on 24 July 2010
Up until recently when I bought the complete works Gilbert and Sullivan (1982) [DVD] I only knew the most popular three Gilbert and Sullivan works - Mikado, Pirates, and Pinafore. (Do I call them 'plays', 'operas' or 'musicals'? - I'm not sure!) I am currently watching through the lesser known pieces, with Ruddigore perhaps my favourite so far. The Yeoman of the Guard stands out as quite different from all the rest - to me it has a quite shakespearean quality to the characters and plot, mingling the comic nonsense with a sad and touching ending.

The key character in both comedy and tragedy is the jester Jack Point (Joel Grey) whose sweetheart Elsie is persuaded to marry Colonel Fairfax, a prisoner who is about to be executed in the Tower of London. All is thrown into confusion when Colonel Fairfax is helped to escape by Phoebe, a warder's daughter who is in love with him. The final outcome is happy for some, but not for all.

I really liked Joel Grey in this - he is the actor best-known as the 'Emcee' in Cabaret - his jester reminded me of John Hurt's fool in King Lear, mixing whimsy and sadness. It was a performance you would either love or hate, he is quite theatrical and does tend to steal the scene, also I have read some reviewers who found his American accent out of place, but I didn't mind his accent, and thought he really fitted the role. The other star of the show was Alfred Marks, as the 'assistant tormentor' - a more clearly comic role - and the scenes with these two are together are hilarious.

The rest of the cast was good, the 'look' maybe a little dated, but colourful and the songs are memorable - especially 'I have a song to sing, O!' which is like the theme song, and echoes the lightness and sadness of the story. Apparently there are a few songs missing from this production, but as I knew no better I didn't feel the loss. It is a different kind of Gilbert and Sullivan opera, and not everyone will like it, but I thought it was a bit special.
on 20 December 2011
I have the same item on video and was surprised to find the DVD even better in spite of the vintage of the recording.
As this was sold as a used item I was impressed by its good condition and it even included the original leaflet with notes on the music etc.
on 20 August 2015