor shaving for a long time, but the expense was intimidating. On a lark, I did some research on wet shaving, and found out about DE/Safety Razors. The Merkur brand was pretty common, and the price was right. I paired this up with Tabac shave soap, Feather razor blades, and a badger hair brush, and WOW!.

The shave I get is so much smoother, and the irritation is almost non existant. I do not need a balm anymore. I can just rinse off with cold water, throw on a little witch hazel, and I am good to go. I even noticed that my skin on my neck has cleared up, no bumps or pimples that used to form from shaving.

All this, and because of the inexpense of razor blades and shave soap vs. the cartridges and foam, I am saving probably over a $100 a year easily. This razor paid for itself in a just a few months, and now it is all profit!
on 25 March 2010
The 23C is basically the Merkur HD head on a longer handle.
However Its Thinner and less weighty than the similar Merkur 38C 'Barber pole'.

The Razor provides a very similar shave to both, but due to the balance tipped slightly towards the head is easier to learn technique
for beginers to DE shaving.

I own a great many DE razors and i have found myself often using this razor as my 'go to'.
Its very elegant yet still has the solid Merkur build quality.
on 28 March 2016
Read stacks of reviews about this razor handle so thought I'd give it a go as I was converting from the cartridge blade system (Gillette fusion in my case) because I've heard on the media more and more fakes are coming onto the market and I'm convinced the fusion blades ive got are either a bad batch or fake. So having now tried the Merkhur 23c I can say it's a very good shave and the blades are a fraction of the price compared to the proprietry cartridge systems. (Currently trying the Japanese feather blades). Generally the technique of shaving is much the same as with a cartridge razor and strange as it may sound if I get a nick or cut they are not as bad as the cuts I get with the cartridge ones. So all in all its worth the money and therefore definitely worth considering if you have become a DE convert like me. But remember it still takes some careful work when shaving and it's not a miracle blade / handle like some of these other 5 star reviewers are implying, hence 4 stars from me. Thanks for reading this.
on 13 August 2012
My first Merkur and clearly an excellent traditional three part razor with a very smooth polished head and what looks like a nickel plated or stainless steel machined handle. The 23c looks as though it should last a lifetime, certainly the rest of mine! This razor makes an interesting comparison with my inexpensive Egyptian Lord L6 'Premium' razor with a similar (cloned?) less highly finished head. The Merkur head detached inc. blade weighs about 29grms and the Lord L6 head detached inc. blade about 27grms; perhaps due to the top of the L6 head having a slightly thinner section. The ends of my Lord L6 head have traces of moulding 'sprigs' but as these never contact the face this rougher finish is unimportant except to its overall finish. The Merkur and Lord L6 handles weigh 33grms and 17grms respectively with both measuring 10mm dia. over the major hand hold. The Merkur 23c handle is 98mm long overall and the Lord L6 handle 104mm; these measurements include the stem immediately under the head.

While appreciating the finish, quality and weight of the Merkur I also like the Lord L6. Its lighter machined aluminium handle with domed end nests comfortably in the palm and the alloy has a lively resonance accentuating cutting sounds. I find this noticeable weight difference between head and handle helpful when shaving using the weight of the head only. The Merkur's weighty handle and lower pitched cutting sound adds to its heavier feel making it for me a tad slower to use. Despite their huge cost difference both razors shave equally well given simlar conditions and my prefered Astra blades. The heavier Merkur feels a bit more aggressive on my light beard but not excessively. Concern that the Merkur 23c handle might feel too slim based upon some sales photographs was unfounded. Despite having smallish hands I most definitely prefer the longer handles of these razors to the shorter 65mm 'normal length' handle of my first DE razor, the popular Weishi TTO. I find that longer handles allow fingers to be kept clear of the head, improving both visibility and manouvering especially when shaving difficult bits. Someone commented on a shaving blog that they prefered using a Merkur at home but took a Lord L6 on trips as its lower cost made it easier to replace if lost! The slight weight saving could also be useful on trips.
on 4 February 2013
This razor is exceptional the handle is four inches long with a knurled pattern which ensures a firm grip even with wet soapy fingers. It really is worth every penny. The quality of the shave is outstanding with no issues even for a novice like me.
Just got into shaving with this type of razor...after much reading and scouring around I plumb for this model...Firstly..It's a great looking razor (much better looking in real life then the photo does it justice)...I tried it for the first time with the blade that come complimentary (a Merker) and it gave me a fantastic shave...In fact for my first time I had no nicks...Wow..it was so smooth to use and I'm glad I made the choice I did...You may ask why the drop of one star....well... I was under the impression that when you undid the bar to place and remove the blade I expected the screw to be on the handle making it easy to change the blade without the risk of mishandling the blade...I found the whole system came apart and this made it that I had to reassemble the top ,the blade and the bottom altogether and then screw it back together....Apart from this small hiccup...I'm happy with the performance of this razor, and like I said it's beautifully made (as in the finish) and it seems like it will stand the test of time....of course,only time will tell...but for now I'm very happy with the performance as I know many others are too..I would also like to point out that the razor is only half of what gives you a close and comfortable shave...the blade also plays a major role, so experimenting here is essential...and the Merker blade that comes with it to set you off I found to be the perfect one...but do cost more then then other makes out there...Astrid blades also perform well with this razor...Cheers
VINE VOICEon 24 June 2012
My partner puchased one of these for me last xmas and I have been astounded by its quality so I bought another one for travelling as a back-up to the travel size Merkur razor. For my long fingers, it provides the perfect grasp. The weight and balance is just right - you just let the razor glide over your face. However, the Merkur blade doesn't really do the razor justice. I used the Astra blades from Gilette and they provide a closer and far more rewarding shave but that's down to personal preference.
I wanted to try and go back to old style shaving since razors seemed to be getting so expensive. The blades can be bought for less than 5p so that's a huge cost saving. I find the Astra blades I have been using give me about 4-5 days use. That's not quite the week I used to get with Gillette Platinum blades - but I was 20 then and 67 now - maybe my face is tougher (Ha!)

The Merkur razor is the best quality razor I have ever come across and having worked for Gillette in 1967/68 I saw lots of razors.

The chrome seems very good quality with that deep chrome look that suggests this razor will stay looking good for many years.

This one is the simple three piece type that takes the old style blades - watch your fingers when loading up a new blade or taking out the old one - and you will have to consider how you will dispose of the old blades - despite being used they are still uber sharp. (Oh come on ...it is a German product.)

So... nice quality, heavy quality feel about it, although quite expensive you will then be into a penny a day shaving costs - lastly be careful handling the blades for this razor.
on 17 February 2016
Nice shave, only been DE shaving for a couple of months, first bought the wilkinson sword starter kit for £13 all in, got on well with it and thought I would upgrade to the Mhule R89, as I read in numerous articles as the ideal starter razor, and I as I'm sure you have or either will, I was so disappointed, as it kept slipping in my wet/soapy grip, the more I struggled to hold it I kept knicking my self, so I decided to try (after reading more articles) Merkur 23c long handle, what an absolute dream this razor is, fantastic grip, longer handle and paired with my personal choice blades, feather, is THE BEST SHAVE OF MY LIFE!
If you are getting started in DE shaving, save time and money, buy sampler packs of blades, and shave creams (truefitt do a good selection for £10) buy a good quality shave brush, be prepared to spend about £50, and this razor.
on 15 September 2012
I purchased the Merkur 23c after a long absence from D/E shaving,I found it a pleasure to use even on my ancient wrinkly skin (I am 65)I made the mistake of lending it to my son to try and convince him of the benefits of D/E shaving and I am having great difficulty in getting it back,I think he is convinced.