5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars, DEFENITELY!!
Published on 7 Jun 2009 by Bart

3.0 out of 5 stars Great acting, wrong story
Firstly, I think the synopsis of Incendiary (before the reviews), where it describes Michelle Williams' character as a 'promiscuous adulteress' is way off the mark. Although she does have an affair, this seems to be something she enters into after much hesitation and is in no way promiscuous. I found those comments in the synopsis a bit harsh and mildly misogynous...
Published on 7 Feb 2011 by H. Mclean

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Great acting, wrong story, 7 Feb 2011
H. Mclean (Canberra) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Incendiary [DVD] (DVD)

This movie takes a route that's quite different from the book, which (I thought) concentrated more on the erosion of civil liberties by the government and how it manipulates and destroys people's lives, while the film is more about the personal grief of a single person. I found these differences made the original story almost irrelevant to the tale being told in the movie. The story of personal grief told in the film could easily have been accomplished by way of an original screenplay, without adapting the book at all.

Michelle Williams is outstanding in this film, easily the best thing about it. Her accent is very convincing and more that once I got teary watching her performance. The scene where Ewan McGregor's character Jasper visits her in the hospital was particularly moving. McGregor is very good too but I felt his character was sidelined about halfway through and by the end was largely irrelevant.

As for the direction, I thought it at times was too sentimental. For example, the flashbacks of her son on the beach were used far too much. I felt as though I was being clobbered and at one point I said out loud, 'Yes, I get it! Give it a rest!'. I also found the overuse of sentimental music during these scenes irritating. I think this is because I was expecting a different story - ie the one in the book. In the end, the finished film was worthy but not 'incendiary' in the way the book was.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars, DEFENITELY!!, 7 Jun 2009
This review is from: Incendiary [DVD] (DVD)
A real thriller, if ever I saw one. Characters beautifully cast, scenery well chosen and atmosphere full of suspense. Core of plot is guilt trip by unfaithful wife. Mother and son bonding, search for lost spouse, illicit love affair turning serious and a police officer with a hidden agenda could easily have been ingredients for an excessive adaptation of Chris Cleave's novel. No mediocrocy here! Sharon Maguire managed to direct the above items into a stylish and moving yet introvert film. The overall chemistry between Michelle Williams and Ewan McGregor certainly helped things along. I'd recommend this film to anyone who's into 'intelligent action' drama.
Note about the accent spoken in the film: Of course I recognised the Cockney slang. A welcoming change from any American chatter. While English is not my native speech I fully understand British accents, whereas I always need to use subtitles when watching an American film. With EastEnders being my favourite soap, watching Incendiay almost felt 'like home'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very intriging movie., 21 Oct 2010
This review is from: Incendiary [DVD] (DVD)
I thought this film was interpeted extremely well and there was allot of natural chemistry between the actors which makes them particularly adapted to their roles. It's refreshing to see a film that reflects real life and more atune to the magiority of us struggling to make ends meet. It was exquisite to see a real mother loving her child which I saw little of in general in my life.
The film kept me interested and wondering what would happen next. I really loved Michelle Williams character who at first seemed quite a flirt then showed her true colors as a mature woman willing to stand up for what she felt and not take the easy way out.

5.0 out of 5 stars an unexpected gem, 29 Oct 2012
E. Ramshaw - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Incendiary [DVD] (DVD)
we bought this dvd on a whim and probably due to its cast but we didnt get around to watching it for some time. it was nothing like that we had assumed it would be which was a plus point for definate.

Its well shot, the script is superb and keeps you watching throughtout, you dont wander or get bored and its sudden change part way in is shocking. it is often hard going and very emotional especially if you have children or have been in this situation yourself which im sad to say people have been now but every angle is covered with sensitive care and never once apologises for being harsh or hard to watch. well acted by everyone and some surpising twists in human emotion.
a high quality classy film but dont expect to feel good after. superb and will recommend to all

4.0 out of 5 stars "Incendiary" on BLU RAY - Compatibility Issues With This 'US' Disc..., 19 Mar 2014
Mark Barry (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
A good film that (if you'll forgive the pun) failed to set the box office alight - despite it's great cast and strong material.

However British fans wanting to own it on BLU RAY are stymied. The American BLU RAY on Image Entertainment is REGION A LOCKED - so it won't play on our machines unless they're chipped to be 'all regions' (which few are).

At present there appears to be no Euro BLU RAY alternative (a region B issue) - so once again British film fans find their viewing pleasure restricted by dumb Region Coding...

4.0 out of 5 stars Michelle Williams is excellent!, 10 Aug 2012
ReviewBlog51 (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Incendiary [DVD] (DVD)
'Incendiary' is one of the better British films that I've seen in recent years. It is the story of a beautiful young mother (played by Michelle Williams) who has an affair with a journalist (played by Ewan McGregor) and suddenly, her whole life is torn apart when her husband and young son are killed in a suicide bombing at a soccer match. With her life now turned upside down, broken and alone, she tries to deal with her terrible loss and sets out to search for the truth. As you can probably expect, it is a very emotional film and Michelle Williams gives a brilliant performance.

'Incendiary' is definitely worth watching, and really, it is Michelle's acting which is almost reason enough to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome and Impactive film, 15 Jun 2009
French 1 "C" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Incendiary [DVD] (DVD)
Couldn't disagree more with some of the poor reviews on here regarding this film. Being a student of film and an avid film enthusiast, I thought it was fantastic and a complete success for British film. The acting was flawless, it was gritty, real, sad, frightening, and uplifting. Rarely does a film combine so many genres so effortlessly. If you are a parent, make sure you have tissues at the ready. I love the fact that it isn't so completely structured, like life itself, but that it builds slowly in drama, reaching a truly unforgettable finale. See it!

3.0 out of 5 stars tv film, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Incendiary (Amazon Instant Video)
low budget film 4 not a bad story but certainly not a blockbuster.good story and a few top actors in it but didnt blow my socks off.just ok..

4.0 out of 5 stars Incendiary DVD, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Incendiary [DVD] (DVD)
I agree with many of the critics
Bold ambitious well acted, but somehow didn't pull together Too many questions left unanswered about the main characters

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: Incendiary [DVD] (DVD)
Wonderful film about a terrorist attack on a London football stadium & the after effects it has on the woman who lost her young boy & husband in the terror. As she struggles to come to terms with what has happened she befriends the son of one of the bombers. This helps us see it's not only the victims' families who are affected by these sorts of attacks & there is a young boy on the other side waiting for his father to come home.
Michelle Williams is fantastic & utterly convincing as the mother who loses her beloved son & husband in the terror attack. I felt a real connection to her character & could feel her heart breaking on screen. She's the main draw in this film, & the other characters play bit parts in her life. Her accent was also a nice touch.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa117f810)

Incendiary [DVD]
Incendiary [DVD] by Chris Ellis (DVD - 2009)
6.25