5.0 out of 5 stars Frank Turner is spectacularly good.
Ah, Frank Turner. I am so glad I know about Frank, but I also sort of wish I had the pleasure of discovering him and all his music again. So if you don't know much about him, you are in for an almighty treat.

Published on 18 Jan 2009 by Robbie Swale

3.0 out of 5 stars A good listern
This album was recommended to me. I really like the First Three Years album and the Love Ire one is okay. He sound like a cross between Noel Galligar and the Fatellies. Good value.
Published on 12 Dec 2009 by Paul

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Frank Turner is spectacularly good., 18 Jan 2009
Robbie Swale - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

In short: if you've come this far, you should buy this. You get an awful lot of songs - all of which will improve your music collection - for very little money. Frank Turner is brilliant.

In long:

Thanks to this release, you now only need to buy two products - this collection and his first studio album, Sleep Is for the Week - to get effectively everything Frank has done.

Love Ire and Song is Frank's spectacularly good second studio album. It contains the singles Long Live the Queen and Reasons Not To Be An Idiot, which have received a lot of press coverage over the past few months. It also contains some of the most majestic songwriting I have ever heard. In particular Photosynthesis (a spectacular ode to not wasting your life away), the title track, and the soaring I Knew Prufrock Before He Got Famous (listen to the second half and you will understand). Add to this the uplifting and reassuring Reasons... and the magical and emotional Long Live The Queen, and Love, Ire and Song is an album to utterly savour. Without wanting to over face you, it is my favourite album of all time, and is song after song of brilliance. The words are superb, the music fits them perfectly, and that makes this songwriting of the highest order.

The First Three Years contains a variety of things that will mean different things to you depending on how much you know about Frank: all the tracks from the two early EPs, Campfire Punkrock and The Real Damage; songs from a split Frank did with Jonah Matranga, and a collection of demos, alternative versions and covers. Depending on where you're coming from for this CD, you'll want to hear different things.

If you've never heard of Frank before, then this is a great place to start. On The First Three Years are plenty of songs to set the scene of Frank - particularly the statement of intent that is Nashville Tennessee, and This Town Ain't Big Enough for the One of Me - a hilarious and frightfully accurate account of growing up in a small town. But then that is the joy of Frank - the ability to say things that at once seem utterly honest and unique to him, and yet at the same time which sum up all the things you've felt in a way far more articulate and poetic than you will ever manage. (Or at least that's what the joy of Frank is for me.)

If you've got Frank's solo albums, but only come to it recently, then you may not have had a chance to get the two EPs, and the songs from them are worth buying this for alone. The songs from them are of as high a quality as those on the albums, and the EPs don't seem to be available on CD any more.

As someone who quickly gobbles up everything that comes from Turner, I had most of these songs already from one location or another, but The First Three Years was still worth getting. Of the non EP songs, the Truck Session version of Imperfect Tense (available from Frank's web site if you bought Long Live The Queen) is probably my favourite: the rocky album track recast here as a heart-rending slow anthem. Other than that, and the rock version of Jet Lag - which works really well too - the covers (including The Postal Service and Black Flag) are all interesting and the beauty of them is that Frank means them. And that includes the closer, Dancing Queen, which is awesome. The demos are interesting for Frank aficionados, and if you haven't got Sleep is for the Week, then you also get versions of two of its best tracks - The Real Damage and Worse Things Happen At Sea.

As you can probably imagine, this music means a lot to me. If you get even 1/100th of the enjoyment from these CDs that I have, it will be money well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's be radical thinkers who never have to test-drive the least of their dreams, 25 April 2010
I was first introduced to Frank Turner by Love, Ire & Song's, title track, the album's dramatic centerpiece. Putting on an mp3 of the song I acquired from a friend a few months after the album's release in March 2008, I was surprised by how moved I found myself. Turner's rage against apathy, as exemplified in the heartfelt chorus of "Let's be young, let's be crass enough to care," was unlike anything I'd heard before. I searched on YouTube for more of his material, and discovered Reasons Not to Be An Idiot - an uplifting song which urges the listener to enjoy life rather than wallow in his own self-pity. As soon as I heard Frank sing the lines: "She's not as pretty as she thinks she is - just picture her after she's had kids! I bet she sits at home and listens to The Smiths..." I was sold.

I got the album soon after, which became the soundtrack of my summer - my fondest memory being listening to it on the walks I'd started taking. The quality of songwriting, as sampled by my first exposure, turned out to be constant throughout. Turner's songs often take a narrative form, and as such everything he writes tends to have a point, be it the lamentation of the past in Jet Lag, the refusal to resign oneself to a monotonous adulthood in Photosynthesis or the celebration of friendship in St. Christopher Is Coming Home. In a generation with such lyrical insights as "Oh oh oh, this sex is on fire," it was refreshing to discover an artist who actually has something to say.

If one word can best describe Turner, it's 'genuine'. Few other artists are so detached from any superficial musical scene or trend. Consequently it's hard to define his music - it's too epic to be folk, but too acoustic-based to be rock. Perhaps it's best just to describe it as heartfelt music produced by an ordinary, but nevertheless interesting and intelligent man. It's on account of his integrity that he's able to pull off a beautiful song such as Long Live the Queen, written about the death of a close friend, without appearing crass. Likewise, the incredible opener I Knew Prufrock Before He Got Famous could not have been written by any other artist. Beginning as a quiet pondering on everyday existence, the song eventually explodes and culminates with the potent statement, "The only thing that's left to do is live." Turner possesses the skill to take the simple aspects of contemporary life and turn them into a celebration.

Throughout the album, Frank covers pretty much the entire emotional spectrum - amusement, joy, anger, sadness, love and inspiration. The running theme throughout is that every song will make you feel something. It is for this reason that Frank Turner, and his fantastic second album, should be treated preciously.

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible. Heartwarming, brutally honest and melodic, 6 April 2009
I stumbled upon this after downloading 'Reasons Not To Be An Idiot' off i-Tunes as a free single of the week. The songwriting is spellbinding, every time I listen to the 'Love, Ire and Song' album in full I am drawn in completely to it's stories of love, loss, regret, death, life and growing up. He sings with conviction and energy and most importantly the songs are great.
'The First Three Years' album was a brilliant surprise as I don't normally bother with extra tracks or rarities. The songs are brimming with nostalgia, melody and again are just great songs. The covers of established tracks such as 'Dancing Queen' and 'You Are My Sunshine' are sung faithfully in style to the original versions and help enhance the feeling of nostalgia.
I find it hard to believe that there is nothing here that anybody could enjoy. The songs are truthful, relatable and reassuringly compassionate and easy to listen to. Give it a try, you get a lot for your money both in quantity and quality with the 2CD version I've reviewed.

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous frank, 31 May 2014
Amazing love frank turner he has so much material out there and this wont dissapoint! Love the live tracks on here too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it!, 19 Jan 2014
Amazing album, any Frank fans will love this. Some songs familiar from gigs, others new to me, but as always with Frank a top quality album! And the added bonus of the first 3 years album makes it even better!

4.0 out of 5 stars songs displaying his range, anger and soft side, 27 July 2013
C. Walker (winchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Ire & Song + The First Three Years [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
as a local resident it is good to hear our local boy sing about Winchester and the Downs as well as youngsters' misbehaviour and the Thatcherite cause of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this man!, 20 July 2013
This is the first Frank Turner album I ever bought, I listened to this and have never looked back. I have since bought all his albums and now consider him to be one of my favourite artists.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Lirics, Great Sound, 31 Mar 2013
Like the intelligent nature and lyrices of Frank Turner and the acoustic sound that most tracks have, reminds me of Billy Brag but more now!

5.0 out of 5 stars You Don't Get Better Than This (Apart from his new album), 13 Jan 2013
Love, Ire & Song is a Punk-Folk album and is quite clearly at the top of its genre. I Reccomend Frank Turners new album aswell "England Keep My Bones". You will not regret purchasing this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, 13 Nov 2012
A cracking collection of beautiful, thought provoking, heart breaking, rock n roll folk poetry protest tunes. Frank ticks most of the boxes that exist. This is as fine a compilation as any I own, long live the new king!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›