4.0 out of 5 stars The never-ending solo
Published on 31 Jan 2006 by C. Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars It's all too much...
Published on 5 April 2010 by Kevin O'Keefe

4.0 out of 5 stars The never-ending solo, 31 Jan 2006
C. Brown "sloan7046" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
For some reason, I own something like three Acid Mothers Temple CDs. I say 'for some reason' because on first listen they are invariably a torrent of noise, churning drums and banshee howling, and I'd scratch my head, and wander exactly why it is I keep buying the damn things. Of course, having shelled out for the damn things, I force myself to listen to them.
And then I get it. Cos that's the thing about the Acid Mothers, they're not a 'first listen' experience. They're not even a second, third or fourth one, to be honest. But it happens,gradually, and you realise once again that what they're doing is brilliant and unique in this time of derivative pop, and you're glad you bought it.
IAO Chant from the Cosmic Inferno is no different. Except it's just one track lasting 50 minutes. Yes. Really. It starts with a glorious, from-the-centre-of-the-universe Buddhist chant, and then spirals into the next dimension with guitar solos a-go-go, occasional yelping, keening lyrics and drums that push and pull the whole shebang along and stop it from being a shapeless mess.
I'm not saying that you'll put this on for an evening of easy listening, but it's incredibly absorbing music. You don't need to be stoned - any music that required chemical enhancement is not good - the Acid Mothers will shift your perceptions with their lunacy.
I'm just waiting for the mood to take me again, so I can dip back into their catalogue. Not for everyone, but for those who need it, good medicine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Acid Mothers Temple & The Cosmic Inferno - 'IAO Chant From The Cosmic Inferno' (Ace Fu Records), 15 Sep 2007
Holy cow! This has to be one of the better Acid Mothers Temple releases I've ever heard and that's saying something. 'IAO Chant' is AMT's homage / tribute to the late Gong drummer, Pierre Morlen; 1952-2005. Don't assume just because you get one track here "OM Riff From The Cosmic Inferno" (51:25) that this CD is in anyway of a let down. Because it most certainly is not. This lengthy piece is SO purely psychedelic it makes my brain hurt. Glad these guys didn't merely repeat the "OM Riff" over and over. Turns out the epic develops into some creative superb shapes, sound passages and segments. You'll hear what I mean. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars The delicate sound of mashed guitars and thrashing noise, 14 Sep 2007
As mentioned in the previous review, this is a monster of an album and is not for the faint-hearted. If you like psychedelic space-rock a la Hawkwind, Gong, Can, Hendrix and the Grateful Dead at their noisiest, you'll eat this up; if you like your tunes to be short and to the point, then look elsewhere. The single massive track that makes up this album is anchored by the mighty 'Om Riff' which is taken from Gong's classic tune 'Master Builder' and stretched out to 51 minutes of frenzied jamming. There are a few ambient moments of Daevid Allen-style gliss guitar and synth in the middle, then it's back to full-frontal feedback assault for another half-hour. Awesome stuff.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's all too much..., 5 April 2010
Kevin O'Keefe (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Chances are if you've happened upon this page you'll have more than a passing interest in the stoner-rock/psychedelia genre and, if so, you may well be pleased by this offering. That said I would issue a note of caution in that this album is quite arduous and heavy-going at times. It is largely an extended jam based around Steve Hillage's 'Glorious Omm' riff which lasts (or 'goes on' depending on your point of view) for over fifty minutes. Truly this is not an album for the faint-hearted: the sonic pummelling will either take you to musical nirvana or you'll be screaming for mercy for it to stop. It does have its lighter passages but mainly this is a full-on auditory assault that leaves this listener (for one) somewhat frazzled by the end of the trip (not that I always make it to the end: on a number of occasions I have leapt over to the CD player and almost ripped it out of the tray when I can no longer stand the relentless ear-battering). Clearly something that provokes such an extreme reaction in me must have something going for it though! Nevertheless I am unsure as to what particular context one would listen to this in: while on the one hand I feel this is far too frenetic and exhausting to complement a herbal tea and cigarette (for example), on the other it is perhaps too out-and-out 'rock' (think Hawkwind at full tilt) to be thought of in terms of a psychedelic freak-out. So, for me it's a bit of curate's egg. However, it is worth remembering that you can download the WHOLE album for the price of a single MP3 track so it's well worth checking out if you're undecided or simply curious. You may want to 'buckle up' though: you're in for quite a ride...

5.0 out of 5 stars Do These Guys Have a Visa For Planet Earth?, 16 April 2011
This review is from: IAO Chant from the Cosmic Inferno (MP3 Download)
A short while ago I embarked on an epic journey of discovery with these dudes. They surely are one of the most far out collectives of musicians on the planet, some of whose albums are practically unlistenable - being 60 minutes of drones and feedback. Speaking of drones - this extended piece (51mins 24 secs) builds from a spacey chant to more spacey chants interspersed with some high power guitar work. Having said that the album has a coherent musical structure and by the standards of some AMT albums it does not leave you with a feeling that the album reviews were more interesting than the music. This album is not a bad place to start if you wanted to dip your toe in the strange waters of Planet AMT. Beware though, they can be quite addictive. I have given it 5 stars for audacity and strangeness.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another cosmic journey from the mothers, 30 Sep 2013
Mr. M. J. C. Jones "MuzMusic" (Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: IAO Chant from the Cosmic Inferno (MP3 Download)
Bookended by the titular chant, contained within is nearly an hour of soaring acid/psych guitar soloing, vocal yelps, sitar and trance-groove rhythm section. It's this spaced-out backbeat that most reminds me of Hawkwind but comparisons to any other band must surely end here. Those familiar with A.M.T will recognize this tried and tested formula and, yes, maybe the band have over-saturated the market somewhat with their glut of releases, but I found this album particularly enjoyable as this kind of droning mesmeric music works so effectively as a one piece of music to an album format.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ooh Ooh, let's all Chant, 17 Aug 2013
Pesto Fingeration (Chez Vegas, Englandland) - See all my reviews

Why ON of course!

My wife hates this. I play it lots. Follow the Master, become a Builder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Further out, 21 Feb 2013
Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen (real name) (Thread rehab facility 37) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Stunning album of more mutoid music from those furry Japanese psyched out rockers. More disturbing chanting and epic mile long guitar solos abound in profusion.

I love this album.

I was writing this and wondering how it is possible to differentiate between various AMT albums by merely using words. I am not quite sure. They mostly follow a certain pattern, as briefly touched upon above. So if you are a fan of the band/genre I reckon you will love this next installment of guitar lead musical overdriven psychedelic madness.

IAO Chant from the Cosmic Inferno