5.0 out of 5 stars Where Lies Your Soul, 24 Dec 2008
This review is from: Down To Earth (Audio CD)
At long last, after pressure from many of us SB+Q fans, thanks to Lemon Records for recognising this September 1977 release. It comes with 3 added tracks which also were made available on the re-issued 'When The Night Comes Down'. Just a shame missing 'Rock 'n Roll Show' 'Sorrow' and 'Have You Ever Had A Vision' from previous sets are not included, but hey am I NOT complaining.

'Down To Earth' is the only Sutherland Brothers album never made available on CD before, so this is Christmas come early for this reviewer. The LP sleeve on the original Abbey Road recorded album only include Iain, Gavin and Willie Wilson. However Tim Renwick is still mentioned on lead guitar along with Ray Flacke and Mick Grabham, John 'Rabbit' Bundrick on keyboards and also Brian Bennett (The Shadows drummer).

This re-issue courtesy of Lemon Recordings part of the Cherry Red Records group comes with a 8 page cover insert of good quality and notes.

Produced by Shadows guitarist Bruce Welch, the original excellently crafted 10 tracks are all written either jointly or individually by Iain and Gavin. Dark Ship, Harbour Light, Somebody's Fool and my personal favourite ever SB track Where Lies Your Soul are included here.

All those afore mentioned, should have made the Best of CD. Highly recommended for all fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars On cd at last, 28 Feb 2009
This review is from: Down To Earth (Audio CD)
At last on cd, could not understand why this lp was not re-mastered with the other lps a few years back. Having grown up in the 70s my parents had the 'Reach for the sky' lp with the hits on it and this was infused in my memory and I bought the cd version many years later. It gets played at family get togethers as it reminds my sister and brother of life in the mid 70s. I did not remember 'Down to Earth' getting much airplay in our house until one Xmas in the 90s, Dad putting the vinyl on. The 1st track blew us away, Ice in the Fire, I managed to get a copy on ebay and this is my favorite SBQ lp. The greatest hits misses the tracks off, maybe they were not re-mastered at the time.
A darker, downbeat lp and maybe after touring RFTS and Slipstream, and the arrival of punk, the band felt their chance had gone for mainstream success; Tim Renwick left during the recording. Ice and Dark Ship, Nobodys Fool show the sadder side to the SBQ writing but a well crafted lp with excellent production and still some of Tim's finest guitar work. The last lp in 79 sounds like a bunch of session musicians (of course it was), but Tim Renwicks trademark SBQ mid 70s guitar was much missed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great music..long awaited, 27 Mar 2009
James Mcintyre "jamesmcintyre42" (St Neots Cambridgeshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Down To Earth (Audio CD)
Cant argue with musical quality but the sound is dissapointing..it sounds no better than the vinyl and the sound stage seems diminished but it lacks the crackle of my record so perhaps i am being a bit unfair
Songwise its almost perfect..their best produced album and the final track Where Lies Your soul is a stunner

Jim

5.0 out of 5 stars thank you, 7 Oct 2010
This review is from: Down To Earth (Audio CD)
This is my fave SBQ album, and I could never understand why it has never been released before or why any of the tracks were not on the best of album.

This is class melodic rock and for me Ice in the Fire, Dark Ship and Where lies your soul sum this band up, great music. I grew up with this and remember playing this to my brother in our early twenties, when punk was at his height and he too thought they were pretty good. Like many of us who have our vinyl upstairs in the attic I can now bring this mucic to my wife who's never heard of them, happy days!

4.0 out of 5 stars Down to earth Sutherland Brothers and Quiver, 5 Dec 2012
This review is from: Down To Earth (Audio CD)
Seven of the songs herein are totally world class. This is a must have CD. Not quite 5 star though

5.0 out of 5 stars Sutherland Brothers & Quiver, 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: Down To Earth (Audio CD)
If only I would have had the chance to listen to them in the 70s, SB&Q, BEST BAND EVER, definitely!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's cheap, 20 Sep 2013
This review is from: Down To Earth (Audio CD)
The first 4tracks are as good as any sutherland brothers records they ever recorded ,it's cheap so a must have ,loses one star because oh woman is not up to standard.

Down To Earth
Down To Earth by Sutherland Brothers (Audio CD - 2009)