5.0 out of 5 stars Surpringly brilliant

3.0 out of 5 stars It's quite effective but rent it or buy it at budget price
Published on 13 Mar 2010 by Vinman666

5.0 out of 5 stars Surpringly brilliant, 5 May 2009
Dr Evil (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Uninvited [DVD] (DVD)
`The Uninvited' is the US remake of Korean horror film A Tale of Two Sisters and tells the story of Anna, a young girl who has been in a mental institution for the past 10 months since her ill mother dies in a mysterious house fire. Her father now is living with his new girlfriend who was also Anna's mother's nurse before her death. Anna and her sister Alex believe that their father's new girlfriend may be the reason for the fire and also fear what plans she has in store for them too, especially after Anna begins to receive visits from the ghost of her dead mother.

I watched this film not expecting much as generally US remakes of J-Horror classics tend to be pretty rubbish - just look at the awful Ring, Grudge, Shutter and One Missed Call remakes. This however was surprisingly excellent. The story gripped me from the opening scene, combining psychological horror with mystery and suspense, this film really did make the most of a decent plotline and turned it into a genuinely scary and well thought out thriller. The acting was very good - I felt the relationship between the two sisters as well as the relationship with their love-blind father was very believable. The setting was very picturesque with some very impressive camerawork displaying the beautiful ocean view during the daytime scenes then turning it into a very dark and creepy haunted house feel to it during the night-time scenes. The story itself could have worked without the ghost elements of it too but this just made the film all the more scary. I also really didn't expect any of the surprises at all and was actually shocked by the ending which I found to be incredibly unpredictable and well done.

Overall this is definitely one of the best horror thrillers that I've seen for ages and is without a doubt the best J-Horror remake that I've ever seen. I can't recommend this film highly enough as there's next-to nothing about it that I can comment negatively about other than it not getting the spotlight as much as some of the other, inferior remakes like The Ring and The Grudge. Just don't expect an easy night's sleep afterwards as it will stick in your head long after it's finished...especially when lying in bed in the dark!

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy horror a must see!, 19 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Uninvited [DVD] (DVD)
Fantasic film this film really suprised me it had brilliant acting throughout and a great story line and fantastic twist, i tend to like what i like and if a film is slow getting into it, it really puts me off watching it again but this had fantastic thrills all the way through it and jump out of your skin moments, then to top it off some really chilling ghost parts in it the twist is probably the best one I have ever seen. I am not kidding this film will stick in your mind for ages and believe me you will be sleeping with the light on for a few nights!! :)One to watch again and again! x

3.0 out of 5 stars It's quite effective but rent it or buy it at budget price, 13 Mar 2010
Vinman666 (Essex, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Uninvited [DVD] (DVD)
This is a fairly standard deceased parent/wicked step-parent type horror, complete with are-they-real-or-not dream sequences and messages from beyond the grave. The end is quite effective and I must admit I didn't see the twist coming so it deserves 3 stars for that much. Plus the performances are good and the SFX, though not ground-breaking, are decent. Is it scary? I didn't find it so, but will you?

How 'scared' you can be by a film largely depends on the number of horror/thriller films you've seen previously. If you're young and have seen relatively few such films you'd be likely to enjoy this much more than someone like me who has watched them for years. Since the main characters are teenage sisters, this is most likely the intended market.

Several years ago, Hollywood began to remake Asian (mainly Japanese or Korean) films, secure in the knowledge that few Americans would watch anything foreign and thereby able to copy elements from such highly original films as 'Ring'. This process is now so well known that re-making an Asian film has become a marketing device: if they bothered to re-make it, it must be good right? I've not seen 'A Tale of Two Sisters', the film on which this is supposedly based but can only assume that the end twist is the element copied, since the rest of the movie is similar to many others.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Highly Effective Haunted House Tale, 6 Dec 2014
William Mason (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Uninvited [DVD] (DVD)
This is a well crafted and creepily effective haunted house tale.
Anna is in her late teens and has spent the last ten months in a psychiatric hospital. Her mother died ten months earlier in a house fire and Anna suffered a nervous breakdown. Upon discharge from the hospital she returns home to her father, who's a successful, fifty-something novelist and lives in an amazing shoreside mansion. Her father has formed a relationship with a very pretty, thirty-something trophy partner, Rachel, and Anna finds it very difficult to adjust to the new female presence in the house. Anna has a similarly aged sister named Alex, who reveals that their father was seeing Rachel even before their mum died.
Anna starts having visions of the ghost of her dead mother, and both she and her sister start to believe that the explosion which killed their mum perhaps wasn't a tragic accident...
The acting is first rate, especially the lead performance by Anna, who's a feisty, determined and attractive character, desperate to solve the riddle of what happened to her mother. The relationship she has with her equally spirited sister is touchingly drawn. The setting in a spectacular seaside mansion works perfectly - during daylight hours, it creates the impression of a halcyonic existence, but at night, it becomes a dark, foreboding harbinger of terrors. Rachel is a complex mix of well meaning and Machiavellian, whilst her sugar daddy is completely love blind, and tends to side with his girlfriend rather than the daughters.
This film is very tense and startled me on several occasions. It uses misdirection extremely cleverly, and it had me guessing about the outcome right up until the very end.
If you enjoy creepy ghost stories, I can also very highly recommend The Conjuring - The Conjuring [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]. If you don't mind subtitles, I can warmly recommend The Orphanage and The Devil's Backbone - Orphanage [Blu-ray], The Devil's Backbone - Special Edition [Blu-ray].
Thank you for taking the time to read this review.

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste your time on another film., 14 July 2011
This review is from: The Uninvited [DVD] (DVD)
I am a huge fan of horror films, and my main passion is Asian horror.
I first saw the original KOREAN version, (No, it is NOT Japanese) and loved it to pieces. My sencond favourite film ever next to 'The Voice' (Whispering Corridors 4).
I really loved the cute sisters in the original, and the stylish house. The characters were excellent. This one? Maybe it's that I feel too attatched to the original, but no. I didn't like it. I didn't really feel the bond of the two sisters, like in the first. The sweet sitting on the pier was replaced with manically jumping into the lake.
I had no idea that it was actually remade from 'a Tale of Two Sisters' when I first heard of it, I thought that it was a remake of the film 'The Uninvited' (Another Korean horror)
I thought it was badly remade. I would probably like it better if they had said that it was 'inspired' by the original.

Now, IF you IGNORE the fact that they ripped off the original, then here you have your basic American ghost horror with nothing particularly special about it. It had it's moments, but after all these wonderful reviews I was expecting a lot more from it.

I suppose that if you decided to buy it, then you wouldn't have wasted much, but I implore you to watch the original first.

Of course, this is only my opinion. If you liked it, then you have a good film for a ridiculously low price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocks round every corner, 5 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Uninvited [DVD] (DVD)
Very good film, totally unexpected ending, really good story. Some hide behind the sofa moments. I would highly recomend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars good horror, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Uninvited [DVD] (DVD)
I watch alot of horror, and they can be samey at times so it's good when something a little different comes along,and this was different in that it was clever, well acted and has a great twist to it. I give many films away to my friends or family, and only keep the really good ones, but I will be adding his to my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Uninvited, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Uninvited [DVD] (DVD)
I love this DVD I watch paranormal movies all the time if I'm going to be scared by a horror I prefer this type of horror compared with the gory hporrors. Great movie

5.0 out of 5 stars READ ME FIRST, 13 Oct 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Uninvited [DVD] (DVD)
DON'T READ ANY OTHER REVIEWS as it may ruin the movie for you. This is a 5 star suspense/drama/horror/mystery. Just go watch it. Knowing about the movie will simply ruin the ending. Trust me. Just watch it, don't even read the box.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Film with a Brilliant Twist at the End!, 8 May 2010
C. Ellis - See all my reviews
The picture is pristine and beautiful, the sound is crisp, and the film is superb (and really makes you think)
It's really one of those movies you must watch twice, and the second time carefully to watch for, let's just say, mistakes
The way every scene can play out two different depending on what you're thinking, is brilliant!
And the casting is just perfectly done.
I wouldn't call it a horror, but more a psychological thriller.
And the extras are good (if a bit lacking)

But I'm gonna rate it on my movie experience and give it a 5/5

The Uninvited [DVD]
The Uninvited [DVD] by Elizabeth Banks (DVD - 2009)