Format: Audio CD|Change

Buying and listening to this CD has revealed two things to me.

Firstly, I haven't yet bought any CD featuring Nikolai Demidenko which has not been of oustanding technical and interpretative quality. I am therefore of the opinion that I will always cherish anything that he has and will release. I am now a firmly dedicated fan (I have seen him perform live in Manchester too)

Second revelation, is that Medtner should enter more mainstream repertoire in live performances, and become part of recommended lists of piano music CD (or mp3) collectors. Particularly the solo piano repertoire. His music would grace any recital, and competitions too.

I have other recordings of Medtner music, but the CD being reviewed here should be starting point if you haven't heard much by this composer before. If you like it then explore the piano concerti and the violin sonatas too.

All in all for this CD: 5 stars & Enthusiastically recommended
on 17 July 2009
The pianist Nikolai Demidenko released a remarkable collection of CD's of piano music on Hyperion in the early to mid 1990's. This reissue of a collection of the piano music of Nikolai Medtner on Helios (Hyperion) is in my opinion exceptional and a CD I find I am forever returning to.

Give this CD a few plays and it is difficult not to be smitten by the music. In the performance of this Medtner selection, a music which is rich with beautiful melodies and wonderful harmonic progressions, Nikolai Demidenko excells with a playing that is both sensitive yet fully encompasses the dynamic range required for the selection.

If one is not familiar with the piano music of Nikolai Medtner there are similarities with Chopin, Scriabin and Rachmaninov to name a few composers, eg. late romantic in style and idiom. I would throughly recommend this CD.
on 12 April 2016
Having been a collector of Russian and other 20th Century music for many years I somehow never got around to Medtner.How wrong I have been!
A few weeks ago I was listening to the radio when a piano piece by Medtner was being played.I sat down and was captivated by the sound.Recently I purchased on Amazon the Demidenko disc of Medtner on Hyperion (Helios). Since it arrived I have not been able to take it out of the player.
Demidenko's playing is ravishing and I was immediately drawn in to Medtner's sound world of fairy tales,landscapes and fantastic journeys.
If you like the piano music of Rachmaninov or even Faure you will love Medtner.Since then I have bought several other discs of his extensive piano catalogue.The sound on this disc is clear and the performances speak with authority and style.For under a fiver you can't go wrong!
Demidenko received Gramophone Award for his amazing recording of Scriabin's piano concerto. Here, again he proves to be one of the foremost interpreters of Russian piano music. Many of the pieces included here are very lyrical and full of Russian pathos. Demidenko plays each of them with deep empathy and poetic imagination. The recording quality is excellent presenting very natural sound of the piano.