5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price and easy to fit
Published on 14 Nov 2010 by Tracey1921

3.0 out of 5 stars Express It's Not
Very good value for money, very easy to fit onto the tow bar, very stable even when loaded but difficult to load a gents & Ladies bike. Soome of it is technique but you need some extra straps & bungie cords to hold the bikes from rattling or touching the car. Good for occasional use but for regular use the more expensive model is easier to use but more difficult to put...
Published on 4 Oct 2010 by Brian T

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price and easy to fit, 14 Nov 2010
This review is from: Thule Xpress 2-Bike (Automotive)
We've had a cycle carrier for a number of years but it was the kind that fitted on the back of a hatchback with straps and hooks that fastened around the edge of the door. It used to be really time-consuming and laborious to tighten them all and then it would take additional time to put the bikes on which could be made more difficult depending on how high they had to be lifted. With this Thule Xpress, it really is Xpress! It literally takes two seconds to fix the carrier over the towbar and the bikes just hook over the two arms.

Initially, I was a bit uncertain how it would work as looking at the picture in isolation, you would expect it to move about or twist around the towbar but there is a really helpful videoclip on YouTube that shows you exactly how to fix it and once its in place it really is rock solid. The only problem I had was in not realising how hard you have to press down to get it to engage over the towbar as it looks pretty effortless on the video but you actually have to press it down quite firmly.

As with any bike carrier, it does take a couple of practice goes to decide the best way of loading your bikes and placing the pedals so they don't scratch your bumper. For women's bikes you simply need to twist down the rubber hook so that it attaches vertically to the seat stem rather than using the hook horizontally as for a man's crossbar. You also need a couple of bungees to make it really secure and keep the wheels from moving around too much. Finally, it is also likely to obscure your numberplate so you'll need to make provision for that, but on the whole its perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome bit of kit, 17 Nov 2010
Jamie (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thule Xpress 2-Bike (Automotive)
When I first heard that this item clamped onto the ball of your towing hitch I called Thule to question how effective this could be. I envisaged it would slip once any load was applied. Having been reassured that it works very well I proceeded to buy the item (not through Amazon I might add).
I've had many different bike racks and this is by far the best. It now lives in the boot of my car and can be fitted in seconds! You literally place the bottom onto the tow hitch, open the arms in a scissor action and it clamps into place. Simple but very effective.
My experience with previous bike racks is that they have clamps that fit around the boot lid or straps that hold everything in place. These in my opinion always succeed in scratching your paintwork. This bike rack however touches nothing bar the towing hitch. It's rigid as well and you can even lift your own body weight on it!

Points to consider:
You may wish to check this item is suitable for small bikes.
It works best with triangular framed bikes but I've also managed to load ladies bikes by rotating the clamps around on the horizontal bars and attaching to the vertical post under the seat.
The strap on mine is a bit short in my opinion but since I usually only load one bike it's not much of an issue. You may wish to have an additional strap at hand though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't be faulted, 14 July 2011
Peter Scott "peter46077" (Norfolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thule Xpress 2-Bike (Automotive)
Like other reviewers I couldn't believe that this would work. It just clips on to the towball in a few seconds, with no other connection to the car. You must put your fingers in the correct places or they might be nipped. The other important point is that the towball must be completely free from grease. If like me you use your towbar for towing it will be greasy and this must be cleaned off with petrol or some other solvent. It works perfectly. So far I have only had lightweight road bikes on it, but, heaving on it, I have no doubt that it could carry heavier bikes. It makes the strap-on racks look like something out of the stone age. Make sure you buy a light-bar and a number plate, to avoid being stopped by the plod. If you regularly carry bikes, it would be worth paying for a towbar just for this rack.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best, 2 Mar 2013
This review is from: Thule Xpress 2-Bike (Automotive)
This bike rack is so easy to use! I was fed up with all the hassle involved with connecting my larger bike rack, especially if I only had to transport one or two bikes. This is one of the best buys I have made. Very easy to connect, very secure, folds down to very small size so easy to stick in the boot....just in case! Brilliant product, would highly recommend......only one thought. At the moment I have not needed to buy the light/number plate board as I have only used the rack locally, I suspect it may be necessary to use one if travelling on major roads.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems like an ingenious design - help avoid scratching your bikes!, 21 Jan 2013
This review is from: Thule Xpress 2-Bike (Automotive)
I bought this after making do with a Halfords strap type. Although it did the job it was a faff to attach it to the boot and then strap on the bikes taking about 10 minutes.

However the main reason I got it was when we used this type somehow my bike came away with quite a few nasty scratches that I was not best pleased with!

Also the Halfords one we have doesn't really fold up small so is not suitable to put in the boot. This one has a very simple "scissor" action and looks incredibly easy to fit - haven't actually used it yet, but will easily fit in the boot.

I bought it for what I thought was a very good price of £44 from a 3rd Party seller & fulfilled by Amazon. Had no problems with their service or delivery. Am docking one point because it didn't come in a Thule box - wasn't expecting that but appears new and seeing that it saved me a tenner I don't really care!

My hybrid weighs well under 15 KGs so I think anyone complaining about it only being able to hold 30 Kgs needs to learn to read as it clearly says that in the item description. As for the idiot that says he didn't know you needed a towbar....

Thanks to the guy from Belfast who said he had got a spare towball and attached it to the shed - great idea - think I will be doing the same in my garage and saves getting the workstand out.

Once I have actually tested it out I will take some pics of bikes on it and probably upgrade my score over the missing box!

Cheers

5.0 out of 5 stars A fab bike carrier for all!, 28 Jun 2012
This review is from: Thule Xpress 2-Bike (Automotive)
It is really quick to put onto your tow bar. I bought another one that moved about even when adjusted, thought I was doing something wrong, but sent it back because I wasn't too sure about the safety of it! Got the Thule one and it is FAB!!! I took it out and thought, here we go again, but no, it fitted on very securely indeed. Had to loosen it a bit to be honest. Went to my first triathlon and was the quickest at getting my bike off the car and the rack safely stored inside the car, it took seconds, wish the same had been for my race!
We have had two bikes on it, no problem at all. The straps fit snug and secure. I have shown it off to my neighbours who can't believe how quick and easy it is to use plus how secure it all is with bikes on. I would recommend it to anyone who needs to get one or two bikes onto the car.
We actually got it for my husband and daughter to whizz the bikes onto the car for a quick bike ride at weekends, rather than use our larger tow bar rack for more bikes that takes more effort to get on the car!
The only points to think about though are that you can't open the boot when it is on and you need a padlock to secure it if leaving the bikes and rack unattended. There is a hole on the rack for a padlock though.
I think it is a great rack and worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius cycle carrier, 31 July 2011
This review is from: Thule Xpress 2-Bike (Automotive)
Genius, no messing about strapping things onto the back of the car, having a bicycle bouncing off the rear windscreen !!! Fitting time approx 5 seconds, really secure and lockable, inspired design. I was a little nervous about clamping onto the towball, but friends have loaded over 80kilos onto a different device with a similar mechanism and its fine. happy to recommend. Make sure you have a towbar !!!! This item clamps onto a towball !!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars On in seconds, 5 Jun 2011
This review is from: Thule Xpress 2-Bike (Automotive)
Place the two small cylinders over the hitch ball and push down very hard on the centre handle. Strong and adjustable rubber straps hold the bikes nice and firm. Does take a bit of time to find the best position for the bike, which needes to be as level as possible and with an even amount of overhang on either side of the car. The hole for passing a padlock through is a liitle small but as the rack is so quick to remove and then place in the boot it is not realy an issue.
Great product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shame I had to send it back, 23 May 2013
This review is from: Thule Xpress 2-Bike (Automotive)
I bought this in a hurry to take on holiday with us so we could take the bikes more easily than dismantling them to go inside the car.
After delivery I managed to fing our luggage scales and weighed the bikes to find the combined weight was 50 kilos. They are only two normal adult bikes.
At this weight they were far over the 30 kilo maximum for the bike rack.
This is a very clever and very well made piece of kit, just make sure you have lightweight bikes to go on it!!!
If it have been capable of carrying our bikes we would not have returned it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use, Easy to store., 18 Mar 2013
This review is from: Thule Xpress 2-Bike (Automotive)
I saw this and was unsure of its stability on the back of the car, so watched clips of it in action on you tube. I had no need to worry as it is brilliant. Easy to fit, light to store, and securely holds two bikes with no problems. Everyone who has seen it is blown away by its simplicity. Great buy!

Thule Xpress 2-Bike