5.0 out of 5 stars its christmas
this album never dates allways sounds like its just bin recored bonus is dvd exellent worth every penny great if this dont get you in the christmas spirit nothing will make this an essenial buy this christmas u will not b dissappointed trust me merry christmas
Published on 11 Nov 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok
I think I was expecting more, I was not knocked out by this cd. I listened to it once and then put it in a Christmas stocking as a filler.....
Published 12 months ago by mk

5.0 out of 5 stars its christmas, 11 Nov 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely wonderful Christmas album, 1 Feb 2005
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
Few commercial Christmas albums really appeal to me - too many of them mangle the traditional classics I love, especially the hymns, with all sorts of fancy modern sounds that ring hollow to my ears, and, loving the traditional songs so much, few modern Christmas tunes manage to win me over. Ten years after its release, though, Mariah Carey's Merry Christmas CD remains a perennial Christmas favorite of mine. Mariah's vocal talent puts her head and shoulders above every female vocalist out there, and she injects true feeling and spirit into every song she sings. On this album, she combines the new with the old, making this a Christmas CD that almost everyone can love.
Like many, I was drawn to this CD after hearing the song All I Want For Christmas Is You; I believe it's the best secular Christmas song since Elvis' Blue Christmas. I had to buy the album for this one song alone, but I was also very anxious to hear what Mariah would do with traditional hymns such as Oh Holy Night - my pick for the greatest Christmas song ever written. Many a soprano shies away from truly hitting the high notes at the end of Oh Holy Night, and given Mariah's vocal range, I felt confident she would do the song justice. I was right, as this is one of the best versions of Oh Holy Night I've ever heard. Mariah's voice is equally angelic on Joy to the World, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, and a properly subdued Silent Night. Jesus Oh What A Wonderful Child is a song I was less familiar with, but it makes for a stunning conclusion to an album that does pay real heed to the reason for the season.
Besides All I Want For Christmas Is You, Mariah co-wrote two other songs on the album: Miss You Most (At Christmas Time) and Jesus Born on This Day. The latter is an especially beautiful song that expresses the true meaning of Christmas. She also throws in an exceedingly fun version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town (and, thankfully, I can now think of Mariah rather than Bruce Springsteen whenever I hear this song). The perfect complement to All I Want For Christmas Is You, though, is Christmas (Baby Please Come Home).
Put it all together and you have a true modern Christmas classic featuring a wonderful mix of religious and secular songs that radiate both the fun as well as the serious aspects of the Christmas season. Anyone who loves Christmas - and Christmas music in particular - really should make this CD an annual part of his/her holiday celebration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mariah + Christmas = Great album!, 27 Oct 2004
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
Two of my favourite things in this world are Christmas time, and Mariah Carey! So for me this album was a must! Mariah sounds great on this album and really captures the spirit of Christmas. 'All I Want For Christmas Is You' is a modern day treat, while she performs superb renditions of classics such as 'O Holy Night' 'Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)' 'Silent Night' and 'Joy To The World'. I believe some of Mariah's best vocal performances can be found on 'Merry Christmas'. I love Christmas time and this album always make it a bit more special, and I always look forward to dusting it down for each years' seasonal listening! 5 Stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars JUST BUY IT - IT'S THE BEST CHRISTMAS ALBUM EVER!, 19 Oct 2004
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
This is THE best christmas studio album EVER! We all know Mariah Carey is one of the greats when it comes to vocal ability in the singing department but this is some album! What I like about it the most is that it mostly concentrates on the actual story of christmas - the birth of Jesus Christ (only 4/11 are about the commericial christmas we all know too well!).
Everybody knows the fun and joy that her trademark secular christmas track 'All I Want For Christmas' brings, but the emotion she delievers in worship songs like 'O Holy Night'(best version ever!), 'God Rest Ye Gentlemen' and 'Jesus Born On This Day' is nothing short of incredible! Her version of 'Joy To The World' will also have you clapping and swinging your arms in the air, and 'Jesus What A Wonderful Child' is a real gospel gem.
Believe me once you have had a few listens of this it'll be forever a must-have essential cd to bring out every year during the festive season (although temptation may prove too much seeing as my friend started listening to it after his summer holidays!). I will leave you with three words:
'Just', 'Buy' and emmm...oh yeah ' It'!

4.0 out of 5 stars Joy with Mariah, 16 Nov 1999
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
Have bought this CD years ago and will continue to retrieve it every single Christmas. Mariah Carey brings new light and rhythm to the somewhat old-fashioned traditional fare and original Christmas songs. You will be amazed about the variety of different styles: "Miss you most" is as powerful as it gets. With "Joy to the world" and "O holy night " she mixes old and new songs under the umbrella of her dynamic and cheerful voice. Love the gospel-voiced background singers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mariah wraps the album in gold!, 28 Nov 2004
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
Merry Christmas is the finest Christmas album ever to be released by any solo artist. Mariah Carey's vocals are truly stunning on this album and in my opinion I feel are the strongest on any of her albums. There's a gift for anyone, up beat catchy tunes like the huge hit 'All I Want For Christmas Is You' and 'Santa Claws in coming to town' will have you dancing around your room. There are traditional classics that have had the Carey magic worked on then, 'Silent Night', 'O Holy Night'.
In short Carey has created one of the strongest Christmas albums available. This is not a quick cash in like Destiny's Child's 'The eight days of Christmas', this is a solid, well produced album with traditional songs and new tracks that Mariah wrote and produced herself! Merry Christmas is the biggest selling Christmas album in history and I'm sure will impress anyone who listens to it! Well Done Mariah!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a holy night!, 27 Sep 2001
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
You only have to listen to Mariah's version of O Holy Night to realise what a vocal gymnast and musical interpreter she is. The album as a whole is fantastic, with a near-perfect mix of old and new, upbeat and down tempo. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Christmas Album That Works Outside The Festive Season Also, 3 July 2005
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
Festive albums seem like a time-stalling process, however not every artist that releases one can claim it sold 16 million copies. Merry Christmas was another success from the legendary Miss Mariah. Aside from the expected covers of classics, which she manages to do brilliantly, Carey creates some of her own Christmas masterpieces. The up-tempo plea of "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" and beautiful portrayal of isolated emotions in "Miss You Most (At Christmas Time)" are enough to weigh up the various feelings of the holiday, but nothing compares to her own true Christmas signature song "All I Want For Christmas Is You", capturing the true energy of the festive spirit. Her vocals are not all shed for fun and games with her true range being explored on the hymn, "O Holy Night".

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Christmas album!!, 27 Oct 2004
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
Two of my favourite things in this world, are Christmas time, and Mariah Carey! so this album was a must for me! Mariah really captures the spirit of christmas on the album and sounds great! I think that some of Mariah's best vocal performances can be found here. 'All I Want For Christmas Is You' is a modern day treat and her superb renditions of classics such as 'O Holy Night' 'Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)' and 'Silent Night' really help establish this collection as a must-have Christmas CD! It's a real feel good album, and I love getting it out every Christmas to make me feel festive!! 5 Stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice mix of original and traditional songs, 8 Sep 2009
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
With three original songs, one of which became an international hit for Mariah, together with a cover of a Phil Spector classic, one cover of a very obscure traditional song (Jesus oh what a wonderful child), which I don't remember hearing before, and six tracks featuring covers of famous traditional songs, this album has something for everybody.

Mariah proves here that she can sing upbeat sons such as her big hit (All I want for Christmas is you) and her cover of the Phil Spector classic first recorded by Darlene Love (Christmas (baby please come home)), but she is equally capable with the slower songs such as her other two originals (Miss you most at Christmas time, Jesus born on this day).

Of the six tracks that are devoted to famous traditional songs, one is a two-song medley (Hark the heral angels sing, Gloria in Excelcis Deo) which, together with the other five (Silent night, O holy night, Joy to the world, Santa Claus is coming to town, God rest ye merry gentlemen) offer enough familiarity to make this a good album to play as background music. Mariah sounds good on these songs although among them, I think she sounds best on the medley and Santa Claus is coming to town. Personally, I like to hear her on the obscure stuff best, but it takes a brave singer to avoid the standards altogether when recording a Christmas album.

This is an excellent Christmas album that will give pleasure to many people, not just those who are fans of Mariah's other music.

Merry Christmas