1 Review

1.0 out of 5 stars Very few are the original hits. Honest Title: Hits of the 60s Recreated - Vol 1, 3 Nov. 2009
AlanMusicMan (North Cornwall) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Back to the 60's - Vol. 1 (MP3 Download)
Oh dear, here we go again: About 20% of these may be the original hit recordings (for example "Young Girl" sounds like the hit) but others are laughably bad attempts to recreate the originals: "It's my Party", "Build me up Buttercup" and "Bad to Me" jump out as especially poor recreations. The version of "Love Grows" sounds like a Saturday Night band doing what they can remember of the backing!

One to avoid for anyone who truly cares about the hits of this era - especially as the actual hit recordings can be got on cheaper compilations right here on Amazon.

It's a strange thing this. A particular recording of a song is a hit. But subsequently the music industry seems to think it's okay to allow almost any number of recreations of that hit recording to be sold to the public, as if it were the original hit, without comment. In this case the album would be more honestly titled "Hits of the 60s Recreated - Vol 1".

I wonder what would happen if this same ethos were applied to other products, say, books. How would Terry Pratchett fare if he issued 10 different re-written versions of "The Colour of Magic"? Or, how would we feel if we bought a car and found, when it was delivered, that though it had the same name and roughly the same shape, it had been completely re-engineered inside from the one we test drove? Probably quite upset I should think.

Back to the 60's - Vol. 1