on 10 August 2006
Why this Ethiopian pianist slipped over everyone's heads is beyond me. This batch of recordings from nun Tsegué-Maryam Guèbrou showcases some of the most touching instrumentals ever written. After the first few tracks, you will realise you have already been ushered closer into her life story and it is hard to finish listening to the CD without being at one point stunned into complete and utter silence, not even daring to move.
on 21 February 2009
This collection of piano pieces by Tsegue-maryam Guebrou are quietly beautiful and sometimes haunting. While there is something discernably african in the melodies they transcend time and place and the 16 tracks flow effortlessly - great music for quiet contemplation and from a more shallow perspective great background dinner music that never fails to elicit a "who is this - it's beautiful" from your guests.
on 4 March 2015
This is a rather wonderful and brilliant collection of solo piano pieces from an obviously extremely gifted composer / player who displays a unique style and highly personal musical vision . Even many of the titles of the 16 featured songs have inspired , interesting titles such as 'A Young Girl's Complaint' ,' The Last Tears of a Deceased' , 'Presentiment' and 'Tenkou ! Why Feel Sorry ? '.
It is difficult , if not impossible, for me to choose particular favourites but I have an affection for 'Evening Breeze' as this is the song that first alerted me to the need to check this album out after I heard this particular piece being played on a late night radio station ( IE Lyric FM's 'The Blue of the Night').
The music here is virtually impossible to accurately categorize which speaks volumes for the uniquely ,dare I say it, idiosyncratic nature that it possesses . At times the pieces remind me of Chopin's Nocturnes and sometimes the work of Debussy is evoked in my mind .However, there are other times were other strongly diverse and interestingly puzzling musical approaches have also been employed and adapted to great effect.
I have found this delightful and intriguing album to be a real 'grower' and I recommend it heartily to anyone who is interested in listening to something refreshingly different from the norm .
on 16 May 2016
I heard a track from this album played on Classic FM on my way to work driving through the mad morning traffic. I immediately pulled over to make a note of the artist and searched online at work. How disappointing to realise Tsegué-Maryam Guèbrou’s music is so hard to get hold of. Her music is simply beautiful, mesmerising and haunting. If more reviews are written it will then encourage a record company to re-release this gem. (Hopefully on vinyl too). Let us all pray for such a miracle!
on 2 March 2016
J'ai découvert l'existence de cette interprète-compositeur en écoutant " Mother's love" à la radio.
L'écoute de l'album en entier a confirmé mes premières impressions : c'est une musique à nulle autre pareille, sortie de nulle-part (rythme, harmonies...), qui transporte celui qui l'écoute dans un monde extraordinaire en le berçant.
Je le recommande sans la moindre hésitation.
on 24 May 2014
This is love at first hear. I was so moved by the clear, brave and beautiful tunes the first time I heard it. It made me went online straightaway to find out who those lovely tunes belong to and to buy it immediately. I can now only be glad that I come across Tsegue Maryam's beautiful music
on 31 March 2015
A distinctive piano album. Delightful in itself; some tracks are a little too similar.
on 20 September 2014