5.0 out of 5 stars Fire! Fire!
This is quite simply a stupendous performance of this much played piano concerto. It is on fire and like fire it flickers and then flares up and then roars ... . But unlike fire it also sings. This is Argerich at her best. The extra is a really delightful arrangement of the Nutcracker Suite for two pianos - which is, of course, played infectiously.
Published on 8 Nov 2009 by enthusiast

1.0 out of 5 stars Listen before buying.
Published on 4 Feb 2008 by R. T.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fire! Fire!, 8 Nov 2009
enthusiast "enthusiast" (sussex, uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 19 Dec 2005
Mr. J. E. Matthew "jackmatthew2005" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
I've listened to dozens of reecordings of this work and two stand out. One is currently unavailable (browning LSO, Ozawa) and this is the other. It's perhaps the 'safest' choice for this concerto as it combines excellent sound with a sharp and exciting performance. It's hard to describe how excellent it really is but I can say that this recording has been widely acclaimed by a wide range of critics so it's a CD that you can buy in confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars crisp and superb, 23 Dec 2009
The Nutcracker Suite arranged here for two pianos is music making at its very best. Delightful from start to finish; 'The Waltz of the Flowers' is worth the price of the disc alone.

Of slightly more questionable worth is the Concerto. All of Argerich's recordings are occasions and the sound quality and playing here is delectable. My reservations are with the choice of tempi which, particularly in the first movement, seem to be just a little too fast. This concerto is an ugly and grandiose beast in some ways, as are all of Tchaikovsky's piano concerti, and I feel that some of the grandeur gets lost here. This recording is a sleek Grand National winner, not a big old frisky cart horse as some listeners may prefer.

On the other hand, it is such a well known piece that hearing it in a slightly different way is no harm at all. But I think you will still go back to your old favourite afterwards!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 5 Aug 2011
Nostalgia (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Yet another unbelievably marvellous performance of both the Piano Concerto and the Nutcracker by this exceptionally talented artiste, although her accompanist also deserves much credit. Even though I have other orchestral recordings of Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker", I thought that a piano version would be something different. What a great alternative! I am delighted with this recording, but then any performance by Martha Argerich, whether alone or accompanied, is likely to be a real treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dramatic account of Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No.1, 23 April 2013
Out of all the recordings of Tchaikovsky's great piano concerto no.1, two stand out for me. One is Ronan O'Hora/James Judd/RPO recorded in 1994, and the other is a CD made in 1995 with the amazing Martha Argerich/Claudio Abbado and the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra(DG). I prefer the dramatic opening movement with the horn fanfare at a fast tempo and that's what happens here. Martha comes in with the big sweeping chords in grand style and maintains that throughout the first movement. In the second movement come the emotional quality and deft touch that make Martha Argerich so listenable. The power and strength in her playing return in the final movement. This is an amazing version of this tremendous work. Also on this CD is a fantastic piano duet of Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker Suite with Martha Argerich and Nicolas Economou and it is exquisitely played by both pianists.

1.0 out of 5 stars Listen before buying., 4 Feb 2008
R. T. (North Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This performance is not to my taste. I found it mannered, erratic and unpleasant. Again and again I found elements of the performance intrusively surprising, especially the 'rubato'. I strongly advocate hearing it before you buy it. Don't assume, as I did, that it will be a solid classic performance. Also, the overall soundscape is muddy, lumpy and just generally unpleasant. One man's meat, but poison for me I am afraid.

4.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD BUY SECOND HAND, 29 Dec 2010
Christopher W. Brierley - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I read the reviews on this CD and on many alternatives.I only know this first concerto well,the others interest me less,I bought a used "as new" one from an Amazon shop and am very satisfied with my bargain at 75% discount ! I cannot add any critical comments as to the quality of the performance,other reviewers have done that with more authority than I can offer,apart from saying it is a driven and exciting one,it is all so personal and subjective. However,where I can offer some comment is regarding the recording quality.There are 3 sounds systems here,a Pure bookshelf system,a Sony 5.1 system with BluRay/DVD/CD player and best of all my Cambridge Audio system,ancient but superior.I tried this CD on all 3.It has a good sound stage,with the whole orchestra laid out in front,you can imagine being there with your eyes shut and sitting relaxed.However string tones,well violins,do go edgy in loud sections,with loss of fine detail and seem to suffer some "interference/modulation" from the rest of the orchestra and the louder the orchestra plays the more noticeable this is,hence the 4 stars.That is not to say the recording is poor,the orchestra is only playing flat out for a small percentage of the time,but for a relatively modern recording I expect better.Just to prove my ears were not playing tricks I put on some other CD's of varous ages from Decca,some remastered as ADD,later ones DDD,none exhibited the same problems.There are many other recordings available of this popular piece and my advice is if you have any doubts try and listen to some samples.

ARRAY(0xb341d1ec)

Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No.1; The Nutcracker Suite
Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No.1; The Nutcracker Suite by Berliner Philharmoniker and Claudio Abbado and Martha Argerich and Nicolas Economou
Buy MP3 Album8.49