on 23 February 2011
There is just the right coupling of orchestras and conductors on these CDs which will appeal to both the long-standing Wagner fans and those who have never heard him before
Rienzi and Parsifal are particularly good to me and these CDs live permanently in my car CD player, driving would be dull without them
Just one negative and that is that the sleeve notes are skimpy and more detail would be beneficial, nevertheless a wonderful buy at the price!
on 14 June 2011
I have to confess to only having downloaded the Rienzi Overture and Parsifal extracts, as I've already got very satisfying recordings of the other tracks. However, as the other reviewer has stated, these two performances in particular are truly top class.

With the Rienzi Overture we have the Vienna Philharmonic under Karl Bohm. It is given a warm, robust and thrilling performance - everything you could want from this music really. In fact I found myself wanting to get up and dance towards the end...yes, I'm a bit crazy like that.

Now we come to Parsifal. This opera was the first Wagner work that I studied as a music student and it has always retained a special place for me. After hearing Haitink conduct it at Covent Garden, I was convinced that this is truly a work of genius. Anyway, enough reminiscing. Here we have one of the finest and most moving performances of the Prelude and Good Friday Music I have ever heard (and I've heard quite a few interpretations). The Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra under Eugen Jochum play like gods. The Prelude has a luminosity and intensity which just blew me away. What I found interesting was that even though the trumpets came across a little bit too much at the climaxes I still found their phrasing incredibily moving. There is passion here as well as contemplation - not something you'd usually say about the Parsifal Prelude.

This wonderful balance of emotions continues into the Good Friday Music, which is both sensitive and passionate in equal measure - with some gorgeous playing in the woodwind. In fact every department of the orchestra gives of their best in this performance. There are no off-putting mannerisms or extreme, idiosyncratic decisions by Jochum. Instead we just have an amazing intelligent performance by top class musicians.

The Parsifal extracts were recorded in 1957 I believe, but the sound quality is absolutely stunning for its age - I couldn't believe it was that old.
on 6 July 2013
Booklet only in French; all recordings pre-1970 - of historical interest, but some a bit quirky for my liking.
For those seeking a first introduction to these pieces, a disc with more informative notes would be better.
on 15 January 2013
What a great CD of Wagner's Overtures and Preludes, good price too! Double CD
What else can one say to this.
on 18 November 2011
Wonderful; can I say more? This is a superb CD which of everyone shoud have a copy. I play it and I am lost in a world of the most wonderful classical music. CJR
on 30 June 2013
Good selection of overtures and preludes to various operas, all splendidly performed by a range of orchestras and conductors. DGG has long been known as a quality label which is why I chose it, though I was surprised to find the opera titles in French rather than German or English - I suppose this must be an 'export' recording. The overtures to The Flying Dutchman and Tannhauser are among my favourites as are the preludes to Acts 1 and 3 of Lohengrin; they did not disappoint.
on 23 September 2013
I really like Wagners music & rarely have time to listen to entire works of his so this CD is perfect to remind me of his talent.
keep this in the car!
on 30 June 2013
It is OK, does not really thrill me however may be partly due to my own hi-fi equipment. It fulfilled my requirement as a CD to quickly locate a piece of Wagner to which I need to refer
on 7 April 2012
Dear Sir,
I was watching a DVD concerning architecture and the background music was Wagners Rienzi and when the DVD was over I decided to purchase some Wagner music that included this overture and after looking at the Amazon web site I chose the double CD of overtures and preludes with Karl Boehm, Otto Gerdes, Rafael Kubelik, Eugen Jochum, and Herbert von Karajan and am absolutely delighted with the music. As usual I am most pleased with the price and delivery and when I need to buy something be it a DVD, book or an electrical item I go to Amazon first. Amazon is a first rate company which makes my life more enjoyable by enabling me to buy things that I need with the utmost confidence. Please keep up the good work.
Eddie Dawe
on 18 June 2015
An excellent collection of Wagner overtures, all very good performances and recordings. Excellent value second hand, 2 cds for £3.00.