5.0 out of 5 stars Viva Vivaldi
Vivaldi is generally one of the sunniest of composers, and a soft Mediterranean light certainly filters through these five works.
Published on 16 Oct 2012 by GlynLuke

1.0 out of 5 stars awful
Published 13 months ago by Andrew C. Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Viva Vivaldi, 16 Oct 2012
GlynLuke (York UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This lovely disc is worth its price alone for the first of the two lute concertos - here played by the great Narciso Yepes on guitar - which has a central five-minute Largo movement that is about as meditative as Vivaldi ever gets, and all the more impressive for that. Yepes and the Orchestre de Chambre play with all the gravitas at their disposal. The result is captivating. Indeed, the musicianship displayed on all the works here is pretty much flawless.
On the second of the concerti on the disc, we hear Monique Frasca-Colombier on Viola d`amore alongside Yepes. This work too has a beguiling Largo, this time a lighter, more languid one. The combination of guitar, viola and the chamber orchestra is disarmingly delightful. A lovely work.
Takashi and Silvia Ochi are the two players on the concerto for mandolin and concerto for two mandolins, both of which are utterly charming, the instrument happily suiting the composer and this musical form.
A final concerto for 2 flutes, 2 bassoons, 2 violins, 2 guitars, `cello, strings and harpsichord ends this recital - Vivaldi must have been feeling particularly expansive that day. It`s a marvellous piece.
I highly recommend these five concerti by the irrepressible Venetian, and this rather wonderful disc - despite (in my copy, anyway) a complete lack of any notes other than track listings and artists` names. Any chance to hear Yepes in his prime is worth seizing, and he plays like a dream.
Enchanting music.

1.0 out of 5 stars awful, 7 Nov 2013
Andrew C. Mitchell (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I am truly surprised by the other reviews. It is not the performers' fault. They are great. It is the recording. I had forgotten that it was originally recorded in 1972. It sounds both boomy and boxy. I can't work out what on earth the digital remastering has done. I don't expect recordings like this from Deutshe Gramophon. I can't give this away as a present at Christmas time. I would not want a charity shop to be saddled with it. I think it will turn into a raffle prize and I pity whoever wins it. There are next to no sleeve notes. I am not tempted to try the'Resonance' label again in case this is representative. I love back catalogue but not this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classical music to relax to, 22 Jun 2014
Another cd of vivaldi music ! And another cd you can unwind to , will have you relaxed in a few minutes !!

5.0 out of 5 stars most enjoyable, 16 Mar 2013
gtkovacs (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
My New Year's resolution for 2013 was to learn to play the mandolin. Ambitious as, at the age of 53, I have no musical ability.

I bought this for inspiration. Very good, and the mandolin players are faster and more skilful than I will ever be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Pieces & Performers., 27 Mar 2013
Xenophon. (Fife, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
If you like the more popular Vivaldi works you will love this collection.
Nice recordings on a great label,by accomplished artists at a budget price.
Settle down in a quiet place,and appreciate the virtuosity of Yepes,Ochi,and Frasce-Colombier.
I particularly enjoyed the wonderful Mandolin pieces by Takashi Ochi.
I have had this CD for several years and play it frequently,as it is always fresh,and uplifting.
A bargain at this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful music, 11 Jan 2014
wonderful to just sit and listen to - if you are new to Vivaldi as a composer of Lute and Mandolin music you will not be disappointed. Just sit back, close your eyes and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ah, divine lute, 17 Dec 2013
It's my favourite instrument of all - and this heavenly CD is played as I work over and over again. Downlaosded it and sent it to my grandson who plays guitar superbly. Now he is being converted to the divine sounds of the lute with this exalted CD!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars sublime, 21 Nov 2013
such an exquisite collection of perfectly crafted pieces by Vivaldi - so good to know that there is more to Antonio than the Four Seasons!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vivaldi lute mandolin concert, 13 Feb 2010
J. Broster (England) - See all my reviews
I am not a classical music expert but I loved this and it has given me the idea to learn to play the mandolin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Nov 2014
Thanks Very Much !

Vivaldi: Concerto For 2 Violins Lute And Basso Continuo In D
Vivaldi: Concerto For 2 Violins Lute And Basso Continuo In D by Paul Kuentz and Paul Kuentz Chamber Orchestra
Buy MP3 Album£7.99