5.0 out of 5 stars The new Pink Floyd?
Published on 27 Oct 2007 by Mushroom

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not great
Published on 22 Nov 2007 by Splossy

5.0 out of 5 stars The new Pink Floyd?, 27 Oct 2007
Mushroom "a Psychedelic Terrorist" (UK or in the Shpongle Multiverse) - See all my reviews
Much anticipated follow up to 'Flock of Bleeps' which developed some pieces that had originally appeared on compilations. Younger Brother are Simon Postford (Hallucinogen/Shpongle) and Benji Vaughan (Prometheus). Their first release contained some quite spaced out experimental chill out, notably 'Crumblenaut' which was a great companion to the Shpongle sound. Fans expecting more of the same are likely to be in for a treat, or surprise and a major evolution in the Younger Brother sound. What Simon and Ben have done for 'The Last Days of Gravity' is create electronic music using a full band of musicians playing 'real' instruments and then taking the sounds and processing them. Anyone who has seen 'Younger Brother' live either at 'The Glade Festival' or any of the 'Twisted Records' parties, or even the recent rare appearance at a club in London will know that they can really pull it off live mixing fluid electronic ambience with the space rock acoustic sounds.
'The Last Days of Gravity' starts with an instrumental 'Happy Pills' that sets the scene as a good rolling introduction to the overall mood of the tracks on the CD. A certain groove based progressive dance music with electronica overtones. It is with 'All I want' that the album really starts to form a familiar but different parallel to other 'Younger Brother' or 'Shpongle' tracks. This track features vocalist 'Ruu' who breathes a subdued love ballad to heaven. This is one of many time displaced moments on the CD Simon Postford makes it all feel a whole lot longer than it's 9 minute running time as the track slowly builds. It starts developing a 'One of These Days' sound and has trappings of other Pink Floyd tracks but much more electronically processed.
Another track featuring 'Ruu' is more downtempo 'Ribbon on a Branch'. Some of this material has the feel of Porcupine Tree or Pink Floyd with it's nostalgia for past memories of childhood or lost love , or even Radiohead and just as the 'Thom Yorke' solo album 'Eraser' was initially hailed as a stop gap while fans waited for the next 'Radiohead' album but became a respected record in it's own right. While fans are thinking this may be a similar stop gap while they await the next Shpongle album, I should imagine this CD will become a work to be discovered and explored, as it feels like a complete suite and repeated listens reveal much more spaced out sounds and depth of mood. Even Simon and Ben's past appreciation of 'The Cure' comes out on the final track 'Psychic Gibbon' and there is a nice potential single with a Psy breakbeat future classic 'I am a Freak'. Because this work is nicely balanced it works as a whole, or as individual tracks, certainly some of the more spaced out material in the middle really takes you somewhere probably not as wonky a dimension as Shpongle but certainly a pure, even, blend of acoustic sounds of bass, drums and guitars, with state of the art electronics and the same quality that you would get from a Postford production or a Prometheus composition. This is not what you would call mainstream, but creates a much more accessible space than the multicultural, multidimensional diversity of Shpongle and it's Psy Chill lineage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different but still great., 30 Nov 2007
Mr. S. Crook (Way out west) - See all my reviews
A different outing to 'A Flock of Bleeps'. There are more voices and real instruments (including pedal steel would you believe) and the sound is brighter, forward and has more conventional beats, and one track that is almost a song with lyrics. Tracks still morph seamlessly one into the next without a pause.
It may be different, but there's enough here to make those who loved 'Bleeps' feel right at home while they're getting used to the rest of it (particularly the first and last track). So it's a gradual progression into pastures new rather than a complete change and anyone that liked 'Bleeps' or anything Shpongle is going to find a lot to keep them playing the disc.

It's difficult music to classify, and it doesn't fit easily into any particular slot. If you like electronic music, Four-tet, Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, even Eat Static or Eno, there are things from all of them that you'll recognise here, but it's still original and different. Well worth a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Retro-future, 7 Dec 2007
Diziet "I Like Toast" (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Hummm...well, I enjoyed the first album even if it did remind me a lot of Man With No Name, and so I thought I'd give this a go.

Yes, it's a good album, some very pretty sounds, beautifully produced but ultimately a bit...well...bland, quite honestly.

The beginning of the first track does sound remarkably like Brian Eno circa The Plateaux of Mirror, Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks era. The second track is probably my favourite with some lovely slide guitar, but still somehow reminiscent of Mr Eno. The rhythm of the second track is also very Jean Michel Jarre. So, taking these elements together makes for an interesting and occasionally tuneful track.

Then the album wanders on - gets quite funky in one place - 'I am a freak, I am unique', in others, yes, there are definitely shades of Pink Floyd, but none of the power and, in a sense, 'commitment' of Pink Floyd.

I've been listening to the album for a week or two now and really only 2 or 3 tracks stand out. As I said, it's beautifully produced, it's quite original in it's mixture of 'real' instruments and influences from Eno, Floyd and Jarre but there's nothing you're going to go away humming or singing to yourself.

Maybe four stars is a bit generous, but three would be mean. And I would be interested to hear a third album.

5.0 out of 5 stars My thanks to my Dentist, 17 Oct 2009
David Briggs "Boro boy" (Kuwait) - See all my reviews
Bizarrely I was recommended to this by my Dentist (who also recommended Talk Talk's 'Spirit of Eden' so clearly a man of some taste). Assuming you like Electronica / Dance - and if not why are you even here? - you should just go and buy this. There are no bad tracks - 'Sleepwalker 2' is a little dull - and several great. Try 'Your Friends are Scary' and 'Ribbon on a Branch'. It's melodic, interesting, and it has variety. For me it's up there with the David Holmes, Cinematic Orchestra and Hybrid so if you like them, try this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different but still a great album, 27 Jan 2008
Firstly, I am in total agreement with Mushroom's review above....I say no more really. (Fab review, great descriptions) :-)

This is a very different album to the Flock of Bleeps album and does definitely remind me of Pink Floyd,, which is fine as I enjoy their sounds equally......wasn't keen to start off with but as I listened more I enjoyed it more and more. These guys are geniuses and great to see that they can come up with different sounds but still you know it's them.

All I Want - not sure what it reminds me of, is it Pink Floyd or someone else? My mind can't think right now ;-) Great track......more uptempo, Pink Floyd, yes......

Elephant Machine - love this track - more psychedelic sound as their previous sound - synth/ electronic sounds.......bassy, great track! One of my favourites definitely.

I am a Freak - again similar to original sounds of theirs....enjoy.

A great album - very different to their original alubm but definitely worth buying........expand the mind!

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 22 July 2009
Pawel Zietek - See all my reviews
Truly a masterpiece of an electronic music with no limits - there's a bit of everything in it.
My favorite electronic album ever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Super Chilled, 22 May 2008
Great album, agree with the other reviews, not a lot extra to add apart from check it out!

A fantastic mellow ambient album that you can just drift away to, best with the lights down low.

Loved the fact that they blended lots of traditional instruments in there as well that just added to the appeal.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good album, a good album to buy if you ..., 17 Sep 2014
This is a good album, a good album to buy if you like Younger Brother, if you haven't heard Younger Brother, you could buy it anyway, because you might like it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 30 Aug 2014
Enjoyed it for the most.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not great, 22 Nov 2007
I was looking foward to hearing this album. I'd only recently come across the old YB album "Flock of Bleeps" and liked some of the tracks on it. I liked some of the less "old school" psytrancy style numbers and this album sounded like it would be in the right direction. I guess it is but for me, it's just lacking in any real bite or strong musical interest. I like the idea of the using "real" instruments (I put real in quotes because all instruments are real) and instrumentalists but I'm not all that enamoured with the results.

I can't see myself listening to this much.

The Last Days Of Gravity